IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 01:28 AM
evilspirit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started the car with the help of start-chargers.

I drove to the dealership, using a scanner to check the battery. Scanner issued that everything is OK, the battery is charged to 80%!!! :O The battery can not be charged from a generator car for half an hour up to 80%

My friend had the same problem, he started the car with wires from another vehicle, the problem does not recur.
Old 09-16-14, 06:24 AM
amorales
Driver School Candidate

anyone experience this on a 2015?

I get mines on monday but im going on a business trip, will not be back till saturday..... lets see if my 2015 has the same problem.
Old 09-16-14, 08:18 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by amorales
anyone experience this on a 2015?

I get mines on monday but im going on a business trip, will not be back till saturday..... lets see if my 2015 has the same problem.
I don't think you would see it that soon. Mine was 4 months and over 3,000 miles. I was just gone for 5 days and, with the new battery, the car started fine.
Old 09-16-14, 10:26 AM
Pralix
Rookie

Happened to me this morning. I drove the car over the weekend with no issues. Drove my FJ to work yesterday and today the Lexus wouldn't start. Nothing was left on. Dealer says everything is fine. I am at around 8.5K miles. Even my FJ Cruiser will disable lights if you leave them on. It is really puzzling as to what would be draining the battery.
Old 09-16-14, 11:36 AM
IS1911
Driver

This is just a guess but I wonder if somehow the fuel pressure test that the car performs (if memory serves I think this occurs after it's been off for 5 hours) is not fully completing and causing the battery to drain. It seems like the problem is completely random.
Old 09-16-14, 01:16 PM
Chria89a
Driver School Candidate

Well my 2014 is250 f sport took a **** today. :/ made it late to work thank you lexus! Had triple A show up and said my battery was real low. My 3is only has 6173 miles. Should I take it to lexus to have them see whats the deal or just replace the battery and call it a day?
Old 09-16-14, 01:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Chria89a
Well my 2014 is250 f sport took a **** today. :/ made it late to work thank you lexus! Had triple A show up and said my battery was real low. My 3is only has 6173 miles. Should I take it to lexus to have them see whats the deal or just replace the battery and call it a day?
You need to take it in. Let them make sure everything tests out okay, and more importantly, record that the problem occurred.
Old 09-16-14, 02:19 PM
Chria89a
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
You need to take it in. Let them make sure everything tests out okay, and more importantly, record that the problem occurred.
That's true I will be taking it in to lexus on fri hopefully it ant none big and I get a new battery (:
Old 09-16-14, 02:31 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I am a Lexus Master Technician, I posted earlier (a few months ago) saying that Lexus knew of the issue and that the problem was under investigation. Some engineers think that they have identified the problem being the Gateway ECU. My dealer is installing 2 new gateway ECUs on 2 customer vehicles hopefully this week to see if the problem will be better.

Hopefully this will fix the issue and a TSB will be released to all technicians as to how to properly fix the issue.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 09-16-14, 08:38 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to add my 2 cents:

I have a canadian 2014 IS350 FSport. I rarely drive my car, it would sometimes be in my garage for 2 weeks without being moved. In addition, I also tapped a dashcam install into the fuse (with a power stoppage device should the battery become low).

So far touch wood, I have not experienced any issues related to my battery.
Old 09-17-14, 06:53 AM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NotADood
I am a Lexus Master Technician, I posted earlier (a few months ago) saying that Lexus knew of the issue and that the problem was under investigation. Some engineers think that they have identified the problem being the Gateway ECU. My dealer is installing 2 new gateway ECUs on 2 customer vehicles hopefully this week to see if the problem will be better.

Hopefully this will fix the issue and a TSB will be released to all technicians as to how to properly fix the issue.

I will keep you guys updated.
I'm also a Master Tech at a Lexus dealer in the Toronto area up in Canada.
I've been testing my car EVERY SINGLE DAY with a DVOM hooked up watching for a draw.
(testing 0.010-0.025mA after 30 min)
Every since this dreaded 'issue' happened to me, I initiated a file with TAS up here with Lexus Canada, and have been relaying all my findings to our Techline.
Techline has ackowledged there's been a 'significant amount' of this particular compaint, and are looking into it.
But the only problem is, our CanadianTechline is seperate than the US Techline. And some information isn't relayed across the border.(it does eventually, but slowly)
At this time, our Tech department has no known repair. So much so, that after more than a month of me not finding, or catching, this elusive draw,(after 30 minutes the parasitic draw always dropped to 0.010mA-0.025mA) Techline said to install a new battery even though mine tested good.
Their stance at this time, a bad batch of batteries.
So basically, our Techline up here in Canada knows of the problem, they're working on it, but won't admit any fault. (other than batteries)

So this information is fantastic!
Do they think it's keeping the CAN system alive?
I know it's not an interior light being left on, I tried this myself. The car starts fine after a 24 hour 'interior light on' test.

