IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 12:26 AM
cmc22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get the dealership to look at this thread and they would not have any of it. They told me there is nothing wrong with the car and that there was nothing wrong with it. I am starting to think it has something to do with the navigation system because I continue to have problems with my navigation unit.
Old 11-04-14, 04:37 AM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Parked for two days, dead again this morning, this is a replacement battery

Originally Posted by v33k
I am in Toronto area, my dealer replaced my battery without too much of a fight.
Old 11-04-14, 03:34 PM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by v33k
Parked for two days, dead again this morning, this is a replacement battery
Not surprised that it also happened to the replacement battery because the issue isn't related to the battery.

I am sure you can replace all the battery you want but it will not solve the problem.

It will just be a waste of time at the dealer to change the battery.
Old 11-05-14, 01:51 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been 5 weeks, still awaiting a call for the new revised ECU replacement! FYI, Lexus said it was an ECU problem draining the battery. They said they are making a revised ECU and shipping one out. At least that's what my dealer told me.

Last edited by sapd911; 11-05-14 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 02:34 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
been 5 weeks, still awaiting a call for the new revised ECU replacement! FYI, Lexus said it was an ECU problem draining the battery. They said they are making a revised ECU and shipping one out. At least that's what my dealer told me.
When I had my 5K mile / 6 month service done, the dealer told me they have only seen very few cases of battery failure. There was no acknowledgement that this is a continuing problem.
Old 11-06-14, 09:02 AM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StraySheep
Not surprised that it also happened to the replacement battery because the issue isn't related to the battery.

I am sure you can replace all the battery you want but it will not solve the problem.

It will just be a waste of time at the dealer to change the battery.
Agree!

If it is REALLY a faulty battery, the recall would have been rolled out a LONG time ago.
Let's not be naive and blame on the battery anymore.
Old 11-12-14, 06:30 PM
Tai3IS
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ahhh.....3rd time

Ugh, well back in August I had to get a jump from my neighbor because the car would crank over. All you could hear was the starter clicking. About a month after that it happened again. Both times the car was not left for a long period of time. Drove home, parked car then next day...dead.

So after the second time, I got fed up and just went and bought an Optima Red Top. Everything was fine up until last week. I went out of town for business. The car sat in the airport garage from Tuesday 7pm to Friday 6am. When I got to the car it was completely dead. Had to pull out the physical key and open the door manually. I ended up getting a jump from the garage attendant. Did a quick test. Jumped the car, then immediately shut it off and disconnected the jump cables. All lights were still on and car seemed normal. Pressed start button and the car started right up like nothing was wrong. So this is definitely not a battery issue. Something else is going on.

Needless to say, I just dropped the car off at the dealership to have them check it out. I told my service writer everything that happened. Got a call at the end of the day letting me know that they tested the battery and it was in perfect working order. They are keeping the car overnight so that they can test again tomorrow and see if there is any draw on the battery. I've got my fingers crossed right now that there will be some sort of draw shown. That way they can atleast look into it further and hopefully figure this whole thing out.

Oh yeah, the car was purchased Memorial Day weekend 2014 and only has 6700 miles on it.
Old 11-14-14, 04:53 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Tai3IS
Ugh, well back in August I had to get a jump from my neighbor because the car would crank over. All you could hear was the starter clicking. About a month after that it happened again. Both times the car was not left for a long period of time. Drove home, parked car then next day...dead.

So after the second time, I got fed up and just went and bought an Optima Red Top. Everything was fine up until last week. I went out of town for business. The car sat in the airport garage from Tuesday 7pm to Friday 6am. When I got to the car it was completely dead. Had to pull out the physical key and open the door manually. I ended up getting a jump from the garage attendant. Did a quick test. Jumped the car, then immediately shut it off and disconnected the jump cables. All lights were still on and car seemed normal. Pressed start button and the car started right up like nothing was wrong. So this is definitely not a battery issue. Something else is going on.

Needless to say, I just dropped the car off at the dealership to have them check it out. I told my service writer everything that happened. Got a call at the end of the day letting me know that they tested the battery and it was in perfect working order. They are keeping the car overnight so that they can test again tomorrow and see if there is any draw on the battery. I've got my fingers crossed right now that there will be some sort of draw shown. That way they can atleast look into it further and hopefully figure this whole thing out.

Oh yeah, the car was purchased Memorial Day weekend 2014 and only has 6700 miles on it.

This is unfortunate. Since my battery was replaced a couple months ago, no issues yet but now I am no so optimistic.
Old 11-14-14, 09:08 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
This is unfortunate. Since my battery was replaced a couple months ago, no issues yet but now I am no so optimistic.
I figure it's just a matter of time before it happens to me again. Lexus needs to get to the bottom of this. It's not just a group of defective batteries.
Old 11-14-14, 05:50 PM
ojn949
Driver School Candidate

so this issue is only for the 2014's? any issues with the 2015's yet?
Old 11-14-14, 09:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

3rd time...

I think if you give them the receipt for your Optima Red Top... They just might reimburse you too...

Your car is still new...

Joe Z
Old 11-15-14, 07:53 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ojn949
so this issue is only for the 2014's? any issues with the 2015's yet?
None with the 15s reported in here yet.
Old 11-15-14, 01:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

They are keeping the car overnight so that they can test again tomorrow and see if there is any draw on the battery. I've got my fingers crossed right now that there will be some sort of draw shown. That way they can atleast look into it further and hopefully figure this whole thing out.

Any status on this?
Old 11-18-14, 12:57 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer called and said my gateway ECU replacement will be here in a few days. Lexus said that is what is causing the battery to drain. Will get it replaced in a few weeks and will test to see if it is the fix! fingers crossed. Its not the battery folks, its a software/hardware issue in the ECU according to Lexus.

I have a 13 ES350, have had problems from the start of buying this car with the battery dying! Lexus did install a battery tender for a temp. fix.
Old 11-18-14, 01:08 PM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by link13
None with the 15s reported in here yet.
2015 IS250 here and my battery is working fine, after coming back from a one week vacation.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)