IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 03:06 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
Dealer called and said my gateway ECU replacement will be here in a few days. Lexus said that is what is causing the battery to drain. Will get it replaced in a few weeks and will test to see if it is the fix! fingers crossed. Its not the battery folks, its a software/hardware issue in the ECU according to Lexus.

I have a 13 ES350, have had problems from the start of buying this car with the battery dying! Lexus did install a battery tender for a temp. fix.
I have a 2015. Hopefully this issue is fixed... I have had several instances where siriusXM would cut out for about a second, but that could be anything right? Less than 150 miles so far...
Old 11-21-14, 02:59 PM
mechfreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batter Drain on my 2014 IS 350 F SPORT

I purchased my brand new 2014 IS 350 F Sport back in November 2013.I have experienced this battery drain 4 times ever since
Every time this has happened i have used the car the previous night and left it in my car port only to come back the following morning and realize my car wouldn't start.
I have had the same issues as others members have expressed with the rapid clicking noise and after the jump start the car works fine for a few months only to realize it happens again.
The third time this happened i had Lexus replace my old battery with a brand new interstate battery which obviously didn't resolve the issue
I have had the car for a little over a year now with 11500 miles on it and the car is currently at the dealership and they are inspecting it
The Service manager called me this afternoon advising that Lexus feels its an issue with the ECU and that replacing it would fix it.He said he will get the ECU on monday
Would be interesting to know if this resolves the issue i shall keep you all posted
Old 11-21-14, 03:35 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mechfreak
I purchased my brand new 2014 IS 350 F Sport back in November 2013.I have experienced this battery drain 4 times ever since
Every time this has happened i have used the car the previous night and left it in my car port only to come back the following morning and realize my car wouldn't start.
I have had the same issues as others members have expressed with the rapid clicking noise and after the jump start the car works fine for a few months only to realize it happens again.
The third time this happened i had Lexus replace my old battery with a brand new interstate battery which obviously didn't resolve the issue
I have had the car for a little over a year now with 11500 miles on it and the car is currently at the dealership and they are inspecting it
The Service manager called me this afternoon advising that Lexus feels its an issue with the ECU and that replacing it would fix it.He said he will get the ECU on monday
Would be interesting to know if this resolves the issue i shall keep you all posted
good to hear Lexus finally can find the culprit for this issue rather than keep blaming on the battery.
Old 11-22-14, 03:47 AM
mechfreak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
good to hear Lexus finally can find the culprit for this issue rather than keep blaming on the battery.
The first three times i faced this issue and i ensured the car got inspected at the dealership but they would also get back with a standard reply stating everything is working fine.As mentioned by another member earlier they told me that the car could be intercepting some signals from the security alarm system or any router because of which the computers in the vehicle are not going to sleep.

Hopefully replacing the ECU as pointed out by a few members is the one causing this drain which fixes it
Old 11-22-14, 08:46 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The first three times i faced this issue and i ensured the car got inspected at the dealership but they would also get back with a standard reply stating everything is working fine.As mentioned by another member earlier they told me that the car could be intercepting some signals from the security alarm system or any router because of which the computers in the vehicle are not going to sleep.

Hopefully replacing the ECU as pointed out by a few members is the one causing this drain which fixes it
I hope so too. I am encouraged that they believe they've found a solution. I am also very happy with every second I've spent in the car, so I am willing to give Lexus some time to sort things out.
Old 11-24-14, 01:52 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New ECU install is this Wednesday, will test it without the tender hooked up and let it sit for 7 straight days. Will report back if that is the fix.
Old 11-24-14, 06:23 PM
Loe
Pole Position

I left mine sitting for 4 days and hooked up my battery charger because I was curious what it drained to. 75% (it started at 94% before I left it parked). I'm close to 2000 miles, this is unacceptable. Needless to say, ill bring this up at my 5000 mile service, or sooner if it drains lower and a tow truck is needed.
Old 11-25-14, 01:26 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't driven the IS in 4 days and the battery is showing 12.4 volts.
Old 11-25-14, 08:03 PM
mechfreak
Driver School Candidate

I got the gateway ECU replaced on my vehicle this morning.
I hope the issue with the battery getting drained overnight never resurfaces again.
Will keep you all posted
Old 11-25-14, 08:37 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dagobert
Haven't driven the IS in 4 days and the battery is showing 12.4 volts.
For the uninformed, can you explain to us what this means?
Old 11-25-14, 09:35 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
For the uninformed, can you explain to us what this means?
If the battery shows 12.4V for the 3IS, it means it is normal and you won't have a problem in starting the car.
Old 11-26-14, 02:36 AM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my car at the end of May 2014- have about 8500km on it and have left it parked for the past 2.5 weeks in my garage. Will report back if I have any issues when I'm back on the 30th
Old 11-26-14, 06:12 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the gateway ECU replaced on my vehicle this morning.
I hope the issue with the battery getting drained overnight never resurfaces again.
Will keep you all posted
I had my Gateway ECU replaced today on my 13 ES350. Will report back in a few weeks.
Old 12-01-14, 08:49 AM
rgspb
Driver School Candidate

Default '14 IS350 battery replaced twice

Just finding this thread so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem. My car died, sitting in the garage at 1900 miles. Lexus roadside assistance came out and replaced the battery. I'm of the opinion that a dead battery that is six months old needs to be replaced, not jumped. The guy that came out said we would be good friends as long as I own this car, he keeps spares in his vehicle for these cars. The new battery died at 2900 miles, again they came out and replaced it. Both times he said it was probably a bad cell. I'm taking it in this week to get checked out. I knkw I don't put a lot of miles on the car, 2900 in the first year, but my '11 IS250 got the same treatment and never had a problem. He did suggest always locking the doors, even in the garage, as this would alert me if there are any doors or anything open. Very strange!
Old 12-01-14, 01:03 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It happened to me about a month ago for the 1st time after 18 months of ownership. The AAA guy (Lexus roadside assistance) did a diagnostic on the battery and said it was perfect. I got it charged and have been driving as usual since. I'm wondering if I left a streaming app like Spotify running which the car picked up on -- my house isn't big and sometimes Spotify keeps playing.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)