IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can anyone compare ML system in GS to ML system in IS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 07:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Can anyone compare ML system in GS to ML system in IS?

I own a GS F Sport and I personally prefer smaller cars, so I've been taking a serious look at the IS350 F Sport. Has anyone heard the Mark Levinson systems in both cars and, if so, is there a big difference? I'm very happy with the ML system in my GS but I'm concerned it might not sound as good in a smaller car. I know I can test drive the IS, but it is hard to really discern during a test drive.
Old 10-12-13, 07:58 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would also like to know this...
Old 10-12-13, 10:45 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I own a GS F Sport and I personally prefer smaller cars, so I've been taking a serious look at the IS350 F Sport. Has anyone heard the Mark Levinson systems in both cars and, if so, is there a big difference? I'm very happy with the ML system in my GS but I'm concerned it might not sound as good in a smaller car. I know I can test drive the IS, but it is hard to really discern during a test drive.
i havent heard ML in a GS but i think the standard audio in both are fairly similar. but i listened to ML in the IS just after getting out of my GS (went to the dealer specifically for this test) and the ML in the IS is well worth the money for me.
the standard auto will attenuate the Bass noticeably at high volume where as the ML has better bass and it sustains the level at higher volumes.
in sort you can really rock with the ML no factory system is going to play rap with 20-30 hz bass swells without distorting, but if you listen to ACTUAL music country, jazz, rock, hiphop or R&B without rap bass tones it sounds awesome.
with that said, a separate amp and sub will make either sound a lot better, but the ML will give you a better signal to work with since it doesn't attenuate the signal near as bad as the standard audio.
Old 10-13-13, 07:29 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Thanks. I never play hip-hop or need that type of bass so that's all I need to know. Really appreciate the input!
Old 10-14-13, 12:24 PM
LexFather

....the IS has a more boomy, intimate feel to me b/c its smaller but I seem to prefer the GS ML...Mind you I am no audiophile so take it for what its worth. I think they both are fine, much better than the stock systems.
Old 10-14-13, 01:51 PM
crzyis
Driver

As an audiophile who has spent thousand of $ on audio systems I have to be honest and tell you the System in the GS is pretty Awesome vs the one in the IS honestly if no one told me I had ML and didn't have the ML thing in the center console you wouldn't know the car had ML. Its really weak and not as clear as the GS. Same songs where I could go max volume and shake the car next to me with the Stock GS ML sounds distorted and horrible in the IS. I must say I miss my system from the GS. I wonder if I can transplant the amps and speakers form the GS.
Old 10-14-13, 05:26 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crzyis
As an audiophile who has spent thousand of $ on audio systems I have to be honest and tell you the System in the GS is pretty Awesome vs the one in the IS honestly if no one told me I had ML and didn't have the ML thing in the center console you wouldn't know the car had ML. Its really weak and not as clear as the GS. Same songs where I could go max volume and shake the car next to me with the Stock GS ML sounds distorted and horrible in the IS. I must say I miss my system from the GS. I wonder if I can transplant the amps and speakers form the GS.
So you are saying the ML in IS is lesser grade? Why would they have different grades of the ML? They both say "Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System" with 835 watts and GS has 2 more speakers (15 vs 17).
Old 10-14-13, 05:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
So you are saying the ML in IS is lesser grade? Why would they have different grades of the ML? They both say "Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System" with 835 watts and GS has 2 more speakers (15 vs 17).
Same ML but the sound quality and number of speakers and acoustics are different in Lexus models.
The LS is said to have the best ML sound.
Old 10-14-13, 05:39 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

to be honest i was very happy with the IS ML system.
if you didn't know my screen name is Bass Mechanic but when i signed up i had to abbreviate. if anyone knows a lot about bass in a car that used to be my life for about 10 years back in the day.
for a guy who used to run around with a pair of 15" subs in his hatchback, telling you the ML system is pretty damn good for stock, thats saying something!
Old 10-14-13, 08:22 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the replies. I remember going from an Infiniti M35 to an Infiniti G37 Coupe, and both had the Bose surround systems but the G didn't even hold a candle to the M when it came to sound quality. Sometimes the less expensive, smaller cars just don't have the same level of sound, which is why I asked the question. I know a bigger car gives you more of a soundstage for the music.

I'll just have to test drive the IS for myself.
Old 10-14-13, 08:24 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
....the IS has a more boomy, intimate feel to me b/c its smaller but I seem to prefer the GS ML...Mind you I am no audiophile so take it for what its worth. I think they both are fine, much better than the stock systems.
On another topic, Blueprint, since you own both cars (lucky dog) is there a noticeable difference between the driving experience with the IS F Sport vs. the GS F Sport. Is the handling and maneuverability better with the smaller car?
Old 10-15-13, 10:46 AM
crzyis
Driver

No Doubt its lesser grade. I don't think two speakers make that much of a diff but its just not as crisp and clear as the GS. Maybe something is wrong with my system I have no clue but I would strongly recommend going to the dealer and playing same car in both a GS and IS and seeing the Difference.

I plan to listen to a ML system at the dealer next time i'm there just to make sure mines ok.