IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MERGED SNOW tire and rims discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 03:49 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Having a new set of wheels for purpose of a square setup is best for tire longevity. i went to a 19inch wheel set up for summer and 17inch wheel set up for winter.
I went with a 225/45r17 winter tire, skinnier tires are arguably better for more weight/ surface area. taller sidewall for protection of the rim incase you hit a hidden pothole/ curb.
My winter tires are the Pirelli Ice Zero FR, they are surprisingly quieter than my Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 all seasons i run in the summer.
Old 01-02-18, 08:56 AM
Domdc1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all.

I have 18" on my 2016 and in speaking to my dealer, he suggested stick with Michelin Xice 3 - those are specific for the car. Blizzak & Pirelli are too soft & with the suspension of the car, you will get no more than 2 years.
Old 01-02-18, 09:07 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Domdc1
hi all.

I have 18" on my 2016 and in speaking to my dealer, he suggested stick with Michelin Xice 3 - those are specific for the car. Blizzak & Pirelli are too soft & with the suspension of the car, you will get no more than 2 years.
That's dumb. This will be my second year with my Pirelli's, and I'm sure it won't be my last. Snow tires are supposed to have soft rubber... Its how it grips/flexes in cold weather. If you're still on staggered fit, then I can see it destroying tires... Only because you can't rotate them.
Old 01-03-18, 04:38 AM
Domdc1
Driver School Candidate

Don't shoot the messenger.... just saying what the dealer said. I've had Pirellis on my BMW and i loved them, have blizzaks on my Acura, loved those too. So ive had the Michelin's a whopping 10 days and so far so good
Old 01-03-18, 06:16 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Domdc1
Don't shoot the messenger.... just saying what the dealer said. I've had Pirellis on my BMW and i loved them, have blizzaks on my Acura, loved those too. So ive had the Michelin's a whopping 10 days and so far so good
Haha, didn't mean to attack you in anyway. Sometimes I feel like dealership workers talk a lot of B.S.

Glad you enjoy your tires, I have no doubts those xice tires are good.
Old 01-03-18, 03:14 PM
GoodSmile
Driver School Candidate

I have toyo garit kx on 17'' squre set up. Running nicely in quebec harsh winter. Had it on for 2 winters and still have 7mm left.
Old 01-21-18, 08:34 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Underwhelmed by the highly praised Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2

Hi all,

I thought I'd give my opinion on the forums to help people who are shopping winter tires. This is not an objective review and I didn't compare any test results or anything... it's only my 0.02.
Winter tires are mandatory here and it's not a bad thing because I drive a RWD in some crazy snow conditions.
I drove 3 winters on Blizzak WS80's until they were bald.

This winter I researched and found some interesting comparisons. I decided to fork out the extra 120 CAD to get the Nokian R2's.
At first I thought it was a break-in thing so I gave them some time, but after 5K km on them, I'm disappointed.

Cold dry pavement
First, driving at 0C on dry pavement was dangerous : car was wobbly and I couldn't go over 100km/h (60mph) or it was unstable. I usually set cruise control at 115kmh (70mph), but it felt unsafe. It's not that I wanna drive so fast. It's just normal driving and keeping up with traffic on dry pavement. +7C is supposedly the limit where you switch to summer/all seasons. I didn't expect the tires to perform like winter performance tires (got those on my wife's car so I know how they handle), but the WS80's were clearly superior, and feeling unsafe as soon as you cross the 100kmh/60mph barrier is certainly not normal.
I know it has nothing to do with the car or mechanical issues because in colder conditions they handle well. It must be an extremely soft compound (maybe too soft?).

Deep snow and ice
I overlooked the dry pavement problem because I thought deep snow and ice must be where they perform best. I ended up disappointed again. I got rear wheel spin as soon as I touched the gas pedal on some light snow or ice... not even a snow storm.

Braking
Equal performance

The WS80's were not only better in every aspect but also cheaper! I'm considering selling the R2's next year and buying WS80's... I feel bad for the money I'll lose.
Old 01-21-18, 09:08 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Hi all,

I thought I'd give my opinion on the forums to help people who are shopping winter tires. This is not an objective review and I didn't compare any test results or anything... it's only my 0.02.
Winter tires are mandatory here and it's not a bad thing because I drive a RWD in some crazy snow conditions.
I drove 3 winters on Blizzak WS80's until they were bald.

This winter I researched and found some interesting comparisons. I decided to fork out the extra 120 CAD to get the Nokian R2's.
At first I thought it was a break-in thing so I gave them some time, but after 5K km on them, I'm disappointed.

Cold dry pavement
First, driving at 0C on dry pavement was dangerous : car was wobbly and I couldn't go over 100km/h (60mph) or it was unstable. I usually set cruise control at 115kmh (70mph), but it felt unsafe. It's not that I wanna drive so fast. It's just normal driving and keeping up with traffic on dry pavement. +7C is supposedly the limit where you switch to summer/all seasons. I didn't expect the tires to perform like winter performance tires (got those on my wife's car so I know how they handle), but the WS80's were clearly superior, and feeling unsafe as soon as you cross the 100kmh/60mph barrier is certainly not normal.
I know it has nothing to do with the car or mechanical issues because in colder conditions they handle well. It must be an extremely soft compound (maybe too soft?).

Deep snow and ice
I overlooked the dry pavement problem because I thought deep snow and ice must be where they perform best. I ended up disappointed again. I got rear wheel spin as soon as I touched the gas pedal on some light snow or ice... not even a snow storm.

Braking
Equal performance

The WS80's were not only better in every aspect but also cheaper! I'm considering selling the R2's next year and buying WS80's... I feel bad for the money I'll lose.
Hmmm, We're in Calgary. My son's winter car, BMW 328iX always had Nokian. I did not hear him complain about his winter tires. Rest of cars in the family have Michelin Xice 2 or 3.
My car has Pirelli Zotto zero. We always drive according to road condition. WS80 once thread starts wearing down performance noticeably decreases too. You may have wet snow.
Our snow is dry.
Old 01-22-18, 05:53 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

The R2 isn't a bad tire in any way. It's just that after reading expert reviews I had high expectations - or I should say I expected it to be at least better than the WS80.
Old 01-22-18, 07:20 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the R2 on my car, and don't feel any of this wobbly-ness at any speed. Feels very stable, however I will agree that the ws80 do seem to be better tires.

one more thing....is it just me or are they incredibly loud tires?

Last edited by Jay89; 01-22-18 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 01:20 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, you use cruise control in the winter time? You are playing with fire, my friend, regardless of the tire you have!
Old 01-22-18, 03:02 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Why wouldn't I? On dry, clean pavement when the shoulders are cleared of snow, there's 0 risk of slippery (unless you brake hard but that doesn't have anything to do with cruise control) or hydroplaning. Of course I don't use it as soon as there is some accumulation on the roads or precipitations, or a risk of black ice.
Old 07-26-18, 06:06 AM
VineeSon
Driver School Candidate

Default Winter Tires

What type of winter tires are you guys using?
Old 07-26-18, 06:35 AM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Michelin X-Ice over here.
Old 07-26-18, 07:48 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been running Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's, but might switch to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's when they wear out.

Quick Reply: MERGED SNOW tire and rims discussion