IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 01:35 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm also still on the original battery, 2015 IS 250. Also have an aftermarket sub + remote start module on the car. Never died once
Old 08-28-22, 03:14 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

had battery replaced twice in my ownership. The second one died quite recently. Now, I am supposedly on a new battery and it is already at 10.8V.

I put it on a trickle charger overnight and it gets to 12.2V. After driving the car it shows maybe about 11.7-11.8V

It is either
- another ****ty battery,
- the alternator is not charging the battery correctly
- there is some parasitic draw in the system.

2015 is350

Last edited by sunamer; 08-28-22 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 09:12 AM
JanHalen
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bumping this thread because my car has begun to have this issue after a year of ownership.
my car is a 2016 is300 f sport AWD. Purchased the car with 37k miles and now sitting at 70k miles.

About 2 months ago car died, replaced the battery and all was good. Car died again, had the battery checked and it was fine. Took the car to my mechanic who then replaced the alternator as it wasn’t working well and looked to be in need of replacement. Alternator was replaced and in working order, but still the battery was not receiving the proper charge.

I then took the car to a local Lexus dealer. The dealer ran a diagnostic and then told me I needed to have my brand new alternator replaced. I then took the car back to my mechanic who then took video of the alternator showing proper charge.

At this point I’m at a loss. Im so sick of the dealership bull**** and the reality that these cars have a massive electrical issue. I’m not sure what to do or just get rid of it. Shame on Lexus for not addressing this properly.
Old 10-04-22, 09:32 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by JanHalen
Bumping this thread because my car has begun to have this issue after a year of ownership.
my car is a 2016 is300 f sport AWD. Purchased the car with 37k miles and now sitting at 70k miles.

About 2 months ago car died, replaced the battery and all was good. Car died again, had the battery checked and it was fine. Took the car to my mechanic who then replaced the alternator as it wasn’t working well and looked to be in need of replacement. Alternator was replaced and in working order, but still the battery was not receiving the proper charge.

I then took the car to a local Lexus dealer. The dealer ran a diagnostic and then told me I needed to have my brand new alternator replaced. I then took the car back to my mechanic who then took video of the alternator showing proper charge.

At this point I’m at a loss. Im so sick of the dealership bull**** and the reality that these cars have a massive electrical issue. I’m not sure what to do or just get rid of it. Shame on Lexus for not addressing this properly.
I got my new lexus/toyota battery replaced recently. It was 1 m old... under warranty. But also, Lexus tech told me the positive clamp was all corroded and needed replacing. The new battery seem to be charging and keeping the charge fine with the new clamp. So, it could have been the clamp causing enough voltage drop to kill the battery. Dunno...

Keeping an eye on the battery. But, I am at 69k miles (2015 is350) and I thought that the alternator was bad, but the lexus tech convinced me that it wasn't. He tested it and it did pass the test. I always count on their greed to upsell me something, instead of not selling me that which I actually would need. 🌝😅
Old 10-04-22, 10:28 AM
JanHalen
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I filed a complaint with Lexus corporate. Hopefully I’ll be heard.
Old 10-04-22, 11:46 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

A bad battery cable is a thing. The forum for my other car has several reports of bad battery cables causing batteries to not fully charge. See if the cable gets hot while the car is running, if so, it has a lot of resistance and blocking the flow of juice to your battery.
A loose connection at either end will reduce your charging function too.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (10-25-23)
Old 10-25-23, 11:37 AM
Bxtaskforc
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RaysurX
Probably just a defective cell or cell(s) in your battery. Rapidly clicking dash during attempted start is indicative of not enough power to start car (battery issue). While its a bad start on your new ownership, I wouldn't be too worried....however when the dealer replaces your battery and it happens again....THEN start to be concerned.

I have a 2014 IS350 and I experieexperienced my battery going bad for the 2nd time. I have Toyota's Lifetime warranty battery. 1st one replaced at 9 month. This battery has brained out 1 so far. This is a very common problem. It's not the battery. Remember that the IS has 30 plus computers and gateway to maintain the vehicle operations.
Old 10-25-23, 11:49 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by kj07xk
A bad battery cable is a thing. The forum for my other car has several reports of bad battery cables causing batteries to not fully charge. See if the cable gets hot while the car is running, if so, it has a lot of resistance and blocking the flow of juice to your battery.
A loose connection at either end will reduce your charging function too.
I concur. When I had a battery die on me, Lexus dealer had to replace a cable clamp that hooks to a (+) battery lead.
Old 10-25-23, 11:52 AM
sunamer
Advanced

I am guessing it wasnt the alternator. When my battery needed to be replaced, I suggested to a dealer that maybe it is the alternator.. They are financially incentivized to change more parts to fix my problem, yet they said the alternator was fine. They tested it and it worked just fine. It ended up being a battery clamp which had corroded and wasn't supplying enough juice to the battery.

Yes, clicking sound is a relay clicking on/off as it detects abnormal starting condition.
Old 10-25-23, 11:53 AM
Bxtaskforc
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Bxtaskforc;11601696]I have a 2014 IS350 and I experienced my battery going bad for the 2nd time. I have Toyota's Lifetime warranty battery. 1st one replaced at 9 month. This battery has brained out 1 so far 2nd time. This is a very common problem. It's not the battery. Remember that the IS has 30 plus computers and gateway to maintain the vehicle operations.
Old 10-25-23, 12:02 PM
sunamer
Advanced

[QUOTE=Bxtaskforc;11601712]
Originally Posted by Bxtaskforc
I have a 2014 IS350 and I experienced my battery going bad for the 2nd time. I have Toyota's Lifetime warranty battery. 1st one replaced at 9 month. This battery has brained out 1 so far 2nd time. This is a very common problem. It's not the battery. Remember that the IS has 30 plus computers and gateway to maintain the vehicle operations.
Sort of yes, correct, but also, since I got my battery replaced with another toyota battery, I had no issues and the car would start in cold after sitting for almost a week in a non-heated garage. Before I also thought that there was an abnormal battery drain, but it is clearly not the case anymore.. So, yes, some batteries being duds is a problem (which is warrantied anyway), but huge parasitic drain isnt that big of a problem.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)