IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 11:37 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

LOL, not a grudge. It was the only indicator I needed to know their reviews are not credible.
Old 10-26-13, 01:18 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this review doesn't affect sales!
Old 10-26-13, 01:32 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeball
I hope this review doesn't affect sales!

I suspect the CR review won't affect sales much. If CR were to find the car defective or unreliable, then CR, as a credible evaluator of such matters would be speaking with authority. However, in this case, CR was offering opinion about the performance of a vehicle as a sports sedan, where they have no expertise. The consumer will most likely ignore CR's speaking "beyoond their credentials" and instead look the thre real experts in these matters, such as Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc.
Old 10-26-13, 02:54 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I suspect the CR review won't affect sales much. If CR were to find the car defective or unreliable, then CR, as a credible evaluator of such matters would be speaking with authority. However, in this case, CR was offering opinion about the performance of a vehicle as a sports sedan, where they have no expertise. The consumer will most likely ignore CR's speaking "beyoond their credentials" and instead look the thre real experts in these matters, such as Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc.
I think you're confusing consumers with car enthusiasts. Most consumers will not recognize CR is speaking "beyond their credentials" In fact, most consumers think CR is quite credible.
Old 10-26-13, 02:58 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I think you're confusing consumers with car enthusiasts. Most consumers will not recognize CR is speaking "beyond their credentials" In fact, most consumers think CR is quite credible.
Good point. So, I guess whether sales become depressed from the CR opinion might depend on what percentage of potential 3IS buyers are car enthusiasts who care about the driving experience. To the extent that a signficant percentage of the 3IS market does not have more than a marginal knowledge about cars and is not intested in how one car really performs relative to others in its class, then sales may well indeed be hurt.

Last edited by CtSFox; 10-26-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-26-13, 03:28 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I really hope Lexus sales would get hurt so they stop milking their costumers with the same platform for over 8 years now. they needed a change this year and they haven;t come with anything competitive. this 2.5l engine is neither sporty not economical and has no chance in front of their competitors.
Old 10-26-13, 04:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

keyframe13, platform is all new and keep in mind consumers in this segment also want a smooth and sporty sounding engine and exhaust note for their base models, not just the top models. Competitors with their 2L Turbos are fast and more economical but they fall short in the NVH / sound and smoothness department. A colleague of mine is shopping for a luxury sports sedan and ditched the 328i because of the unpleasant 4 cylinder harmonics as it's not what he expected in a 50K+ car. Undeniably, the Lexus 2.5L V6 in the IS outshines them and even slightly over its big brother, the 3.5L V6 in the 350.

It's clear, there's a consumer market that puts the emphasis on power that you've made valid points to, and another market that prioritizes a luxuriously smooth and sweet sounding V6, i.e. myself. 80% of IS buyers can't all be wrong on the 250.
Old 10-26-13, 04:22 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Kiss that smoothness goodbye when you start getting carbon buildup in that motor. Then you're plagued with even less power, even worse economy, and the smoothness of a 4 cylinder if you're lucky. Quite frankly it's an engine that should not exist in a 2014 model year $40,000+ luxury vehicle.

Anyone can give anecdotal evidence about of their friend chose this for whatever reason. It's a pretty meaningless metric though.
Old 10-26-13, 04:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ Carbon buildup plagues all DI engines even the 2L Turbo fours from the competition. Never had issues with my 08 IS 250. Let's agree to disagree on the value of the 2.5L V6. Fact is, Lexus still sells it, the IS is still tops in reliability, and more importantly, majority of people still buy it.
Old 10-26-13, 04:36 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
keyframe13, platform is all new and keep in mind consumers in this segment also want a smooth and sporty sounding engine and exhaust note for their base models, not just the top models. Competitors with their 2L Turbos are fast and more economical but they fall short in the NVH / sound and smoothness department. A colleague of mine is shopping for a luxury sports sedan and ditched the 328i because of the unpleasant 4 cylinder harmonics as it's not what he expected in a 50K+ car. Undeniably, the Lexus 2.5L V6 in the IS outshines them and even slightly over its big brother, the 3.5L V6 in the 350.

It's clear, there's a consumer market that puts the emphasis on power that you've made valid points to, and another market that prioritizes a luxuriously smooth and sweet sounding V6, i.e. myself. 80% of IS buyers can't all be wrong on the 250.
I respectfully disagree. Lexus IS250 engine is a joke and like other people said should not be in the game for so many years and I am sure Lexus would learn a lesson from this. It is the most unreliable engine, it is not sporty(unless you call close to 8s sporty...I sure don;t) and it is not efficient. 20/30 are numbers I was getting on my 2000 acura TL with 3.5 engine V6 and 225 hp and much more torque than the IS250 has.
On top of that many other manufactures like acura or honda has super smooth V6 engine much more efficient than IS250, itf smoothness is your friend;s concern. No need to get a 9-10 years old engine for that.
Lexus is trying with IS250 to please customers with a fancy interior and "look at me" type of exterior that looks fast without actually being one.

