IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MERGED SNOW tire and rims discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19 | 03:16 PM
ISTreeFidi
Driver School Candidate

Blizzak is generally reviewed well, can't go wrong with it.

It depends on how snowy it gets, but I have had no problem running a high performance A/S tires year round. Michelin Pilot Sport, BF Goodrich G-Force, Continental DWS should do fine in most snow weather. My city does clear snow pretty quickly most days tho.

Just use caution and don't go all out and you should be fine. I even survived one winter season with the stock Turanza lol (Not recommended).
Old 10-15-19 | 01:40 AM
athanato
Intermediate

I've used Blizzak's on my old 2010 IS250 RWD with no trouble using snow mode, I will be using my old set on my 2018 IS300 AWD.
Use snow mode and drive the car like a corolla and you will be fine, snow mode will make it feel like one anyways
Old 10-15-19 | 04:53 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Went with a square setup for winter on my 2014, figured it would allow me to rotate the tires.
The simplest solution (for me) was to just go to tirerack.com and pick a set of wheels and tires (I’ve gone with 17” wheels and Michilin X-Ice). I’ve done this on 3 cars, the wheels and tires come premounted and balanced (and TPMS installed). Makes it easy to swap between summer and winter (other than the 3IS makes you reload the TPMS IDs on each swap, talk about a stupid design choice. The wife’s Mazda doesn’t use sensors in the wheels, but uses the ABS system to detect rotational differences between wheels. And my Jag simply relearns the IDs on its own after a few tire revolutions).
Old 10-15-19 | 07:44 AM
evident
Racer

depend how much snow u get. i have dunlop wintersport 4d's and they handle very well in dry. decent in snow
Old 10-15-19 | 02:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

I’ll chime in and say that the IS 300 RWD (200t) with Pilot Sport A/S 3+’s in snow is a little scary lol. You basically have to drive super slow if you don’t want to slip and slide everywhere. Also, I couldn’t make it up the hill to my house with traction control on, I had to turn it off and spin my wheels to get up. Definitely recommend going with winters. This is in South West Germany where it doesn’t even get that bad.
Old 10-15-19 | 08:42 PM
ISMinn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the suggestions. Luckily, Tire Rack is running a deal on Blizzaks for the square setup that I'm looking at using, so I guess that answers which tire I'm getting! Also, I'm using Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s atm and they are definitely not appropriate for winters in the Midwest. I've also put about only 10,000 miles on my Pilot Sports and they currently sound like a plane taking off...so they are definitely not a repeat purchase for me. That complaint's for another day, though! Can anyone share whether they think 17 x 8 is an okay square setup for the rest of the year, too? Or should I look at something like 19 x 8.5? I love the staggered look, but I don't love the cost of not being able to rotate
Old 10-16-19 | 04:08 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISMinn
Thanks for all the suggestions. Luckily, Tire Rack is running a deal on Blizzaks for the square setup that I'm looking at using, so I guess that answers which tire I'm getting! Also, I'm using Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s atm and they are definitely not appropriate for winters in the Midwest. I've also put about only 10,000 miles on my Pilot Sports and they currently sound like a plane taking off...so they are definitely not a repeat purchase for me. That complaint's for another day, though! Can anyone share whether they think 17 x 8 is an okay square setup for the rest of the year, too? Or should I look at something like 19 x 8.5? I love the staggered look, but I don't love the cost of not being able to rotate
For those of us running square 2IS rims, 17x8 is the size with 225/45/17...that will be fine for you as well.
Old 10-18-19 | 11:37 AM
ISTreeFidi
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=ISMinn;10636707]I've also put about only 10,000 miles on my Pilot Sports and they currently sound like a plane taking off...so they are definitely not a repeat purchase for me. /QUOTE]

Mine too, it got pretty loud and also the inside wears is really severe. Apparently Michelins doesn't play nicely with some IS and this is a bit of a known issue according to my dealer. I will be trying out BF Goodrich G force comp next, had a good experience with them on my previous car.

Nothing will make me go back Turanzas lol.
Old 10-18-19 | 12:13 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by ISTreeFidi
Mine too, it got pretty loud and also the inside wears is really severe. Apparently Michelins doesn't play nicely with some IS and this is a bit of a known issue according to my dealer. I will be trying out BF Goodrich G force comp next, had a good experience with them on my previous car.

Nothing will make me go back Turanzas lol.
BFGoodrich and Michelin are sister tire manufacturers, so take note. Mine have a bit of a hum at around 62 MPH or so. It's not that bad though, especially if you appreciate the amount of response/grip those BFGs have.
The following users liked this post:
ISTreeFidi (10-22-19)
Old 11-13-19 | 06:32 PM
ACV
Driver School Candidate

Default 225/40r18 on still rims square off/2019 Lexus IS 300AWD

Kinda new in this forum...I just had a square off on my winter tires 225/40r18...would this affect or had any issue since the original tires on the rear is 255/35r18...appreciate any thoughts about this one.
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-13-19 | 07:58 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdot85
Unfortunately I haven't switched over to my winter tires yet and I never got around in taking any pics last winter. But to get an idea of how much rim is exposed, I did a quick google image search and it looks like the below wheel on the left. I hope this helps.

damn, son.... What is the point of raping tires like that?
Old 11-14-19 | 06:45 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

I haven't seen any pics, but either way I'm going to have 215/45/18 winter tires on my F Sport rims.
A bit concerned about the stretch, but the higher sidewall should somewhat compensate for the narrower tire, so I believe the stretch will not be hugely different from 225/40. Will post pictures if they're mounted.
Old 11-14-19 | 06:55 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Raghza
I haven't seen any pics, but either way I'm going to have 215/45/18 winter tires on my F Sport rims.
A bit concerned about the stretch, but the higher sidewall should somewhat compensate for the narrower tire, so I believe the stretch will not be hugely different from 225/40. Will post pictures if they're mounted.
For the front 18x8 F Sport rim it's not an issue, but the rear 18x8.5 rim that comes with a 255/35/18, it's gonna be a stretch.
A 215/45/18 tire i recommended for a rim width of 7-8 inches, with 7 inches being the ideal fitment.
The rear F Sport rim is 8.5 inches...1.5 inches over the ideal fitment, and 0.5 inches over the recommended max.
Ultimately the decision is yours, but hoping the additional info my lead to a safer tire size choice for the rear at least.
Old 11-14-19 | 11:28 AM
ISTreeFidi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
For the front 18x8 F Sport rim it's not an issue, but the rear 18x8.5 rim that comes with a 255/35/18, it's gonna be a stretch.
A 215/45/18 tire i recommended for a rim width of 7-8 inches, with 7 inches being the ideal fitment.
The rear F Sport rim is 8.5 inches...1.5 inches over the ideal fitment, and 0.5 inches over the recommended max.
So does that mean, if I simply purchased two additional 18x8.5 rear rims and put them on the front to go square, they will rub the wheel well? Or poke out from the fender?
Old 11-14-19 | 11:34 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by ISTreeFidi
So does that mean, if I simply purchased two additional 18x8.5 rear rims and put them on the front to go square, they will rub the wheel well? Or poke out from the fender?
the original front wheels are 18x8, and the rear ones are 18x8.5... but it is the offset that might get ya. Try to remove the rear wheel and put it on the front to see if you have any issues. Might as well drive it a bit to see if rubs/scrubs/makes weird noises anywhere...
The following users liked this post:
ISTreeFidi (11-16-19)