IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MERGED SNOW tire and rims discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-17, 10:13 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter tires : had Blizzak WS80's, now what?

Hi all,

I drive a RWD in harsh winter conditions here in Montreal. My WS80's have served me well but I need to change (at least) my rear tires, might keep 2 tires for the front. I run a square setup. I'm thinking either the same thing or something similar, like the Nokian. Unfortunately I'm not looking for dry pavement performance, so no Blizzak LM's or Michelin Xice... I really need the extra snow and ice traction.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-15-17, 06:17 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

I also have the Blizzaks and chose them over Nokian based on price and availability (I'm near Quebec city). Few shops here sell Nokians and availability could be a problem if something should arrive mid winter and a replacement is needed.
That's why I went with the WS80 on my IS (AWD).
Old 10-15-17, 12:54 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Weird you're only replacing the rears, should have even wear if you're rotating with a square set up. If price isn't an issue i would go with nokians have only heard good things about them. I would also keep the tires all the same brand (replace all 4), but your call. You might have luck just selling two tires on kijiji for the people with FWD that cant afford a whole set of winter tires.
Old 10-15-17, 06:45 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

The wear is equal on all tires, but they're not completely worn out, that's why I would keep 2 for the front, and add 2 new ones for the back. I haven't had any difficulty driving last winter, it's just the backend that was difficult to control sometimes (again I'm RWD)
Old 10-15-17, 06:49 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
The wear is equal on all tires, but they're not completely worn out, that's why I would keep 2 for the front, and add 2 new ones for the back. I haven't had any difficulty driving last winter, it's just the backend that was difficult to control sometimes (again I'm RWD)
If you only replace the rears, than will you not rotate them? or just keep it with front old rear new?
The way you're planning you'll perpetually replace 2 tires at a time.
I heard from somewhere that Blizzaks are just soft compound layered on top of all season type compound. Maybe even if its not worn all the way down, you're not getting the grip you need.
Old 10-15-17, 06:56 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Yeah I wouldn't be rotating anymore, and yes I would change only 2 tires at a time, but I wouldn't waste 2 relatively good tires for the front wheels each time.
Old 10-15-17, 06:59 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Well in that case, i would go with the best snow tires i could get. Since you really want more grip in the rear.
Old 10-16-17, 06:23 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm from Alberta where the snow gets quite bad too. After trying out all the major player's snowtires, WS80, blizzak LM's, X-ice, Nokian R2, pirelli winter carving, I personally perfer the WS80. Those things performs so well in snow and ice. Very predicable compared to the others mentioned. The have also always lasted me 3 very good winter seasons and I've had another set which lasted me 4-5 winter seasons on a much lighter car than the IS.

If you guys are allow to use studded, nothing beats studded.
Old 10-28-17, 10:48 AM
mastalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also looking for 225/45R17 wheels and winter tires for my IS350 F Sport. Any good deals out there right now?

Is the only side effect of not having the TPMS sensors that the TPMS light stays on all winter? Or will it negatively impact the traction control or AWD in any way? The TPMS light staying on all winter won't bother me, but only if it doesn't affect any of the other systems...
Old 10-28-17, 11:56 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

Dunno about good deals, but make sure the wheels fit before buying!

Ans yes, only the TPMS light will be lit, no others adverse effects whatsoever.
Old 10-28-17, 02:50 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

i have bridgestone blizzak ws80’s on the stock 18” f sport rims
Old 10-28-17, 08:05 PM
kennyboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by condosales
Hey guys,

Went in to a well known tire shop in Toronto last week to get an idea of pricing for a winter tire & wheel set-up for my 2015 IS350 F-Sport AWD.

I wanted steels with Nokian Hak R2's. I was told there are NO steel rims that will PROPERLY fit my car?! The guys seemed knowledgeable and very helpful and did research in answering my questions. They said the front caliper is too big on this car for a steel wheel.

They have the Nokians for $235 a tire (225/45R17). While there was no steels to fit my car, there was even very few alloys that would even fit, again properly. The ones that would fit properly (no spacers, etc.) were from Fastco, and were about $232 a wheel (17" alloy, non staggered, all wheels/tires same size.

They stressed when going to other tire shops to be careful as there are many shops that could give me many more options that they could MAKE fit, but there are very few options that are a proper fit.

The shop I went to has multiple locations, good reviews and I'm inclined to believe them, but I still find it hard to believe that there are no steel wheel options for my car? Total price out the door was $2500. 4 Nokians, 4 Fastco allow rims, and 4 sensors and balance. Seems way too steep to me.

Any options/comments?

Thanks in advance!
Check them out
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/simp...742/#p28261057

I'm debating between 17 vs 18 setup, pictures or advice anyone
??

Last edited by kennyboi; 10-28-17 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-29-17, 03:07 PM
drdreydel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think tirerack ships to Canada. It will cost a bit for the shipping but might still be cheaper than prices you're being quoted locally. Plenty of reasonably priced 17" options by their in house bran (Sport Edition).
Old 10-30-17, 09:28 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

+1 to pmctire.com (free two day shipping to ontario!)

I had a dealership match them, with aftermarket sensors (better to clone than to have lexus reprogram sensors every time i switch wheel sets). I usually buy from PMC but this was convenient as i bought at the same time as the car.
RWC Anthracite 17x8.5 ET35 wrapped in Pirelli Ice Zero FR 225/40r17 about $1800
Old 10-30-17, 09:38 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mastalex
Also looking for 225/45R17 wheels and winter tires for my IS350 F Sport. Any good deals out there right now?

Is the only side effect of not having the TPMS sensors that the TPMS light stays on all winter? Or will it negatively impact the traction control or AWD in any way? The TPMS light staying on all winter won't bother me, but only if it doesn't affect any of the other systems...
Hey,
I just traded in my 2016 is300 and have my rims and winter wheels (xice 3) for sale, I'm located in Mississauga. Only used for season and half, if anyone in the GTA wants them $500

Quick Reply: MERGED SNOW tire and rims discussion