IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can anyone really make any sense of Lexus' web site?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 08:52 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone really make any sense of Lexus' web site?

I am frustrated. I decided to explore the GS350, to see what it would cost to have the minimal configuration that I really want, which mostly consists of leather and navigation. I tried to do this a couple of times before, with only minimal success after at least an hour. I had another similar experience. After about an hour, I still didn't feel confident that I had learned anything at all. I think, but am not at all certain, that without any packages it comes with leather but not the same semi-aniline leather that you get with one of the packages. I'm not even certain of that, but beyond that I wasn't able to figure out anything. And I don't understand why there is such a gross discrepancy between the packages that are described in a semi-useful way, including pricing, and what you see when you try to "build" the car. The real packages that you end up having to choose among are very, very different and a lot more costly than the "packages" that are described elsewhere on the site. Given this, the prices shown for the "packages" are almost completely meaningless. I find the whole experience simply bizarre, and annoying to the point of being insulting. It looks to me like something that would have been designed by a bunch of people tripping on LSD. In fact, I would not be at all surprised if in fact it was designed by a group of college kids who dropped acid while designing it. I am completely serious. It contrasts so starkly with Infiniti's site, which is intuitive, and with Infiniti's site I do not have any trouble at all figuring out what I am trying to figure out. I actually think that this might be a good reason to buy an Infiniti instead of a Lexus. Is anyone else having the same frustration with the Lexus site? Does it seem to anyone else that the design of it is oddly complicated and so difficult to figure out as to be nearly useless?
Old 10-07-13, 07:15 AM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm boycotting your threads, Keyser, until you learn to use the Return/Enter key on your keyboard. My eyes hurt trying to read your dense text.
Old 10-07-13, 07:27 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Building out a car on the website is pretty unintuitive. I had to go to the dealer to figure out what options I could actually get on an F Sport. BMW's site handles it really well - maybe Lexus should take a look at that.
Old 10-07-13, 08:57 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buying, or not buying a car, or any product based on the design of a website? Wow. That's a new one. Unless you are buying, well, a website designer!
Old 10-07-13, 09:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

The website is not great, but its okay.

You cannot really get a "base" GS, they exist but no dealer stocks them. Leather is standard on the GS, navigation is all but standard since the car any dealer stocks has the premium package. To get the semi-aniline leather you need to get the Luxury or F Sport packages.

To not buy the car because of the website though...thats just silly.
Old 10-07-13, 05:14 PM
stupenal
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BMW website is great - you can figure out which options are available stand alone, which packages require you to order what, and the tool visualizes everything that you choose. Additionally, they also have the leasing offers where you can manually calculate the residual (and if you get fancy, the money factor) for leasing so you know the base rate information.

Meanwhile, the lexus website....trying to figure out what I can possibly build was just a waste of time. Best bet is to get the paper color brochure from a dealer to play around with, and then find a dealer to special order if you can't find anything on the lot with your desired options/colors.