IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Blacking out chrome with Plastidip

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 11:24 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacking out chrome with Plastidip

Has anyone done this to their front grill, or any part of the car?

If done on the grille, any pics? or DIY? thanks
Old 10-30-13, 06:13 AM
neilvosko
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1
we are all waiting n this
or a replacement emblem under 100 bux
Old 10-30-13, 07:14 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Has anyone done this to their front grill, or any part of the car?

If done on the grille, any pics? or DIY? thanks
several have done this with gloss black or matte black vinyl wrap. looks like factory!
why bother with plastidip?
Old 10-30-13, 09:34 AM
neilvosko
Pole Position

links ?
Diy?
Old 10-30-13, 10:41 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my car with the grill surround plasti-dipped:

Wasn't a fan, so went with gloss black vinyl instead:

My rear emblems are still plasti-dipped though:

For the vinyl work, I went to Impressive Wrap and they did a fine job! I know some other members have done the vinyl work themselves, but I can't remember who

To do the grill surround, you do have to remove your front bumper and disassemble the grill so that you can fully wrap the chrome. The bumper is fairly simple to remove, so the difficult part is just wrapping the odd shaped grill surround and not having any creasing.

Plasti-dip in my opinion doesn't look as good as the vinyl, as it has a rubbery finish. It's also quite messy and can get all over the place if you're not careful. Unless you do really thick layers of it, it's annoying and challenging to remove because it peels off a tiny little piece at a time (think string cheese-like).

Hope that helps!
Old 10-30-13, 11:59 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I prefer the matte look than gloss, simply because my car is white. It will look sportier.

Plasti dip is inexpensive compared to the others which will also require more work.

But if the matte/rubbery look isn't that grea I'm planning to just clear cost the plasti dip.
Old 10-30-13, 01:56 PM
Slimjimlim
Driver School Candidate

this weekend ill be doing mine! I'm gonna dip the chrome on the grill and around the windows! chrome be gone!!!!
Old 10-30-13, 03:07 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Awesome! I hope it will come out okay.

Anyone know if the lems front lips are in painted plastic?
Old 10-30-13, 03:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Wink DIY on emblems and grill

You probably just missed my thread but here's the DIY and more pics in my separate build thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...and-grill.html
Old 10-30-13, 07:58 PM
Alant514
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanna see how it turns out? Been wanting to black out the chrome from day 1. Debating if I should do plastic dip or vinyl wrap. Plastic dip is a lot cheaper, but if it turns out looking good, i'll just do that
Old 10-30-13, 10:24 PM
LexusB0y
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Here's my car with the grill surround plasti-dipped:

Wasn't a fan, so went with gloss black vinyl instead:

My rear emblems are still plasti-dipped though:

For the vinyl work, I went to Impressive Wrap and they did a fine job! I know some other members have done the vinyl work themselves, but I can't remember who

To do the grill surround, you do have to remove your front bumper and disassemble the grill so that you can fully wrap the chrome. The bumper is fairly simple to remove, so the difficult part is just wrapping the odd shaped grill surround and not having any creasing.

Plasti-dip in my opinion doesn't look as good as the vinyl, as it has a rubbery finish. It's also quite messy and can get all over the place if you're not careful. Unless you do really thick layers of it, it's annoying and challenging to remove because it peels off a tiny little piece at a time (think string cheese-like).

Hope that helps!
thats a dopeass bat mobile you got there
Old 10-30-13, 11:22 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
several have done this with gloss black or matte black vinyl wrap. looks like factory!
why bother with plastidip?
because its 10x cheaper and it isn't permanent...
Old 10-31-13, 09:42 AM
bfrd
Driver

Originally Posted by Infamous3
The vinyl is not permanent either. Even if you use a primer it will still come off. I did mine for about the same cost as a can of plasti-dip. As a bonus it is more durable. The dip isn't bad, just not quite as sturdy as the vinyl. I am not trying to be argumentative, just relaying my experiences. I dip'd the grill surround on my 2IS and chose not to go down that route again.
Old 10-31-13, 10:21 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusB0y
thats a dopeass bat mobile you got there
Thank you

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Originally Posted by bfrd
The vinyl is not permanent either. Even if you use a primer it will still come off. I did mine for about the same cost as a can of plasti-dip. As a bonus it is more durable. The dip isn't bad, just not quite as sturdy as the vinyl. I am not trying to be argumentative, just relaying my experiences. I dip'd the grill surround on my 2IS and chose not to go down that route again.
As bfrd mentioned, vinyl isn't permanent and it does seem to be more durable than the plasti-dip, though I do suppose it depends on the application in both cases.

My grill surround was plasti-dipped poorly and the coats were not applied evenly- this caused there to be some areas of thin layer, where the plasti-dip basically started to peel and reveal the chrome beneath. As I mentioned previously, when a thick coat isn't applied evenly, if you do try to remove the plasti-dip, it becomes a royal pain in the you know what because it peels off like string cheese, one thin little strip at a time

As for the vinyl, it also heavily depends on the application. If the grill isn't removed and properly wrapped, the edges may start to curl and peel off, again, revealing the chrome beneath. Also, the vinyl may tear if it's stretched too thin (quality of vinyl matters here too- I always go with 3M or Oracle), and if not applied properly it may crease, which doesn't look so great.

So both have their pros and cons-- i think it comes down to preference. Plasti-dip has a certain textured, almost rubber-like finish to it, whereas the vinyls you can get smooth, satin, matte, glossy, etc. finish.
Old 10-31-13, 02:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Thank you

As bfrd mentioned, vinyl isn't permanent and it does seem to be more durable than the plasti-dip, though I do suppose it depends on the application in both cases.

My grill surround was plasti-dipped poorly and the coats were not applied evenly- this caused there to be some areas of thin layer, where the plasti-dip basically started to peel and reveal the chrome beneath. As I mentioned previously, when a thick coat isn't applied evenly, if you do try to remove the plasti-dip, it becomes a royal pain in the you know what because it peels off like string cheese, one thin little strip at a time

As for the vinyl, it also heavily depends on the application. If the grill isn't removed and properly wrapped, the edges may start to curl and peel off, again, revealing the chrome beneath. Also, the vinyl may tear if it's stretched too thin (quality of vinyl matters here too- I always go with 3M or Oracle), and if not applied properly it may crease, which doesn't look so great.

So both have their pros and cons-- i think it comes down to preference. Plasti-dip has a certain textured, almost rubber-like finish to it, whereas the vinyls you can get smooth, satin, matte, glossy, etc. finish.

Agreed. I have experience with both vinyl and plastidip and my first choice for durability, look, feel, consistency will always be vinyl. However, when factoring in time, complexity of the job, and cost, doing the front grill and emblems with plastidip makes the most sense. However, my roof, and front air dams are wrapped in vinyl and I would never do that in plastidip.

Quick Reply: Blacking out chrome with Plastidip