IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 12:44 PM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my car die again on Friday evening. Towed it there Saturday morning. It is now Tuesday 4PM and they haven't been able to tell me what is wrong. They didn't call me Monday and I had to call them on Tuesday. They wouldn't give me a loaner Saturday because "they cannot authorize rentals when my car is not being worked on".

The service advisor also said "it may not be covered" as my car was purchased used. I've bought ex-rental vehicles that have full factory warranty after. I am going to let them get to the bottom of this and write to corporate as they made me feel like I was a 2nd class citizen for buying a $40k car USED. If its got factory warranty, I should have warranty (as long as its all stock which it is).

Been without my car for almost 3 days. I can't say I've had a good experience at all with my first and probably last Lexus.

Last edited by A2BLexus; 04-28-15 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 11:44 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A2BLexus
Just had my car die again on Friday evening. Towed it there Saturday morning. It is now Tuesday 4PM and they haven't been able to tell me what is wrong. They didn't call me Monday and I had to call them on Tuesday. They wouldn't give me a loaner Saturday because "they cannot authorize rentals when my car is not being worked on".

The service advisor also said "it may not be covered" as my car was purchased used. I've bought ex-rental vehicles that have full factory warranty after. I am going to let them get to the bottom of this and write to corporate as they made me feel like I was a 2nd class citizen for buying a $40k car USED. If its got factory warranty, I should have warranty (as long as its all stock which it is).

Been without my car for almost 3 days. I can't say I've had a good experience at all with my first and probably last Lexus.
Is the dealership at the northern edge of Toronto bordering with Markham, North York and Scarborough or one of the other dealers associated with that same ownership group?
Old 04-29-15, 02:52 PM
iddi0tt
Rookie

just had it happen to me. I used a booster pack to start the car but should I have called the dealership first?
Old 04-29-15, 08:33 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes me want to just go to costco and buy a new battery to test it out
Old 04-30-15, 06:30 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Is the dealership at the northern edge of Toronto bordering with Markham, North York and Scarborough or one of the other dealers associated with that same ownership group?
You mean Don Valley Lexus? LOL Yes. It was them. I will be writing to Lexus head office to let them know my experience. How did you know? You've dealt with them as well?

I got my car back. What is strange is "we don't want to make you wait for your invoice" so the service advisor said she will email me. That was 6PM last night when I picked up the car. Still no invoice. Seems like something shaddy is going on.
Old 04-30-15, 06:46 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by A2BLexus
You mean Don Valley Lexus? LOL Yes. It was them. I will be writing to Lexus head office to let them know my experience. How did you know? You've dealt with them as well?

I got my car back. What is strange is "we don't want to make you wait for your invoice" so the service advisor said she will email me. That was 6PM last night when I picked up the car. Still no invoice. Seems like something shaddy is going on.
Oh yes, just reading your post and I already knew who you were talking about. Funny how that goes and how you know that whatever their "general manager" tells you, it is never an isolated thing. There is an inherent built in arrogance in their entire complement of staff, and it starts from their upper management.

Go to the one down the road on Leslie. They have a history with a fix for the battery drain issue, they replace a control module that seems to take care of things. It is buried somewhere in this thread or another one discussing this issue.
Old 04-30-15, 07:18 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

I think you had the same issue as well? The thing is I am at the East end of Markham so Lexus on The Park is kinda out of the way.....I would expect that all Lexuses are the same but appearently not. They've changed the battery and my car is warranted until Sept 2017 so the next time this happens, I know where to take it.

With that dealership, I think it is because they are in an area where there is alot of volume so customer service is kinda out the window. As I am typing this, I remember the first person I spoke with at Lexus was " Did you make an appointment?" after their colleague told them "there is a new tow in". DOH. Ya, I made an appointment for my car not to start. Genius.
Old 04-30-15, 08:36 AM
FPerform
Driver

Sorry I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread, but is this an F Sport issue? I feel like the LCD display and mechanic components of the tach kill the battery.

As I said in the prices paid thread, I went to check out a brand new F Sport and the battery was dead, the salesmen claimed it was due to people leaving on the lights which is complete BS.
Old 04-30-15, 09:47 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Mine is a F Sport but I've read through the thread and I don't think this is F Sport specific.
Old 04-30-15, 10:38 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nonopeno
Makes me want to just go to costco and buy a new battery to test it out
Please do. I upgraded to aftermarket battery over a year and no issues. Why can't lexus owners do the same. People on this forum are very stubborn and just continue to whin about an issue that's been know since the 3rd generation IS rolled out. If you are waiting on lexus to admit they have a defective battery good luck. There's nothing wrong the ECU as some have suggested. Toyota knows their ECU and engineering better than anyone here or aftermarket tuners. Just pay for the darn aftermarket battery And save yourself the headache.
Old 05-01-15, 07:04 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by mosefus
Please do. I upgraded to aftermarket battery over a year and no issues. Why can't lexus owners do the same. People on this forum are very stubborn and just continue to whin about an issue that's been know since the 3rd generation IS rolled out. If you are waiting on lexus to admit they have a defective battery good luck. There's nothing wrong the ECU as some have suggested. Toyota knows their ECU and engineering better than anyone here or aftermarket tuners. Just pay for the darn aftermarket battery And save yourself the headache.
I've had my car for 2 months and it has factory warranty. If there is an issue with the car, I am going to bring it back to the dealership. If I had installed an aftermarket battery, knowing the dealership I go to, they would deny any further electrical work on the car because its not an OEM part. While I agree with you that it is a hassle, I rather be safe than sorry and let them troubleshoot the car while under warranty.
Old 06-02-15, 07:21 AM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

2014 IS350 RWD Fsport
12 months old
16000km

I am on my 3rd battery, 2nd time replacing it in the past 10 months. Car is parked and unplugged for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)-20150602_094335.jpg  
Old 06-02-15, 07:58 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by v33k
2014 IS350 RWD Fsport
12 months old
16000km

I am on my 3rd battery, 2nd time replacing it in the past 10 months. Car is parked and unplugged for the winter.
Perhaps a trickle charger to keep battery charged when you store the car for long periods of time. Nothing kill a battery worse than being discharged at the same time as going through temperature extremes (hot or cold). Trickle chargers are cheap (less than $50 for the good ones).
Old 06-02-15, 08:00 AM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Perhaps a trickle charger to keep battery charged when you store the car for long periods of time. Nothing kill a battery worse than being discharged at the same time as going through temperature extremes (hot or cold). Trickle chargers are cheap (less than $50 for the good ones).
Thanks for the advice, I switch cars between seasons. I do have a trickle charger. And nothing happen to my winter car's battery with the same setup.
Old 06-02-15, 08:04 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by v33k
Thanks for the advice, I switch cars between seasons. I do have a trickle charger. And nothing happen to my winter car's battery with the same setup.
yeah, that won't help the inherent battery drain issue, but helps with preserving the battery so it doesn't die out due freezing cold while discharged.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)