Last edited by keyframe13; 10-26-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-26-13, 04:37 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Majority of people buy it because it's cheaper and most don't know about the carbon issue. The 350 isn't the 250's competition, the 328 is. As far as carbon build up on the competition, I haven't heard anything about that, but even if it were true, you're still stuck with an engine that's less efficient, less powerful and nowhere near as smooth as when you bought it which by your own admission, is why one may choose it over the competition.

You keep pointing back to sales, lets face it. You bought it because of $$$ and nothing more. If the 350 cost the same, you'd have bought the 350, especially considering the MPG is virtually the same.

Last edited by Ramon; 10-26-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-26-13, 04:41 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Undeniably, the Lexus 2.5L V6 in the IS outshines them and even slightly over its big brother, the 3.5L V6 in the 350.
You really think the 2.5L V6 outshines the 3.5L v6 in the 350 though? I think with a difference of a mere $4k, the bigger engine and Sport+ mode with AVS are definitely worth the bump up in price.
Old 10-26-13, 05:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I respectfully disagree. Lexus IS250 engine is a joke and like other people said should not be in the game for so many years and I am sure Lexus would learn a lesson from this. It is the most unreliable engine, it is not sporty(unless you call close to 8s sporty...I sure don;t) and it is not efficient. 20/30 are numbers I was getting on my 2000 acura TL with 3.5 engine V6 and 225 hp and much more torque than the IS250 has.
On top of that many other manufactures like acura or honda has super smooth V6 engine much more efficient than IS250, itf smoothness is your friend;s concern. No need to get a 9-10 years old engine for that.
Lexus is trying with IS250 to please customers with a fancy interior and "look at me" type of exterior that looks fast without actually being one.
Acura isn't considered a real luxury brand. And why are you comparing their 3.5 to the Lexus 2.5? You do realize the J series 3.5 is just as old if not older right. It's 2013 and Acuras most powerful car has a whopping 310hp. I'd leave them out the discussion.

The 2.5 is the entry level engine like the Germans offer. The c-class c-259 is actually a 1.8 liter I-4. BMW now sells a 2.0 with 180hp, the 320, below the 328 and IS 250.

Value is all relative. Looking at Is 250 sales since 2006 people love the car. And the engine will be replaced next year so all this *****ing by everyone is moot

Old 10-26-13, 05:37 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Acura isn't considered a real luxury brand. And why are you comparing their 3.5 to the Lexus 2.5? You do realize the J series 3.5 is just as old if not older right. It's 2013 and Acuras most powerful car has a whopping 310hp. I'd leave them out the discussion.
The comperation was strictly to show that a 14 years old 3.5 V6 is more efficient that lexus 2.5 V6. As someone mentioned it's economical.
Originally Posted by Blueprint
The 2.5 is the entry level engine like the Germans offer. The c-class c-259 is actually a 1.8 liter I-4. BMW now sells a 2.0 with 180hp, the 320, below the 328 and IS 250.

Value is all relative. Looking at Is 250 sales since 2006 people love the car. And the engine will be replaced next year so all this *****ing by everyone is moot
I'm a new member here but I noticed that every time someone asks advice to buy a 250 everyone jumps on him to go to 350 as the engine is slow and has huge reliability problems as cb , didn;t you noticed the same thing?! Btw most of those advices are from Is250 owners. Hang out in the IS section a little more
Old 10-26-13, 05:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by keyframe13
The comperation was strictly to show that a 14 years old 3.5 V6 is more efficient that lexus 2.5 V6. As someone mentioned it's economical.

I'm a new member here but I noticed that every time someone asks advice to buy a 250 everyone jumps on him to go to 350 as the engine is slow and has huge reliability problems as cb , didn;t you noticed the same thing?! Btw most of those advices are from Is250 owners. Hang out in the IS section a little more
I think we are well aware that the 2.5 has never been a segment leader so not sure why people feel the need to rehash the same things over. It's an engine for the entry level model. I wouldn't compare the 2000 TL engine and ratings that are not from the EPA. Someone can easily say "oh my 2.5 gets me 35 mpg".. Ancetedol evidence....

Hang out in the IS section more? LMfao you are new aren't you.

Quick Reply: Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!