IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MOTHERLOAD list of PROS, CONS and discoveries

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 11:16 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
It doesn't sound like you put much thought or even really looked at the $50k car you were about to buy...
Thanks, but I did. You really think someone as crazy as I, who's pointed out all I have wouldn't have looked the car up and down? They're not necessarily complaints, but more of 'cons'; some of which I hope there're fixes / modifications for.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-10-13 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 11:36 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Why would someone buy an IS350 for fuel economy?
S-Class, 7 Series, Range Rover and LX are in the stable as well, IS is retiring the Range Rover, so in perspective, the purchase was made for fuel economy (and reliability).

Was weighing Cayenne and Touareg on one hand and C-Class, 3 Series, A4 and IS on the other.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-11-13 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 12:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

This is all a bit silly, sorry to say. There is some major O.C.D. going on here, and many are getting sucked into it. Sadly, some people will never be happy or satisfied no matter what (there is no perfect car). He didn't like the 3-series, which is a fine car by most standards. And now he is complaining about the award-winning 3IS. The same result would occur with any new car chosen. There's no fixing these situations.
Old 10-11-13, 12:49 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
48. And, last, but not least, any reason why my MPG’s haven’t been good? Hovering around 10, according to the computer, which is crazy, as I bought this car for fuel economy. Anything to do with a break in period? I'm sure it'll get better.
You bought a 3.5l V6 for fuel economy? Well played, mate...
Old 10-11-13, 02:38 AM
IS35OF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want your car to stay in accessory mode after turning it off, try pressing the starter button to turn it off while your transmission is still in drive or reverse - and then shift it to park.

Accessories stay on and then can be turned off with another press of starter button (providing you don't have your foot on the brake, or the car will start again)
Old 10-11-13, 05:31 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it's me but I take no offense to dbs600's post. No one can know everything about the car before you purchase even if you test drove it beforehand unless dealer let you take it for a day, probably not even than. 3IS F-Sport are so rare in my area dealers don't even have any to test drive. Only reason I was able to was because someone couldn't get financing on their ordered car and it was sitting there. Next day dealer told me it sold for MSRP.

Some of the things dbs600 listed to me are valid comments and others are his dissatisfaction which again are valid to him. You don't have to agree with them if it doesn't bother you. Even my 12 year old Acura TL-S lowered the stereo sound when navigation direction was being stated. His isn't and it may be just a setting or something. Acura TL-S also lets you close sunroof and raise windows even if you shut off the car as long as you didn't open the door. Also my guess is he bought IS350 thinking he would get ~24MPG not 10MPG. So I think that is valid complaint. I know I would be complaining if I got 10MPG. My 12 year old Acura TL-S was getting ~27MPG for my daily commute so I'm hoping I get at least ~24-25MPG with IS350.

Also people compare their new cars to their old cars because they want something better or equal to it. That is normal just as I did my comparison above.

Last edited by SonyHome; 10-11-13 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 07:27 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

THANKS FOR THE TIP, doctorttt! May still drill a hole to the cup holder...

Otherwise, the Rear-View Camera looks blurry to me.

And does anyone know the difference between the two Guidance Tone Types? I've tried both and they sound the same.

Thanks!
Np, why don't you buy me a drink since we both live in NYC, lol.
Old 10-11-13, 08:04 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Would never touch a Range Rover after talking to my Lexus salesman. He worked for Range Rover for 5 years he said 3 different test drives over that 5 year period the SUV broke down and had to be towed back to the dealer. Brand new vehicles.
Old 10-11-13, 09:31 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is all a bit silly, sorry to say. There is some major O.C.D. going on here, and many are getting sucked into it. Sadly, some people will never be happy or satisfied no matter what (there is no perfect car). He didn't like the 3-series, which is a fine car by most standards. And now he is complaining about the award-winning 3IS. The same result would occur with any new car chosen. There's no fixing these situations.
Thanks and agreed, but it's about the car as a whole; not sure why most here are overlooking the positive things noted? The car drives great, which makes me happy.

