IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I don't have VGRS. What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 11:25 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't have VGRS. What am I missing?

Not having done my homework before I bought my IS 350 F Sport (rwd), I didn't realize that VGRS was an option on my car--I thought it was part of the F Sport package. One of the reasons I chose Lexus over BMW and Infiniti was its great steering. Had I know about the VGRS option, I probably would have waited for one as its cost is negligible given the overall cost of the car. No matter, as I love my car--but since steering was a critical element in my calculus, my oversight left me with questions.

Realistically, since I'll never have the opportunity to drive a VGRS-equipped car, can someone please tell me what I'm missing (for those of you who've driven both)?. Is there a significant difference in feel and handling? Are its benefits only apparent at the track?

Last edited by UncleSpud; 10-20-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-20-13, 11:57 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ur missing the power telescopic and tilt steering wheel. Other than that u may or may not like vgrs.

Like how some may prefer the paddle shifter over a real manual car. Real sports driver prefer manual over the bltch paddle.
Old 10-20-13, 12:53 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbx
Ur missing the power telescopic and tilt steering wheel. Other than that u may or may not like vgrs.

Like how some may prefer the paddle shifter over a real manual car. Real sports driver prefer manual over the bltch paddle.
B*tch paddle? (lol)
Old 10-20-13, 01:07 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Not having done my homework before I bought my IS 350 F Sport (rwd), I didn't realize that VGRS was an option on my car--I thought it was part of the F Sport package. One of the reasons I chose Lexus over BMW and Infiniti was its great steering. Had I know about the VGRS option, I probably would have waited for one as its cost is negligible given the overall cost of the car. No matter, as I love my car--but since steering was a critical element in my calculus, my oversight left me with questions.

Realistically, since I'll never have the opportunity to drive a VGRS-equipped car, can someone please tell me what I'm missing (for those of you who've driven both)?. Is there a significant difference in feel and handling? Are its benefits only apparent at the track?
It's just a feature like power steering. It will make steering easier in low speeds and make it more stable in high speeds. If you like the car without it I wouldn't sweat it.

http://www.lexus.com.bh/technology_e....asp?model=All

Old 10-20-13, 01:54 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonyHome
It's just a feature like power steering. It will make steering easier in low speeds and make it more stable in high speeds. If you like the car without it I wouldn't sweat it.

http://www.lexus.com.bh/technology_e....asp?model=All

http://vimeo.com/44172771
Thanks Sony. In Sport+ the steering feels plenty stable at speed (at least compared to the competitors I cross-shopped), but I suppose even more stability wouldn't hurt. I don't know if this is an apt analogy, but perhaps VGRS is like the Servtronic option on Bimmers?
Old 10-20-13, 02:33 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Thanks Sony. In Sport+ the steering feels plenty stable at speed (at least compared to the competitors I cross-shopped), but I suppose even more stability wouldn't hurt. I don't know if this is an apt analogy, but perhaps VGRS is like the Servtronic option on Bimmers?
Yes, I believe it is the same as variable sport steering offered as part BMW 3/4 series dynamic handling package. FYI, when I was shopping BMW recently, I was told by more than one dealer that I would have to special order if wanted VSS, as it was not a popular enough option to be included in regular dealer allocations.

As I mentioned on another thread, I drove the 3IS with and without VGRS. It makes some difference, expecially for the price, but not a deal breaker. Handling characteristics in Sport + mode are more than enough fun. I needed AWD and so could get neither VGRS nor the 8 speed. Quite frankly, I regret not being able to get that tranny a whole lot more than I'll miss the VGRS. So enjoy your car!!!
Old 10-20-13, 03:18 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kelvin105
Well the VGRS also moves your headlight to the direction you steer right? For only $400+ more that is so worthy as it helps to not run over someone or an animal in a dark place. Unfortunately I didn't want to wait for my IS350 or else I would have order it
I don't think it does that at least I have not heard! Price of $400 is definitely reasonable for what you get!
Old 10-20-13, 03:31 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=kelvin105;8196737]Well the VGRS also moves your headlight to the direction you steer right? For only $400+ more that is so worthy as it helps to not run over someone or an animal in a dark place. Unfortunately I didn't want to wait for my IS350 or else I would have order it [/QUOTE

No, that option would be adaptive headlights. To my knowledge, this is not an option on the 3IS. If it were to be offered, adaptive headlights would be part of a lighting package, standard or optional. This option would not be part of a handling package option.
Old 10-20-13, 04:25 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=kelvin105;8196795]
Originally Posted by CtSFox

Nvm that then, still Lexus should put those option packages that are around $500 on the IS to make it more of a high end car. So far my IS350 F sport only has the BSM lol... with fake leather.
I regret not getting the ML Package. That's the only thing I'm kicking myself for. Sure you had to special order it but that's better than buying a car that has been sitting on the lot for months and getting a ton of swirls from the crappy washes they do.
Old 10-20-13, 04:51 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

CtSFox, you messed up the quote coding and it screwed up everyone after too. lol

VGRS is nice for power tele and tilt, I always hit the wheel when I get out and the car is still on. It makes getting out of the car a lot easier when the wheel auto moves into resting position.
Old 10-20-13, 05:07 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
CtSFox, you messed up the quote coding and it screwed up everyone after too. lol

VGRS is nice for power tele and tilt, I always hit the wheel when I get out and the car is still on. It makes getting out of the car a lot easier when the wheel auto moves into resting position.
Yeah, sorry, I don't know how I did that!
Old 10-20-13, 08:06 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

[/IMG]
Old 10-20-13, 10:10 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

[QUOTE=CtSFox;8196754]
Originally Posted by kelvin105
Well the VGRS also moves your headlight to the direction you steer right? For only $400+ more that is so worthy as it helps to not run over someone or an animal in a dark place. Unfortunately I didn't want to wait for my IS350 or else I would have order it [/QUOTE

No, that option would be adaptive headlights. To my knowledge, this is not an option on the 3IS. If it were to be offered, adaptive headlights would be part of a lighting package, standard or optional. This option would not be part of a handling package option.
CTS is correct. No adaptive headlights for 3IS. BMW charges $900 or so for self-leveling, adaptive headlights on the 328i. My ex had them on her '06 A3 (minus the self-leveling component). They were nice, but prohibitively expensive.
Old 10-21-13, 01:45 PM
js1011
Rookie

If you're worried about having itchy fingers by buying your IS350 F-Sport without VGRS, you should be more worried about if you passed up on BSM and/or Radar Cruise Control w/Pre-Collision System.
Old 10-21-13, 09:03 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by js1011
If you're worried about having itchy fingers by buying your IS350 F-Sport without VGRS, you should be more worried about if you passed up on BSM and/or Radar Cruise Control w/Pre-Collision System.
Fortunately, my car came with BSM--a great feature. If VGRS, pre-collision warning and radar cruise had been available, I would have popped for them as well. Not one of the four IS 350 F-Sports available in my area (Las Vegas) was equipped differently than mine, save for color.

I love the car, but I'm kinda sorry I pulled the trigger so quickly. OTOH, I'm not waiting for a boat from Japan.

Quick Reply: I don't have VGRS. What am I missing?