IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 06:02 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Kiss that smoothness goodbye when you start getting carbon buildup in that motor. Then you're plagued with even less power, even worse economy, and the smoothness of a 4 cylinder if you're lucky. Quite frankly it's an engine that should not exist in a 2014 model year $40,000+ luxury vehicle.

Anyone can give anecdotal evidence about of their friend chose this for whatever reason. It's a pretty meaningless metric though.
Uhmm Lexus suffered the least amount of CB. And the issue was resolved all together in the 2009/2010 IS update.

Take a look at carbon buildup from the Audi products.. BMW also suffers from massive CB on all their cars and is still a ongoing issue.

Besides the IS250 is powerful for a 'base'

Compare the IS250 to BMW 320, ATS 2.5 I-4 and you'd see the IS250 is far better. Much smoother and more powerful.

The 328i costs as much, if not more than the IS350
Old 10-26-13, 06:14 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
Uhmm Lexus suffered the least amount of CB. And the issue was resolved all together in the 2009/2010 IS update.

Take a look at carbon buildup from the Audi products.. BMW also suffers from massive CB on all their cars and is still a ongoing issue.

Besides the IS250 is powerful for a 'base'

Compare the IS250 to BMW 320, ATS 2.5 I-4 and you'd see the IS250 is far better. Much smoother and more powerful.

The 328i costs as much, if not more than the IS350
Are you just making stuff up? The IS 350 starts $2115 higher than a 328i while the IS 250 is $1350 lower.
Old 10-26-13, 07:06 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I really hope Lexus sales would get hurt so they stop milking their costumers with the same platform for over 8 years now. they needed a change this year and they haven;t come with anything competitive. this 2.5l engine is neither sporty not economical and has no chance in front of their competitors.
Good point! Lexus is like the iPhone. Improvement and innovation are so incrementally slow engine-wise!
Old 10-26-13, 07:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, let's not get twisted around by CR's results. ALL of the media, I don't care if it is from enthusiast mags (C&D, MT, Automobile), consumer organizations (CR and the like), or ones from local newspapers, everyone comes in with a bias. CR likes to say they are unbiased but they can't be when they assess how a car feels or how it performs. There has been a bias over the last few years towards American iron, and European cars when compared to Japanese. Take it with a grain of salt, the only problem is this sort of review can bias the average Joe in the street which could hurt resale value down the road.
Old 10-26-13, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Also worth pointing out CR's 0-60 times are always slower than all other publications and even manufacturer ratings. This is likely because they don't braketorque during their tests. Or in other words, they just release the brake pedal and then mash the gas. Without braketorquing, times will always be slower.

Lastly, I just want to say again they picked the worst possible combination to test. And to judge the entire new IS from this version is irresponsible. The 250 motor on a RWD is passable for everyday driving and even peppy at times if you dig in. Give the same engine AWD and it's behind the curve. Here in the West, no one orders or buys the AWD. RWD has served masses of people with no problem, which proves it's capabilites.

Why does this all matter some ask? Resale. CR is a highly regarded publication that people use when researching cars. It can easily put a dent in sales, which can have a chain reaction all the way from transaction prices to resale value.
Old 10-26-13, 10:52 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I respectfully disagree. Lexus IS250 engine is a joke and like other people said should not be in the game for so many years and I am sure Lexus would learn a lesson from this. It is the most unreliable engine, it is not sporty(unless you call close to 8s sporty...I sure don;t) and it is not efficient. 20/30 are numbers I was getting on my 2000 acura TL with 3.5 engine V6 and 225 hp and much more torque than the IS250 has.
On top of that many other manufactures like acura or honda has super smooth V6 engine much more efficient than IS250, itf smoothness is your friend;s concern. No need to get a 9-10 years old engine for that.
Lexus is trying with IS250 to please customers with a fancy interior and "look at me" type of exterior that looks fast without actually being one.
There is no 2000 TL with 3.5
Old 10-27-13, 12:15 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EthanV
There is no 2000 TL with 3.5
3.2 , was a typo. The new TL with 3.5 and 280hp gets the same gas mileage as the lazy 2.5 204hp ..something not right with that 2.5 right.

