3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 01:46 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by gallo24
I just wanted to share my ongoing experience:

I took my 2014 IS250 F Sport with BSM into the Dealership in SoCal and they told me they narrowed down the battery drain to the Network Gateway ECU.

Since I have 65K miles, the dealer told me this part is not covered under my 50k Bumper to Bumper Warranty. They quoted me $8XX (Part + Labor).

With the help of this AWESOME forum, it seems like this issue is happening to other owners. Seems like this NG ECU is a defect and should be recalled. I contacted Lexus Customer Satisfaction and started a case with them and was told that a case manager will reach out to me within 2 business days. Updates will come as soon as I find out more information.

*OEM battery was replaced w/ a Lexus Battery 1-2 months ago directly from the dealership. Since the replacement, the car died four times.
I think you have a strong case for a Goodwill repair. If by chance you had any documented proof of the battery dying before the warranty ran out, I would present that as well.
It will show that the issue did occur during the warranty period, whether the dealer could verify it or not...or a repair attempt was made or not.
Old 08-09-17, 02:11 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Which dealership Gallo?
Old 08-09-17, 03:19 PM
gallo24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think you have a strong case for a Goodwill repair. If by chance you had any documented proof of the battery dying before the warranty ran out, I would present that as well.
It will show that the issue did occur during the warranty period, whether the dealer could verify it or not...or a repair attempt was made or not.
Unfortunately, the battery never died on me within the warranty period. However, I've got documentation of the battery replacement and the multiple calls I had to make to Lexus Roadside Assistance. There is even documentations for my 60k prepaid maintenance to service my car at the dealership. Hopefully all that info will help with my case.
Old 08-09-17, 03:20 PM
gallo24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
Which dealership Gallo?
South County Lexus
Old 08-15-17, 04:17 PM
gallo24
Driver School Candidate

I ended up contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction and explained my situation. A case manager was assigned to handle my case. It took two business days to reach out to me to follow-up and then another two business days until a decision was made. Lexus response, "Lexus has agreed to offer a one time goodwill to cover the full cost of your repair for the battery discharge issue..."

Now I am patiently waiting for the repair and expecting to receive my car back tomorrow!
Old 08-15-17, 05:42 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If anyone in the Canadian market needs a vin reference for the TSB, here you go.
remember its either or, not both needed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-TCI-3682-en.pdf (933.0 KB, 636 views)
Old 08-15-17, 08:53 PM
evident
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
got my car back this time, they did not replace the ECU.
so here's my experience so far:

first experienced symptoms last year. Jump started car myself, took car to Cherry Hill Lexus, and they replaced ECU it without making any fuss in springish 2015.
Since then, it seems like the part they replaced it with was superceded by another TSB sometime in summer 2016.

been traveling lots this year. car wasn't started for a month back in april. wife says its dead as a door nail. had lexus roadside assistance at thompson come jump it, take it in to see if they can replace the ECU again under the new TSB part number. They say nothing is wrong with the car and give it back to me.

this week I'm on travel again, car didnt start after 7 days. thompson lexus is came over to jump the car. i'm going to schedule an appointment with the original dealer who replaced my ecu without an issue. unfortunately that won't be for another 3-4 weeks till i get home.
Old 09-27-17, 03:48 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by evident
so here's my experience so far:

first experienced symptoms last year. Jump started car myself, took car to Cherry Hill Lexus, and they replaced ECU it without making any fuss in springish 2015.
Since then, it seems like the part they replaced it with was superceded by another TSB sometime in summer 2016.

been traveling lots this year. car wasn't started for a month back in april. wife says its dead as a door nail. had lexus roadside assistance at thompson come jump it, take it in to see if they can replace the ECU again under the new TSB part number. They say nothing is wrong with the car and give it back to me.

this week I'm on travel again, car didnt start after 7 days. thompson lexus is came over to jump the car. i'm going to schedule an appointment with the original dealer who replaced my ecu without an issue. unfortunately that won't be for another 3-4 weeks till i get home.
took my car back to the original dealer cherry hill Lexus that replaced the ecu for me along with the updated tsb. They kept it over night and said the issue is still there, they ordered a new ecu and will replace for me. Makes me more pissed at Thompson for wasting my time. I'll gladly go the extra 20 miles to work with cherry hill going forward!
Old 10-14-17, 07:42 PM
evident
Racer

Annnnd... it's dead again. The car makes an intermittent noise you can hear from inside the cabin. Really getting pissed now. have a trickle charger hooked up to it hopefully it will start in the morning

Last edited by evident; 10-14-17 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 07:25 PM
evident
Racer

Finally resolved... hopefully. Did the concierge service w/ the dealership where they came to the house, picked up the car and left a loaner. They said that the car's battery was shot and initially wanted $199 for a replacement. Wife kindly reminded them that we took the vehicle in three times for the failed ECU and after the third time they claimed battery was OK. Battery probably experienced severe drain cycles which eventually wore out the battery. They agreed to replace the battery free of charge under warranty and left it over the weekend to verify ECU wouldn't drain. Got it back two days ago. Still very happy with the dealership overall... kind of pissed they initially wanted to charge for the battery but I'm going to assume the service rep didnt bother to look at the car's service history and see that it was related to a warranty issue.
Old 11-28-17, 04:48 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My battery died this morning. The battery itself is barely 2.5 years old. Typical battery life is around 3-4 years? others to chime in?
Old 11-29-17, 09:10 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

2.5 years is about right for a crappy factory battery that's supposed to last 5 years according to the battery life rating.
Old 11-30-17, 12:32 PM
Chedeng88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car sat in the garage for over a week during the holidays. It was dead when I tried starting it this morning. I had it jumped and headed straight to the dealership with a print-out of TSB L-SB-0035-16 in hand. They will replace the Network Gateway ECU free of charge and I should be able to pick up the car at the end of the day.

Last edited by Chedeng88; 11-30-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 06:19 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chedeng88
Car sat in the garage for over a week during the holidays. It was dead when I tried starting it this morning. I had it jumped and headed straight to the dealership with a print-out of TSB L-SB-0035-16 in hand. They will replace the Network Gateway ECU free of charge and I should be able to pick up the car at the end of the day.
After almost 4 years of fighting and 2 dealers. 3 batteries replacement. Apparently each time the battery threw an error so they kept replacing it. On the 4th time last week, the battery was tested okay so they finally have a reason to give me a new Network Gateway ECU this morning.

I was also able to duplicate the issue. If I lock the car using the remote over night the car will die the next morning. Normally, I lock the car using the handle. My car is garage kept and the key is one floor up from the garage. Concrete floor! But apparently the range is enough for the car to be talking to the remote. Either that or the car is stupid and kept pinging the remote. Who knows. But locking using the remote will drain the battery. It’s too bad it took almost 4 years to finally be able to consistently repeat it.
Old 02-11-18, 04:13 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Just installed the new gateway ECU into one of my cars.

Still getting a battery draw.

So puzzled by this.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)