91.20%
I sometimes use 89 or 87.
1.06%
I always use 89.
2.11%
I always use 87.
5.63%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 12:04 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Octane

Went to put gas in for the first time and mistakenly put 89 Octane in my 2016 IS3. What should I do? The label on the gas cap said 93. I didn't pay attention until the pump was almost finished. Every car that I have previously owned used regular.
Old 11-23-18, 04:30 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Nothing. Run through the tank until fully empty and restock the good juice.
The following users liked this post:
MsDesiJo (11-26-18)
Old 11-23-18, 02:22 PM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Nothing. Run through the tank until fully empty and restock the good juice.
Thank you!!
Old 11-23-18, 06:23 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

One time shouldnt be a problem. The dealer loaner and all car rentals almost always get filled with 89.
The following users liked this post:
MsDesiJo (11-26-18)
Old 11-23-18, 07:20 PM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

93? Not 91 high octane?
Old 11-24-18, 05:20 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by lychee416
93? Not 91 high octane?
91 or higher.
Old 11-24-18, 06:40 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

91 is recommended, but not required. The engine is fully capable of running safely on 87, even at full tilt, the ECU will just pull timing. In fact, if you're not driving the car hard you'd never know the difference.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of high octane gas, pull timing for quite a while, and possibly require a reset. Not sure if your engine is this way, but even if it were, it wouldn't be an issue with one tank of gas.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of regularly driving the car aggressively, pull timing just for better gas mileage, so if you drive like a grandpa you could run 87 octane forever and not even know the difference. Not sure if your ECU does this either. Maybe one of the tuners could chime in here.

It comes down to using the type of gas based on how you drive the car.
Old 11-24-18, 07:03 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
91 is recommended, but not required. The engine is fully capable of running safely on 87, even at full tilt, the ECU will just pull timing. In fact, if you're not driving the car hard you'd never know the difference.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of high octane gas, pull timing for quite a while, and possibly require a reset. Not sure if your engine is this way, but even if it were, it wouldn't be an issue with one tank of gas.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of regularly driving the car aggressively, pull timing just for better gas mileage, so if you drive like a grandpa you could run 87 octane forever and not even know the difference. Not sure if your ECU does this either. Maybe one of the tuners could chime in here.

Correct it is capable of running on 87, but why bother going against the manufacturer recommend octane (just to save a bucks and lose on performance?)...I don't get this logic.
Old 11-24-18, 07:14 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

This is the first luxury/V6 car I Have ever owned. I used to drive my 06 Camry really fast, but I have not really pushed this car yet. I just purchased this IS about 2 weeks ago so I am still learning what it can and can't do.
Old 11-24-18, 07:15 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Correct it is capable of running on 87, but why bother going against the manufacturer recommend octane (just to save a bucks and lose on performance?)...I don't get this logic.
Again, it depends on how you use the car. I'm certain there are a lot of IS owners out there that just wanted a sporty look to their luxury car, and never drive the car hard. The guys you see commenting on this forum are only a few percent of the IS drivers out there. As to why the manufacturer suggests 91 octane, that's simply a gas mileage thing. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, and consequently the more efficient the car runs, giving you the best gas mileage possible on a TERRIBLE gas mileage car...even when driven normally.
Old 11-24-18, 07:19 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

Wasn't trying to save money, just not used to thinking about what gas to put in my car. I have been driving an 06 Camry for the past 11 years and I used regular gas.

Just got the IS about 2 weeks ago, haven't even made the first payment yet.
Old 11-24-18, 07:22 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MsDesiJo
This is the first luxury/V6 car I Have ever owned. I used to drive my 06 Camry really fast, but I have not really pushed this car yet. I just purchased this IS about 2 weeks ago so I am still learning what it can and can't do.
That tank of gas isn't going to bother anything, no worries. But if you want the best performance out of the car, the highest normal octane (93/94) you can get is the best. DO NOT use octane booster.
Old 11-24-18, 07:26 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

That tank of gas isn't going to bother anything, no worries. But if you want the best performance out of the car, the highest normal octane (93/94) you can get is the best. DO NOT use octane booster.
Why no to the Octane booster? Just curious.
Old 11-24-18, 07:32 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MsDesiJo
Why no to the Octane booster? Just curious.
It's extremely inconsistent, and can have ill effects on the fuel system.
Old 11-24-18, 07:54 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

It's extremely inconsistent, and can have ill effects on the fuel system.
Good to know. Thanks!

Quick Reply: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)