IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Remote Engine Start Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 10:33 AM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waxy
They're using the Viper Smart Start component.
It's about $200 for the unit, and another $200 for theover ride module.
Who's "they?" the guys in this thread used the FACTORY ADD ON version, not the DEI (Viper) smart start. They claim it works, which I don't understand why it would NOT work given how a remote start works (simulates the start sequence for a car).

I have an appointment in a week to have an aftermarket put in my 2014 IS350 with nav so we will see how that goes.
Old 01-08-14, 10:40 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reeladdict
Who's "they?" the guys in this thread used the FACTORY ADD ON version, not the DEI (Viper) smart start. They claim it works, which I don't understand why it would NOT work given how a remote start works (simulates the start sequence for a car).

I have an appointment in a week to have an aftermarket put in my 2014 IS350 with nav so we will see how that goes.
what aftermarket are you installing? mind sharing the cost of equipment and installation? let me know how it goes, i'm interested to see if there are any bugs.
Old 01-08-14, 11:01 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reeladdict

There's a thread for it somewhere last year, there was a huge commotion on what works and what didn't.

He installed the Viper Smart Start, said he had no issues, only 1 user did this, their name escapes me.
Old 01-08-14, 01:41 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I find that even with push start, it is very irritating to start the car.

Often times I want to start the car and wait ouside, so I end up throwing the keys inside the car, sticking my foot to the brake, and pressing the start button. Very irritating and annoying.

Just wished there was a fancier looking Lexus remote that comes with the push start.
Old 01-08-14, 01:46 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a thread for it somewhere last year, there was a huge commotion on what works and what didn't.

He installed the Viper Smart Start, said he had no issues, only 1 user did this, their name escapes me.
Yeah but I am saying Apexer installed the factory remote start himself, the one from Lexus that you program your factory fob to. That works just fine accourding to him.

what aftermarket are you installing? mind sharing the cost of equipment and installation? let me know how it goes, i'm interested to see if there are any bugs.
I am not sure of the model yet, I will be talking to them when I bring it in about specifics. They told me $350 installed for everything, so probably basic start/door locks etc. I don't care as long as I dont have to get into a freezing car anymore, its a lease so I am just looking to get out as cheap as possible.
Old 01-08-14, 02:00 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aTeAse
I find that even with push start, it is very irritating to start the car.

Often times I want to start the car and wait ouside, so I end up throwing the keys inside the car, sticking my foot to the brake, and pressing the start button. Very irritating and annoying.

Just wished there was a fancier looking Lexus remote that comes with the push start.
Even with the remote start, it turns the car on idle.

Then you'll have to start the car when you decide to drive.

The ECU says it'll turn the car on for 10 minutes and shuts off.
Old 01-08-14, 02:10 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Even with the remote start, it turns the car on idle.

Then you'll have to start the car when you decide to drive.

The ECU says it'll turn the car on for 10 minutes and shuts off.
What do you mean by starting the car when I decide to drive?
Meaning the car is already 'started' but I just have to press the button to fully engage?
Old 01-08-14, 02:38 PM
waxy
Pole Position

What do you mean by starting the car when I decide to drive?
Meaning the car is already 'started' but I just have to press the button to fully engage?
You are correct.

I do what you do every morning.

Wake up > Open Car Door > Step on Brake > Press Start > Close Door
Old 01-08-14, 02:57 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

You are correct.

I do what you do every morning.

Wake up > Open Car Door > Step on Brake > Press Start > Close Door
Sorry what I meant was I want to start the car without actually having to set my foot on the brake.

It's annoying that I have to sit inside to start it up, or have half my body with my foot touching the brake and pressing the start button to start it up.
Old 01-08-14, 02:59 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
this just doesn't make sense with the whole remote start fiasco! during my purchase i told my dealer i wanted remote start in my 3IS. The consultant and manager said its not available since i have nav on the car. i called lexus corporate and they checked with engineering and said its not compatible with cars that have nav in them. checked with the chief mechanic and parts guy at the dealership again and they too said its not compatible.

i initially thought that lex's disclaimer about it not being compatible was if you had a nav and wanted the RES+ remote start. i thought if you had a nav and wanted the regular remote start, it was compatible and fine. everyone at at lexus (dealerships, consultants, techs, corporate) is saying it can be done.. how the hell did apexer and kanphoto do it then is my question??????? if these everyday average joes can install it and make it work, maybe they should go take over the engineering department as lexus!
im with you brother! if you ever find a solution to get RES+ installed on a nav equipped unit let us know. ill be in line to get mine.
but I think the problem is the ECU needs to be programmed with a tech stream at the dealer. and as a dealer they cannot install or modify the system for a car not in the system. or for example if they set up the computer for a nav equipped car there is no option in the computer to reflash the ecu. therefore the only way to get past it is to say your not plugged into a nav equipped car. I am sure lexus does not stand behind the warranty or the operation of the car if it was installed against the manufacturers wishes.
Old 01-08-14, 03:20 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Sorry what I meant was I want to start the car without actually having to set my foot on the brake.

It's annoying that I have to sit inside to start it up, or have half my body with my foot touching the brake and pressing the start button to start it up.
I don't actually sit in the car.

You can just put your foot on the brake and press start.
The key just has to be near the car in order for it to operate, at least for me.
Old 01-08-14, 03:23 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Old thread, but should shed some light.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ote-start.html
Old 01-08-14, 03:51 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I don't actually sit in the car.

You can just put your foot on the brake and press start.
The key just has to be near the car in order for it to operate, at least for me.
That's the irritating part. Having half my body in, one foot on the break and pressing the start button.
Old 01-08-14, 04:38 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

That's funny I do the same thing!

And I always think to myself, "there's gotta be a better way."
Old 01-09-14, 06:22 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
im with you brother! if you ever find a solution to get RES+ installed on a nav equipped unit let us know. ill be in line to get mine.
but I think the problem is the ECU needs to be programmed with a tech stream at the dealer. and as a dealer they cannot install or modify the system for a car not in the system. or for example if they set up the computer for a nav equipped car there is no option in the computer to reflash the ecu. therefore the only way to get past it is to say your not plugged into a nav equipped car. I am sure lexus does not stand behind the warranty or the operation of the car if it was installed against the manufacturers wishes.
quite honestly, i think i might just go with an aftermarket piece..better distance, 2-way page, and i hear that there are some remote starters that allow you to start your car, open the door (without the engine shutting off), and then just go. i'll have to read more into that. best part is my wife and i are planning on having a kid this year, so she is fully on board for the remote start.. even if it costs 1k.

Quick Reply: Remote Engine Start Anyone?