Originally Posted by IS35OF
If you want your car to stay in accessory mode after turning it off, try pressing the starter button to turn it off while your transmission is still in drive or reverse - and then shift it to park.
Interesting! Going to give it a try.

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Maybe it's me but I take no offense to dbs600's post. No one can know everything about the car before you purchase even if you test drove it beforehand unless dealer let you take it for a day, probably not even than. 3IS F-Sport are so rare in my area dealers don't even have any to test drive. Only reason I was able to was because someone couldn't get financing on their ordered car and it was sitting there. Next day dealer told me it sold for MSRP.

Some of the things dbs600 listed to me are valid comments and others are his dissatisfaction which again are valid to him. You don't have to agree with them if it doesn't bother you. Even my 12 year old Acura TL-S lowered the stereo sound when navigation direction was being stated. His isn't and it may be just a setting or something. Acura TL-S also lets you close sunroof and raise windows even if you shut off the car as long as you didn't open the door. Also my guess is he bought IS350 thinking he would get ~24MPG not 10MPG. So I think that is valid complaint. I know I would be complaining if I got 10MPG. My 12 year old Acura TL-S was getting ~27MPG for my daily commute so I'm hoping I get at least ~24-25MPG with IS350.

Also people compare their new cars to their old cars because they want something better or equal to it. That is normal just as I did my comparison above.
Thanks for the support, SonyHome, and Sony is a favorite company of mine too!

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Np, why don't you buy me a drink since we both live in NYC, lol.

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
Would never touch a Range Rover after talking to my Lexus salesman. He worked for Range Rover for 5 years he said 3 different test drives over that 5 year period the SUV broke down and had to be towed back to the dealer. Brand new vehicles.
Wow!
Old 10-11-13, 09:50 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

KeyserS, the following two threads of yours suggest you are as particular as I am:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-new-is.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rn-signal.html

One reply even states the dealer can adjust the blinker level, in response to which you are amazed, but I am here asking if same can be done for certain of my comments, and you suggest I am an 'idiot' for thinking same; strange.

And you yourself state this:

"At the other extreme of the gamut, there are people conduct themselves in an angry, aggressive, HOSTILE manner toward anyone who has the audacity to say ANYTHING even remotely negative about the car. Why do they behave this way?"

Is this rhetorical in nature?

Yes, my list vs. your one observation, but you seem intelligent enough.

Even if just one of my observations is met with insight, which contributing members of this forum have already done a few times over in this 6 page thread, it would be helpful to me.

Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-11-13 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 12:51 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

I'm lucky I don't buy this car.

@dbs600 - everything you said is all what I already saw on this car. 90% of your list is approved by me.

I don't know what car I'm going to buy this December.
Old 10-11-13, 02:35 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhs82
Well, isn't the benefit of a direct injection motor is improved fuel economy?

Can you explain why the 3.7 liter V6 G37 / Q50 motor gets better MPG and puts better numbers on the track than our IS350?

Also, on the Infiniti navigation, the MPG doesn't go down to 10 when in idle. It goes up and down when you drive on the street and hwy. But no drastic changes when idling. Lexus should fix this.

Maybe hire an Infiniti tech to code it.
Old 10-11-13, 02:39 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by damtachoa
I don't know what car I'm going to buy this December.
Thanks, damtachoa. I can say, however, is that after test driving the competition, the IS does drive the best; not sure what the forthcoming C-Class has in store, but it’s a good year plus away. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-11-13, 02:41 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
In comparison to a 5.0L V8, 4.7L V8, 4.6L V8 and a Twin-Turbo 4.4L V8, yes, I expect better fuel economy than 10 mpg's; I'm sure it will get better though; have to put it through a few tanks of premium.

Initially considered the 250, but the 350 experience is too difficult to pass up...

Last edited by dbs600; 10-11-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 02:52 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

My mileage has been so bad thus far that I'm thinking my dealer filled my delivery tank up on regular! Need to run through a couple of tanks to figure this one out... :|
I'm thinking that you are driving with the brake on.

Quick Reply: MOTHERLOAD list of PROS, CONS and discoveries