Last edited by keyframe13; 10-27-13 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 07:11 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

That's exactly what Edmunds say:
What We Think of the 2014 Lexus IS 250

Pros

Upscale and well-built interior; communicative steering; smooth ride.

Cons

V6 engine's lackluster power and fuel economy; not as sporty as it looks; finicky electronics interface.

Unfortunately, one area Lexus left fundamentally unchanged for 2014 is the IS 250's powertrain. The six-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic are smooth and quiet, but the recent increase and success of equally potent turbocharged four-cylinder engines in other sedans has made the aging Lexus engine seem weak and inefficient in comparison. Add in underwhelming handling and braking performance, and there's no denying that the IS 250 falls short of what its sporty styling promises.
Rivals with turbocharged four-cylinders surpass the IS 250 in acceleration and fuel mileage.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is-250/2014/#overview-pod
Old 10-27-13, 07:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That's exactly what Edmunds say:
What We Think of the 2014 Lexus IS 250

Pros

Upscale and well-built interior; communicative steering; smooth ride.

Cons

V6 engine's lackluster power and fuel economy; not as sporty as it looks; finicky electronics interface.

Unfortunately, one area Lexus left fundamentally unchanged for 2014 is the IS 250's powertrain. The six-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic are smooth and quiet, but the recent increase and success of equally potent turbocharged four-cylinder engines in other sedans has made the aging Lexus engine seem weak and inefficient in comparison. Add in underwhelming handling and braking performance, and there's no denying that the IS 250 falls short of what its sporty styling promises.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is-250/2014/#overview-pod
Ouch!
That's gonna leave a mark.
Old 10-27-13, 10:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by kelvin105
Well, as I mentioned before, the 3rd generation IS' not LUXURIOUS at all. Unfortunately some ******* decided to break my rear window and stole my backpack on campus and yes I bought this IS350 less than a month, and so I brought it into the dealer to fix it and took out a loaner ES 300h. I'm sitting on the ES 300h now and I can tell you this is what's called luxurious. Now when you want to put both the IS and ES together you get...... GS. I honestly think Lexus should have design the IS a bit more luxurious from the interior to the terrible placement of the cup holders. At first when I saw this car online revealing the interior DEFINITELY wasn't appealing because I was expecting a nice looking wood trim like the 2nd generation IS had on the middle console or cockpit they say.
Then why did you not only buy one 3IS...but get killed on trade in and buy ANOTHER 3IS if its such a crappy vehicle and the ESh is so much better? Why didn't you buy an ESh?
Old 10-27-13, 10:48 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

^^ Agreed as to why you didnt choose something else as "luxury" styling seems more of your choice over "sporty"

As a car enthusiast, I honestly chose the 3IS for its agressive exterior & sporty styling, sporty handling and nice sounding 3.5V6, and refined "sporty" rioja red interior.

As you can tell the 3IS was designed for the driver in mind, first.
Old 10-27-13, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't understand why someone would commit the resources to buy a car...then commit the resources to take a huge loss on that car to buy the same car with a different engine...and the proceed to cut the car down at every opportunity.
Old 10-27-13, 12:52 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I just don't understand why someone would commit the resources to buy a car...then commit the resources to take a huge loss on that car to buy the same car with a different engine...and the proceed to cut the car down at every opportunity.
Masochism (seriously)
Old 10-27-13, 12:54 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Masochism (seriously)

Unless....like some others here, the narratives are all made up.
Old 10-27-13, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kelvin105
I was trying to point out how the IS250 is neither "sporty or luxurious" and not too appealing with 21 mpg when there're many better selections out there.
They got your $40,000. That's really what it's about, does the car sell? It does, quite well.

Quick Reply: Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!