IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 02:54 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kelvin105
Why in the world do so many people have reading problems. I never did stated that I'm unhappy or regretting the IS350 nor did I even COMPARE it to the ES300h. Please read it again or do I have to restate that I was trying to point out how the IS250 is neither "sporty or luxurious" and not too appealing with 21 mpg when there're many better selections out there.
IS350 isn't a luxury car. We all know that. They seem to cheap out in several places when compared to the 2IS. There was a thread about that somewhere.
Old 10-27-13, 02:59 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
They got your $40,000. That's really what it's about, does the car sell? It does, quite well.
You still don't get it. ) He has an IS350 and he;s happy with it.
Old 10-27-13, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
You still don't get it. ) He has an IS350 and he;s happy with it.
I get it. The bottom line is essentially it's the same car with a more powerful engine. To say that the 250 isn't sporty while the 350 is frankly doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The 350 gets you AVS in the FSport which is a big plus, but other than that. He complains about the interior, cup holders, lack of luxury features...all that is the same.

Again, the 250 outsells the 350 by a huge margin...not to say the 250 is the better car, it's not but to try and say there's some huge chasm where the 350 is incredible and the 250 is garbage is just crazy.
Old 10-27-13, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've driven both cars, of course there's a difference and I would buy the 350. BUT, they are essentially the same car. To say that the 350 is incredible and the 250 is a joke is a real stretch. Plenty of fun can be had in the 250. No 8 speed in an AWD IS which is all we have here, Sport + is great...I have it in the GS, but in most driving situations you're going to be in normal.
Old 10-27-13, 03:58 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I get it. The bottom line is essentially it's the same car with a more powerful engine. To say that the 250 isn't sporty while the 350 is frankly doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The 350 gets you AVS in the FSport which is a big plus, but other than that. He complains about the interior, cup holders, lack of luxury features...all that is the same.

Again, the 250 outsells the 350 by a huge margin...not to say the 250 is the better car, it's not but to try and say there's some huge chasm where the 350 is incredible and the 250 is garbage is just crazy.
How can a car in the almost 8 sec can be considered sporty?! are you kidding? it's competitors gets 6.3(cadillac) and 5.5(bmw) and they get better gas mileage.
In case you missed it 350 unless is AWD gets you a 8 speed gearbox as well. which I think its a big plus and has almost the same gas mileage for the huge performance it offers
His point was that there is a compromise and if IS is not luxurious he likes his 350 that at least has performance.
IS250 is neither luxurious , neither has performance,neither has good gas mileage.
Old 10-27-13, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not denying the 350 is the better car, I'm just saying that acceleration is not the only thing that makes a car "sporty".

Again, like I said, the 250 is what sells in volume. Why? Because most buyers are satisfied with the 250. For those of us that aren't... The 350 is there.

There will be a Replacement for the 250 engine here before too long.
Old 10-27-13, 05:59 PM
LexFather

How can a car in the almost 8 sec can be considered sporty?! are you kidding? it's competitors gets 6.3(cadillac) and 5.5(bmw) and they get better gas mileage.
In case you missed it 350 unless is AWD gets you a 8 speed gearbox as well. which I think its a big plus and has almost the same gas mileage for the huge performance it offers
His point was that there is a compromise and if IS is not luxurious he likes his 350 that at least has performance.
IS250 is neither luxurious , neither has performance,neither has good gas mileage.
Some of the all time great sports cars have the times you call not sporty.

I posted in detail some of the reasons the IS has features not mentioned. The chassis is first rate for instance. It's based off the award winning GS and tons of development money was spent on honing the chassis. The IS offers a real adjustable suspension, not just a sport mode. The LFA gauges clearly are one of a kind. The electrostatic temperature controls. Etc etc

Lexus has an ES so they can go pretty left with the IS. The competition has to blend luxury and sport more since they have one model. Lexus has two distinct cars here.

The constant beating up of the is 250 is old and redundant since 2006

Old 10-27-13, 06:25 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Some of the all time great sports cars have the times you call not sporty.
"All time great sports cars"?! Are you talking about IS250?! Hope not... lol
Old 10-27-13, 06:32 PM
LexFather

"All time great sports cars"?! Are you talking about IS250?! Hope not... lol
No I'm explaining that 0-60 does not make a sporty car. Throughout history some of the most fun cars have been slower ones.

