91.20%
I sometimes use 89 or 87.
1.06%
I always use 89.
2.11%
I always use 87.
5.63%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 08:57 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I wouldn't mind putting 93 in there, but sadly it costs enough extra that I don't want to when 91 is technically recommended.
Where can you get 93 in KSMO? I know that Texas has 93 instead of 91, but never saw 93 in KSMO area..
Old 11-28-18, 09:00 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I only use 93 because the gas station I use doesn't have 91/92, and I have a thing about always using the same station (and usually the same pump). Hooray for OCD! lol I use it for my Exige anyway, as the tune is for 93.
Old 11-28-18, 09:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,825 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer

Where can you get 93 in KSMO? I know that Texas has 93 instead of 91, but never saw 93 in KSMO area..
There are a couple of BP stations that have it on the MO side. The one nearest me is over by the Chiefs stadium.
Old 11-29-18, 04:50 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well for us here in Canada (if all things well) then it would be nice if could use non premium fuel on the winter months at least since we don't need the extra hp and then put the premium when it gets warmer . Here I would think its about 10 - 15 bucks canadian per fill up so it makes a difference. If it does not damage engine AND you get same mpg I mean.
As with anything, manufacturers generalize everything because it takes alot of effort to put conditions on things since the majority of people do not care/follow.

something like: "You can run 87 but only on the Lexus IS350 awd with luxury package, but you must do this only in temperatures bellow 0 degrees celcious and you must be at least 500 meters max from sea level and not go more than 140 km/hr " yikes.
Old 11-29-18, 05:01 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
Well for us here in Canada (if all things well) then it would be nice if could use non premium fuel on the winter months at least since we don't need the extra hp and then put the premium when it gets warmer . Here I would think its about 10 - 15 bucks canadian per fill up so it makes a difference. If it does not damage engine AND you get same mpg I mean.
As with anything, manufacturers generalize everything because it takes alot of effort to put conditions on things since the majority of people do not care/follow.

something like: "You can run 87 but only on the Lexus IS350 awd with luxury package, but you must do this only in temperatures bellow 0 degrees celcious and you must be at least 500 meters max from sea level and not go more than 140 km/hr " yikes.
I honestly can't see a scenario where it would cause you damage, and my Lexus tech friend agrees. So why not try it and calculate your gas mileage? You might get the same or a little worse, but the difference in money will more than make up for it.
Old 11-29-18, 05:49 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

ya, will try on my next fill up
Old 11-29-18, 08:15 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Rather than continuing to discuss what theoretically could happen if you use 87 Octane, my recommendation is to collect some actual data using Techstream or datalogging apps like OBD Fusion with a Bluetooth OBD adapter to determine how the ECU is reacting to the lower octane fuel. The critical value to observe would be the Knock Correction Learning Value (KCLV) which is the ECU's long term ignition correction factor. A healthy car's KCLV should read over 20+ when you are coasting and when you're at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

Here's an example of a KCLV reading at WOT using one of my older datalogs:

I'd recommend getting a baseline KCLV by using premium-grade octane fuel (91-93) and recording the KCLV when at idle, coasting at a steady speed, and at WOT. KCLV should be at 20+ which means ignition timing advance is at its peak and no detention/pinging is occurring.

When switching to a lower-grade 87 octane, the probability of the knock sensors picking up knock will greatly increase and should that occur, the KCLV will reduce to values below 20 and in turn will retard the ignition timing to prevent further pre-detonation. If a driver were to go WOT in their 3IS with 87 octane, I would anticipate that the KCLV will drop accordingly in order to protect the engine. What I'm not certain is if using 87 octane and only driving in the lower RPMs would also reduce the KCLV (which is why datalogging this info would be greatly beneficial).

EDIT: Below is a good thread on how to set up OBD Fusion in order to read your KCLV:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-60-oh-my.html

Last edited by redspencer; 11-29-18 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BlazeL (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 08:24 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by redspencer
Rather than continuing to discuss what theoretically could happen if you use 87 Octane, my recommendation is to collect some actual data using Techstream or datalogging apps like OBD Fusion with a Bluetooth OBD adapter to determine how the ECU is reacting to the lower octane fuel. The critical value to observe would be the Knock Correction Learning Value (KCLV) which is the ECU's long term ignition correction factor. A healthy car's KCLV should read over 20+ when you are coasting and when you're at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

Here's an example of a KCLV reading at WOT using one of my older datalogs:

I'd recommend getting a baseline KCLV by using premium-grade octane fuel (91-93) and recording the KCLV when at idle, coasting at a steady speed, and at WOT. KCLV should be at 20+ which means ignition timing advance is at its peak and no detention/pinging is occurring.

When switching to a lower-grade 87 octane, the probability of the knock sensors picking up knock will greatly increase and should that occur, the KCLV will reduce to values below 20 and in turn will retard the ignition timing to prevent further pre-detonation. If a driver were to go WOT in their 3IS with 87 octane, I would anticipate that the KCLV will drop accordingly in order to protect the engine. What I'm not certain is if using 87 octane and only driving in the lower RPMs would also reduce the KCLV (which is why datalogging this info would be greatly beneficial).
I might actually do that. Although I am not interested in running 87, it would be interesting to see the difference. One tankful should not hurt anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by sunamer:
arentz07 (11-29-18), lexuscanuk (11-30-18), redspencer (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 11:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,825 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Cool, sunamer, now I don't feel any need to be the guinea pig in this experiment.

It makes me wonder, too, whether 93 versus 91 makes a difference.
Old 11-30-18, 03:09 AM
evident
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

I put 89 in my g35 a few times and it drives like Crap. Why bother
Old 12-02-18, 06:01 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Shout out to the 6.42 % of "regular gas" users. Don't say we didn't warn yall when that engine start knocking (Not the knocking that makes the room rocking) lol
Seriously though, quit putting regular is these luxury cars.
Old 12-02-18, 06:04 PM
berniebenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Henny Penny! The sky is falling!
Old 12-04-18, 12:59 PM
luiave
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'be had my IS300 for a little more than a year now and have only put Premium in it. I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off so not taking any chances cutting corners.
Old 12-04-18, 02:04 PM
sunamer
Advanced

So, here is a separate thread I created on that practical comparison between 87 and 91 fuels for IS350.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10375308
Old 12-06-18, 10:47 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

ok, my 2 canadian cents. I filled up with regular gas on Sunday Dec 2 from empty (gas light was lit up). Cost of regular at the time was like 98 center per liter (records low now a days). I did a quick calculation and if I was to buy premium at that time I would have spent 9 dollars more.

Let me say that I drive mostly highway for work and I typically fill up every 4-5 days. My style of driving is not aggressive at all but on occasions I step on the gas (rare).
I think i feel that there is a very slight power loss but not a lot. Could be on my mind but the car feels slight heavy. It does not feel sluggish tho or unrefined.
Fuel economy from computer I see that it is the same or even slightly less? but not much. I still have some gas left (I worked from home Monday and Today) so its looking pretty good.
Thats my experiment. It would be good to see/ask the 2nd gen people. Maybe some of them have a longer test on this or maybe even the ones that are running 87 for years can tell us if they run into any problems relating to putting regular vs premium.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (12-06-18)

Quick Reply: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)