IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F Sport AWD Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 07:02 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I'm talking about when you turn. RWD models put all power to the rear wheels. AWD is 30/70 normally, with the capability to go to 50/50 when necessary. When you're turning, and during acceleration the rear wheels slip, the car can split the power to the front wheels to reduce the amount of fishtailing that will occur. The traction control will also intervene if the traction loss is great enough. The RWD only has the traction control, which cuts power to the slipping rear wheel to regain traction. Basically, with all other factors being equal, an AWD model should be able to negotiate a turn a little more smoothly and maintain traction better than a RWD model.

This is how I understand it; if it's wrong, please correct me. I'd rather be wrong and learn than keep thinking it works that way, when in reality it doesn't.
I'm not going to say you're wrong because I'm no pro, but this is how I've always understood it coming from people who could be considered pros.

You have X amount of grip for any tire in any situation. When you have a tire that tries to do multiple things, then you sacrifice grip for each of them.

For example In a FWD car, you're forced to split that grip for turning + accel or turning + decel, or just one of those things at a time. So if you're trying to turn and accelerate, you're forced to use grip for the acceleration, which means that you are now NOT able to harness all that grip for turning. This is also why trying to brake while turning is never a good idea, because the grip you need to brake will prevent you from turning as well. To try and quantify it, I'll say normal grip = 100. If you have no power going to the front wheels, you are using all 100 grip to turn. If you're trying to accelerate through that turn, now maybe 80 of that grip is going to turning and 20 to acceleration, so you're not going to turn as well. This is just as true on dry roads as it is ice/snow, but obviously it's exaggerated in slippy conditions.

Now that all said, obviously rally cars and things like that are four wheel drive and they can utilize the front drive traction to help rotate and "pull" them through a turn, however, 99% of the population doesn't have that type of throttle/car control ability so it's wasted on them. Also, rally drivers are drifting sideways through their turns, which the general public will not be doing.
Old 09-27-13, 07:49 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get snow tires if you want more winter safety (in square setup)
snow tires are what give EXTRA traction
awd only uses EXISTING traction more efficiently, which there isn't much with all seasons
Old 09-27-13, 10:05 AM
Carcrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also live in MN and have a lot of first hand experience driving in winter conditions so I'll throw in my two cents. I'm a firm believer in winter tires, regardless of drive train. Dealing with icy roads is the most challenging situation and one that is all to frequent here in MN so that is where winter tires help the most.

Given the two scenarios you laid out, I would go with RWD and winter tires over AWD with all-season tires. Of course, the ultimate scenario would be AWD with winter tires.
Old 09-27-13, 03:36 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carcrazy
I also live in MN and have a lot of first hand experience driving in winter conditions so I'll throw in my two cents. I'm a firm believer in winter tires, regardless of drive train. Dealing with icy roads is the most challenging situation and one that is all to frequent here in MN so that is where winter tires help the most.

Given the two scenarios you laid out, I would go with RWD and winter tires over AWD with all-season tires. Of course, the ultimate scenario would be AWD with winter tires.
Thanks for that input. Do you have experience with RWD and Snow tires in MN winter? How did that go?
Old 09-27-13, 04:18 PM
Carcrazy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Thanks for that input. Do you have experience with RWD and Snow tires in MN winter? How did that go?
Yes, I had a LS sedan years ago and added winter tires after struggling with ice/snow. The winter tires made a world of difference. I also have several friends with RWD vehicles that use winter tires and they never complain. Traction control certainly helps to.

My wife drives a FWD Camry and I swap out the all-seasons for winter tires each season. Again, a big difference was noticed, particularly on ice. I drive an AWD RX with Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires and my wife's Camry, with the winter tires, handles better in all conditions except deep snow.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-13, 04:37 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carcrazy
Yes, I had a LS sedan years ago and added winter tires after struggling with ice/snow. The winter tires made a world of difference. I also have several friends with RWD vehicles that use winter tires and they never complain. Traction control certainly helps to.

My wife drives a FWD Camry and I swap out the all-seasons for winter tires each season. Again, a big difference was noticed, particularly on ice. I drive an AWD RX with Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires and my wife's Camry, with the winter tires, handles better in all conditions except deep snow.

Hope this helps.
Yes it helps a lot. At least it's making me feel little better about RWD w/ Snow tires in MN winters! Now if I can just find a decent 18" rims...
Old 09-28-13, 07:37 AM
MichaelB72
Driver School Candidate

You can do the best of both worlds, get the AWD model and swap out the stock tires for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season snow tires. I have a 2007 Subaru Legacy that came with the Bridgestone RE which were AWFUL in the snow. I swapped out to the DWS 3 seasons ago, I have 50k miles on them and they STILL have the snow rating on them. The have D-W-S in the treads and as the S wears away you lose SNOW, lose W, you loose WET and are left with DRY only. For my car they are only $128.00 each !!! I did check and they offer them in the sizes for the F-Sport.

I WELCOME driving in the snow with AWD and those tires. I remember the 1st winter I had them I was out with some buddies and the snow was coming down pretty good. Both commented how well the car was planted and didn't have any sliding going thru the twisty roads. I will not hesitate to get them again.
Old 09-28-13, 09:38 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MichaelB72
You can do the best of both worlds, get the AWD model and swap out the stock tires for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season snow tires. I have a 2007 Subaru Legacy that came with the Bridgestone RE which were AWFUL in the snow. I swapped out to the DWS 3 seasons ago, I have 50k miles on them and they STILL have the snow rating on them. The have D-W-S in the treads and as the S wears away you lose SNOW, lose W, you loose WET and are left with DRY only. For my car they are only $128.00 each !!! I did check and they offer them in the sizes for the F-Sport.

I WELCOME driving in the snow with AWD and those tires. I remember the 1st winter I had them I was out with some buddies and the snow was coming down pretty good. Both commented how well the car was planted and didn't have any sliding going thru the twisty roads. I will not hesitate to get them again.
I would get the AWD if I wouldn't loose out features like 8 speed transmission and VGRS or if RWD with Snow tires were not possible to drive in Snow. But based on feedback this should be about equal or better to FWD with All Season tires.