Any further info is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-14, 08:44 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank you to the Master Technicians who are contributing. To me, it seems this issue happens to enough people that I am skeptical of the battery explanation. Also, I would encourage anyone who experiences this issue to get the car to the dealer and at least get the issue documented. My hope is that more documented cases will increase the urgency in finding a solution.
Old 09-17-14, 03:25 PM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by link13
Thank you to the Master Technicians who are contributing. To me, it seems this issue happens to enough people that I am skeptical of the battery explanation. Also, I would encourage anyone who experiences this issue to get the car to the dealer and at least get the issue documented. My hope is that more documented cases will increase the urgency in finding a solution.
Thanks for the kind words Link13.
And thanks to my fellow Tech NotA Dood.

Believe me when I say, your guys feedback about this stuff is taken seriously.
This forum is moderated in such a professional and freindly manner, it makes it very easy for me to take this to my Tech Department/Engineers and say "Here, look at what's happening"

All of your comments and feedback help me a great deal when diagnosing problems.
Techs need info, lots and lots of info when it comes to diagnosis. It makes our job much easier.
Even in a case such as this, when it's very elusive, and almost impossible to find, we can still take all of your info and relay it back to our Tech Dept. This helps verify the contention, and escalates the urgency in addressing the situation.

So thanks to everyone, for a great forum, and all of your insights and info.

...and sorry for being so polite. Guess you can tell I'm Canadian.
Old 09-21-14, 10:24 AM
gwud2go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my '14 IS250 F-sport for about 9 months - the battery just died on me twice in the last month.
I brought the car in a week ago to check on the first incident and they ran battery tests and said it was fine.
Last night it wouldn't start again.
Old 09-22-14, 03:51 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flytldr
I'm also a Master Tech at a Lexus dealer in the Toronto area up in Canada.
I've been testing my car EVERY SINGLE DAY with a DVOM hooked up watching for a draw.
(testing 0.010-0.025mA after 30 min)
Every since this dreaded 'issue' happened to me, I initiated a file with TAS up here with Lexus Canada, and have been relaying all my findings to our Techline.
Techline has ackowledged there's been a 'significant amount' of this particular compaint, and are looking into it.
But the only problem is, our CanadianTechline is seperate than the US Techline. And some information isn't relayed across the border.(it does eventually, but slowly)
At this time, our Tech department has no known repair. So much so, that after more than a month of me not finding, or catching, this elusive draw,(after 30 minutes the parasitic draw always dropped to 0.010mA-0.025mA) Techline said to install a new battery even though mine tested good.
Their stance at this time, a bad batch of batteries.
So basically, our Techline up here in Canada knows of the problem, they're working on it, but won't admit any fault. (other than batteries)

So this information is fantastic!
Do they think it's keeping the CAN system alive?
I know it's not an interior light being left on, I tried this myself. The car starts fine after a 24 hour 'interior light on' test.

Any further info is greatly appreciated.
Being the gateway ECU, that's what I would assume. From my personal experience, the parasitic draw jumps up and down too much for a reliable answer compared to other vehicles. Most vehicles would come down to around 25mA and stay there with maybe a small spike or two every few minutes. These IS250s on the other hand, the milliamps dance around so much, the I can't keep track of what they are actually drawing. It will be 4mA one second and 120mA the next. Finally, I had to make my ammeter average all readings, and let it sit overnight. When I come in the next morning, it will usually be around 30mA which is perfectly normal.

Some field engineers have been out to our dealer, and have hooked up devices to customer vehicles that record basically everything, have them drive around for a few weeks, and they have sent the data back to Lexus. The gateway ECU is what they are leaning against right now, but I don't have any confirmation as of right now that it is absolutely the problem. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)