For years I've personally stated how the Is 250 is more fun to drive than the 350 b/c you have to shift constantly and stay engaged with the car. The 350 has abundant power so you are less involved shifting many times.

But hey I've only driven them at the track...

There was a recent comparo of the GT86(frs) vs the Mclaren Mp4-12 and it sounded crazy but the article was explaining how you don't need 600hp to have fun and all that power is hard to use on public roads let alone a novice at the track.

Old 10-27-13, 06:39 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
No I'm explaining that 0-60 does not make a sporty car. Throughout history some of the most fun cars have been slower ones.

For years I've personally stated how the Is 250 is more fun to drive than the 350 b/c you have to shift constantly and stay engaged with the car. The 350 has abundant power so you are less involved shifting many times.

But hey I've only driven them at the track...

There was a recent comparo of the GT86(frs) vs the Mclaren Mp4-12 and it sounded crazy but the article was explaining how you don't need 600hp to have fun and all that power is hard to use on public roads let alone a novice at the track.
Those are funny stories what youre saying here but a car needs to have good performance numbers to be called sporty... as a car needs to have luxurios options to be called luxury.. You cannot call a prius a sport car cuz is fun to drive.

I like what edmunds say about that... I know neither CR or Edmunds have no idea about cars as long as they don;t have good things to say about Lexus, fanboy will say..
"Consider the track test numbers. At the 60-mph mark, the Lexus is more than a second behind the Cadillac and more than 2 seconds behind the BMW. At the end of the quarter-mile, the Lexus has closed a bit, but the gap is still nearly 2 seconds. To put that into perspective, the acceleration difference between the BMW and the Lexus is the same as the one between the IS 250 and the Toyota Prius. You think Prius drivers are slow? That's how every 328i driver is going to feel about the IS 250."
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/...ison-test.html
Old 10-27-13, 06:47 PM
LexFather

Those are funny stories what youre saying here but a car needs to have good performance numbers to be called sporty... as a car needs to have luxurios options to be called luxury.. You cannot call a prius a sport car cuz is fun to drive.

I like what edmunds say about that... I know neither CR or Edmunds have no idea about cars as long as they don;t have good things to say about Lexus, fanboy will say..
"Consider the track test numbers. At the 60-mph mark, the Lexus is more than a second behind the Cadillac and more than 2 seconds behind the BMW. At the end of the quarter-mile, the Lexus has closed a bit, but the gap is still nearly 2 seconds. To put that into perspective, the acceleration difference between the BMW and the Lexus is the same as the one between the IS 250 and the Toyota Prius. You think Prius drivers are slow? That's how every 328i driver is going to feel about the IS 250."
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/...ison-test.html
Did it ever occur to you that 0-60 times might not be a buying point for a consumer. Maybe they like the IS for other reasons and the 250 is perfect for them. It has sold well since 2006.

Look no one is saying the 250 is a segment leader but it did its job admirably and a new boosted 4 comes next year.

Old 10-27-13, 06:55 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

What I don't understand is that why does everyone compare the IS250 with the god damn 328i?

Compare the IS250 with the friggin 320i !!!
Old 10-27-13, 06:59 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
What I don't understand is that why does everyone compare the IS250 with the god damn 328i?

Exactly right!
Old 10-27-13, 07:10 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yowps3

What difference does it make?
BMW 320
Acceleration 0-60 mph – Automatic transmission 7.1s (faster than IS250)
Automatic transmission – City/Highway 24 / 36 mpg (way better than the IS250)

Anyway I think the price is what make them comparable. As IS250 RWD and BMW328i starts at only 1k difference as oppose to 3k difference between a 320i and IS250
Old 10-27-13, 08:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

keyframe13:

Yowps3 and CtSFox are correct. And Blueprint is echoing what I stated prior.

Go check out the so-called 3K cheaper price of the 320i you stated after you add the 250's standard equipment and see what the price jumps to. Sunroof, Sat radio, SmartAccess entry, Metallic paint, self-leveling HIDs.

You seem to be on a personal vendetta against the IS250. Just drop it and move on. Surely you can contribute to this forum and its members in a positive way with newer, fresher comments or critiques on different threads. This one's exhausted. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!