IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

More disappointment with audio system - audio books

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 12:45 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts
Default More disappointment with audio system - audio books

I listen to mp3 audio books and I must say my first one has been a challenge.

1. I can't figure out any consistency for how the system handles power off and power on. Sometimes it seems to pick up right where it left off, other times it seems to start at the beginning of the track I left off on. Very frustrating, especially when some audio tracks can last 15-20min, and never knowing where it will pick up or remembering or knowing where to fast forward to.

2. I need to try this one more time, but it didn't seem to stop playing when I took a phone call. Had to rewind when I was done. Need to check this one more time though to make sure.

3. There is a limit of 255 mp3 files that are playable in any directory. Had to create a second directory and transfer files 256+ to it in order to play them.
Old 10-26-13, 12:23 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
I listen to mp3 audio books and I must say my first one has been a challenge.

1. I can't figure out any consistency for how the system handles power off and power on. Sometimes it seems to pick up right where it left off, other times it seems to start at the beginning of the track I left off on. Very frustrating, especially when some audio tracks can last 15-20min, and never knowing where it will pick up or remembering or knowing where to fast forward to.

2. I need to try this one more time, but it didn't seem to stop playing when I took a phone call. Had to rewind when I was done. Need to check this one more time though to make sure.

3. There is a limit of 255 mp3 files that are playable in any directory. Had to create a second directory and transfer files 256+ to it in order to play them.
None of this sounds like a problem with the audio system; it sounds like a problem with your phone (or whatever device you're using). The car is only connecting to your device, and the device does all the work.
Old 10-26-13, 01:37 PM
azmojo
Instructor

I should have mentioned, the device is a standard USB stick in the car's USB port. The problem is not the USB stick, the problem is how the car handles the USB stick.
Old 10-28-13, 07:25 AM
sloosh
Driver

You know, the 255 (though I really think it's 256 - 2^8) limit is a bit of a joke and I don't understand why in today's world of computing that it would limit itself to an 80s system.
Old 10-28-13, 09:08 AM
azmojo
Instructor

I don't think it's about having an "80's" system. I think it's programming for the display, and the programmer didn't know how or wasn't able to have an infinite display capability so they picked a maximum limit or a maximum number of page scrolls. Unfortunate.
Old 10-28-13, 09:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,363 Posts

This sounds like an issue with the type of audio file you are using. Audiobook M4B format bookmarks where you left off, and MP3s do not.
Old 10-28-13, 09:19 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
This sounds like an issue with the type of audio file you are using. Audiobook M4B format bookmarks where you left off, and MP3s do not.
Well the files have a .mp3 extension and the audio book package says MP3. Additionally, it is inconsistent, where if it was as what you are suggesting it would NEVER pick up where I left off.
Old 10-28-13, 10:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Well the files have a .mp3 extension and the audio book package says MP3. Additionally, it is inconsistent, where if it was as what you are suggesting it would NEVER pick up where I left off.
No, an MP3 can still remember where you last left off as long as you don't change tracks and then turn off the car / disconnect power.

Example:

Listening to audiobook, turn off car with it playing. Turn it back on and it should remember where you left it.

Listen to audiobook, switch to another music track, turn off car. Turn it back on and go back to your audiobook and it won't be at the same location - back at the starting track.

Have had the same issues with audiobooks played on my Lexus through Vaistech/ipod and have started using M4B for that reason. May not react the same in your GS but I'd suggest trying the other format.
Old 10-28-13, 12:59 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No, an MP3 can still remember where you last left off as long as you don't change tracks and then turn off the car / disconnect power.

Example:

Listening to audiobook, turn off car with it playing. Turn it back on and it should remember where you left it.

Listen to audiobook, switch to another music track, turn off car. Turn it back on and go back to your audiobook and it won't be at the same location - back at the starting track.

Have had the same issues with audiobooks played on my Lexus through Vaistech/ipod and have started using M4B for that reason. May not react the same in your GS but I'd suggest trying the other format.
This is the whole point. I am listening to the book, turn off the car, and when I turn it on again there seems to be a 50/50 shot that it will resume where I left off. Otherwise is seems to start either back a few minutes or at the beginning of the track where I left off.

BTW, Don't know what M4B is, and I don't have a GS. This is the IS3 forum.
Old 10-28-13, 01:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Sorry, thought I read in the 4GS forum, but I'd give you the same suggestions though.

This can help you understand what the M4B audiobook format is that can hopefully solve your problem.
http://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/audi...wnload-formats
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileex.../f/m4bfile.htm
Old 10-28-13, 01:49 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

haven't tried, but sounds like if you change format from .mp3 to .m4b, that even after restart (powerDown then powerUp, the position should be maintained upon play continuation?)
Old 10-28-13, 11:30 PM
azmojo
Instructor

I guess I don't understand why I buy a CD audiobook, copy the mp3's to a USB drive and put them in and the car can't keep track of where I leave off. My last audiobook had 273 files that I don't fell I should have to convert or mess with.

Also tonight I was in the middle of a track, got a phone call, and the car reverted back to the beginning of the track after the end of the call!
Old 10-29-13, 12:41 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

what version of the navi do you have? 8500? 8400?
Old 10-29-13, 06:56 AM
azmojo
Instructor

8400. I know an update might help, but I won't be taking it in for 3 or 4 months when I get enough miles on the car.
Old 06-01-15, 09:44 AM
clarelg
Driver School Candidate

Default Tracking system for audiobooks

Generally when I turn the car on I am at the right spot in my book. HOWEVER, if I press the forward or back arrow keys on the lexus screen I am taken to the beginning and end of the book, NOT to the previous track meaning it is impossible to fast forward or rewind. I found out I can do this by having the ipod plugged in via plug rather than USB in which case I can manipulate the book directly on the ipod which means I have to go back to my old way of constantly glancing at the Ipod rather than the lexus screen. I wondered if it's because I have an older IPod, ipod classic? Or is it simply not possible to this right now?