Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone still having this issue?
Was there a fix I missed?
Old 09-29-15, 05:56 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UGH! Well this has happened to me now 3 times! 2014 IS350 F-Sport. The first time I jumped it and after driving around it was fine, I thought I left something on. So I didnt bother to take it in.

Then about a month later same thing... I jumped it and brought it in to the dealership, they told me bad battery and replaced it. The next time exactly 7 days later, I drove my car Saturday and Monday morning I was getting ready to go to work and of course it was dead. Completely no life whatsoever, like every time. This time I took I demanded they figure something out besides a battery. I have a loaner right now and they took it overnight and are doing a bunch of load testing.

I just found this thread today... is there anything I can say to reference this issue? Is there a TSB?

Thanks!!

Jeff
Old 09-29-15, 03:30 PM
MoabFJ
Driver School Candidate

So far so good with the new Interstate AGM.
I have my fingers crossed there is a flaw in the stock batteries.
Old 09-30-15, 01:54 PM
Jk1686
Driver School Candidate

As far as i know there is no TSB out for this and it seems like lexus is just trying to let the problem phase out as it appears to only be with the 2014 IS f sport (which was also my model). I actually had my car bought back by lexus after the 4th time. I would definitely log all occurrences with lexus customer service and make sure you keep all paperwork from the services because they will ask for that if you decide to go the lemon route.
Old 11-16-15, 05:33 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 256 Posts
Default dead battery again???

Was only sitting there Saturday and sunday now this morning?? dead and it's already a new one from service about a year ago they came a changed it.
Twice in 2 years common?? These cheap panasonics.....
Old 11-18-15, 01:37 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another update:

Still no battery drain issues with my IS350. Just rolled over 8700 miles. Frequently sits in the garage for 3-10 days without running, will charge cell phone/tablet/gopro for 20-30 minutes at a time in accessory mode, and driven hard on the track every other month. No issues what-so-ever.

I'm actually surprised mine has remained problem-free based on reading some of the stories here though.
Old 11-20-15, 01:28 PM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Figured I would chime in on this issue. Usually I don't but seems like this 2+ year issue is partially resolved yet still questionable.

Incident #1:
Well, I purchased a new 2014 IS350 AWD (premium) back in Feb 2015 (last one on the lot). First off, love the car other than the minor issues that I hope to resolve. I had my first unsuccessful car starting attempt back in mid September 2015. The car did turn over a couple of times with what was left of the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) in the stock Panasonic Battery. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough and the starter would make its usual fast "clicking" noise. I ended up jumping the car with my truck and allowed the battery to charge. I also went over most of the common switches and accessories (door light switch, reading lights front and back, hood and trunk release, door ajar, sunroof, headlights, etc.). and all was normal.

I drove the car to work and the battery charged while I was on my way. The car started up after work sitting outside in normal 70 degree weather for 9 hours. I brought the car home, parked it in my garage, and locked it. **My key fob would be over 1000ft away from the car, no lights left on, all components shut off for normal parking, etc. No problem within the immediate two weeks with starting the car every day (but didn't drive it to work).

Incident #2:
So I've been driving my truck since early September 2015, which is why I am probably seeing my battery issue(s) now with the 3IS. The Lexus use to be my daily driver and now I have switched to the truck since winter is coming and Nebraska Drivers suck a$$.... I decided to drive my truck for about 5 days and wanted to drive the Lexus 3IS on a nice morning and also because I scheduled my 10K mile check-up. When out to the garage and opened the car just fine until I went to start the car. The battery was more dead than the first incident with only the "clicking" of the starter, no engine turn-over. I ended up leaving the car home, taking the truck to work and when it came time for the scheduled maintenance I jump stated it and drove it to my local Lexus dealer.

I had the dealer check the battery's heath and do a parasitic draw test. Everything came out good. Battery health and charge was good. Parasitic draw was normal. Drove the car home and let it sit for another 4 days until I went to drive it later that week...

Incident #3:
Dressed up in a suit for my day at my now previous job and the battery is dead... "HMMmmm, well lets take the truck; nope, fender flares are being installed today...ahhh, sh17!" lmao... (had to throw that in there). So I went to grab my yellow top Optima batter I have sitting on the floor inside for a hobby car, ripped out the Panasonic (pain in the *** too) and put the Optima in there and went to work. Well, the car stated great with the Optima having nearly 200+ more CCA than the stock battery.

