IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Custom Clear bra - full wrap vs. partial - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
Ok let me rephrase that. I dont have that seam on the side of my bumper but there are lines yes.
The reason you don't have a seam there is because several inches of your bumper inside that "foglight" area is unprotected. Its all a tradeoff, would you prefer the seam or the extra protection?
Old 10-10-13, 04:04 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The reason you don't have a seam there is because several inches of your bumper inside that "foglight" area is unprotected. Its all a tradeoff, would you prefer the seam or the extra protection?
I preferred to go the 650$ route instead of the full custom wrap route. But then again I dont plan on keeping this car any more than 2 years.
Old 10-10-13, 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
I preferred to go the 650$ route instead of the full custom wrap route. But then again I dont plan on keeping this car any more than 2 years.
I did the same thing for the same reason.
Old 10-10-13, 10:46 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is also a precut kit that he "customized." I don't think he enjoyed installing on the 3IS, luckily he accepted the challenge. I recall an older post of someone doing their front bumper and it had noticeably long lines. This place is just more expensive than others, but he took his time and spent two and a half days to do all the clear bra-ing. He also removed the badges so there wouldn't be lines around them which I like, otherwise people will look at the badge and see another square around it. He also replaced my badges for free, just took 1.5 months though and I think they're a bit slanted, but I'll have to check at the dealership.

I think the full wrap for the hood is worth it because I drive on 101 everyday and with the construction in MV/PA I'm always worried for my car. Before the clear bra I would take 280 to work, but that was an additional 20 minutes.
Old 10-12-13, 04:48 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
So I went back to Rob today for my badge, he said that he uses VentureShield. He mentioned that he'll get Scotch Guard in the future when they make large film rolls. From our talk he said he doesn't like Xpel, I don't want to get into it and start any what's better arguments but you can call him and ask for his reasons. One thing I will say is that VentureShield is also 'self-healing' but 3M doesn't promote it as hard as Xpel.

Here are some pics I took, I'm not the best at capturing good angels, but I can take better shots if you'd like.

This is the area where there are two pieces that meet, the F Sports bumper was too curvy for him to do it with one piece of film. The line is darker cause it's dusty from the nearby hills, but when it's clean you can barely see it.

Same with the rear bumper, not noticeable at all unless it was pointed out. And it's in a corner no passerby looks at.

Slightly off topic, but how level is everyone's F Sport badges? When he put them back, it's a bit slanted, not sure if that's normal. He did align the prongs correctly with the holes.
Ventureshield is not self healing. I installed it for 8 years and had to switch films when I relocated to Texas. It simply would not hold up to bugs... it would etch and scratch very easily. Plus Ventureshield is not a true top coated film. Only Suntek and Xpel Ultimate are self healing. And since Ventureshield does not have a top coat you will have to be VERY careful in what you use on it... it will yellow fairly easily if you use any petroleum based products on it