Incident #3.5:
So after having the third(ish) incident, it was time to start analyzing the history and battery statuses of the car. I brought out my multi meter and tested the better 4 days later. The yellow top had dropped from a healthy 12.6 volts to an 11.15 volts. I had the stock Panasonic battery on a work bench still "dead" from when I pulled it out. I decided to put the multi meter up to the Panasonic battery and the multi meter read 11.54 volts. Well, to much of my surprise but I'm glad that the yellow top has a larger capacity, I was able to crank the car over enough to get it started. You can tell a battery is quality when it still provides the CCA needed at a low volt to turn that v6 over, nice and slow LOL.

Over time I have been going out and stating the car; it starts hard due to the assessed drain...I'm sure once I have the time to trouble shoot it myself I will try to narrow down the issue but for now, incident 4 is slowly creeping in.

Incident #4:
Soon to be... I am guessing my Yellow Top is probably struggling right now to keep enough CCA to turn the engine over... I guess I will see this weekend when I feel up to going to and checking on the car. For all I know and care, it is probably dead.

All in all, as of today I called Lexus Corporate and started a case even though I've only brought the car into the dealership once. But I won't play the game of bringing a car back and fourth to satisfy their "testing" and "laziness" to fix a known issue over the past couple of years. So, I will have to let you know what the dealership does to fix this issue and not destroy my new Red Top Battery I just bought two days ago. The yellow top wasn't an exact fit but it worked until I could figure our my next course of action.

Hope this little narrative helped. I'm going to see if we can move directly to the gateway ECU fix. I've already done the dealership's leg work.

***EDIT***

I wanted to add this extra note and little piece of analysis. I did notice prior to my first starting issue is that, if the car sat for about two days it would start a little rough with the lights dimming a little bit. That was quite possibly the early signs of battery drain. At least I can tell my car is constant on the amount of time for the battery needed to drain enough for it be not start the vehicle.

Last edited by shirosan; 11-20-15 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 11:14 PM
ramlawih
Driver

Yup this thing just hit me yesterday. Ive driven from home to the mall, went out to get some donuts and back in 7 mins and this click noise came when i hit the start button, i jumped started it and it started in like 2 seconds. This morning it started from the first. Ill have it checked today
Old 11-23-15, 05:15 PM
39RN
Driver

I have had to jump the car three times since I bought it in October. Called Lexus roadside this morning when it wouldn't start and they sent AAA out. Of course by the time he got here I tried it one more time and it started right up. I drove straight to the dealership and told them what was going on. Two hours later.... He told me the gateway ECU needed replaced and that it was on order and be installed tomorrow. Tossed me the keys to a loaner and off I went.

This is my first experience with the Lexus service department and I must say they exceeded my expectation. I was expecting an argument from a lot of what I have been reading.

Edit: Was just told by the dealer that there are no more available ECU's. Could be a few days could be a month... Hopefully find out a better time estimate tomorrow.

Last edited by 39RN; 11-24-15 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-07-15, 08:05 AM
AlexTheMan
Driver School Candidate

Happened to me for the first time today. Car has been sitting in the garage for just 2 days. I had my 2014 IS350 since July 2013. Will take it to the dealer this afternoon after I jump it. Have no idea if it is a bad battery or ECU related.
Old 12-31-15, 02:16 AM
toan626
Driver School Candidate

1st time Happened To me to day on My Lexus IS 350 2014 @ 16k Miles. Just left outside for 15 hours and now the battery is dead . Ima bring em in the dealer tmr and will see...
Old 12-31-15, 05:32 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Happened to me once at 9K and never again -- yet. I'm at 20K.
Old 01-01-16, 03:26 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

My car just died on me sitting in the garage over night. This is the 2nd time @ 15.5k miles. Service dept is closed today, so gotta get it towed tomorrow. Lexus specifically told me not to jump the car if this happens again. Anyone get their problem resolved yet?
Old 01-01-16, 03:28 PM
39RN
Driver

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
My car just died on me sitting in the garage over night. This is the 2nd time @ 15.5k miles. Service dept is closed today, so gotta get it towed tomorrow. Lexus specifically told me not to jump the car if this happens again. Anyone get their problem resolved yet?
They just replaced my Gateway ECU about a month ago. No questions asked. No issues whatsoever since.
Old 01-01-16, 07:46 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 39RN

They just replaced my Gateway ECU about a month ago. No questions asked. No issues whatsoever since.
Thanks, I'll ask about the gateways ecu. I hope that it won't be a battle like the first time when i asked for battery replacement, where they refused until i called Lexus corporate. I've had my car since 7/2013, so it's too late to claim mine as a lemon. Now knowing how unreliable my car is, i should've bought myself an M3 originally when i had the chance, lol.

Last edited by Dark9t316; 01-01-16 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)