IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus half-a$$ paint job under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 12:22 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you wanted a car with the level of detail such that unexposed chassis and crossmember parts are fully painted and finished even though they are unseen...you're in the wrong class of car. Its an IS, not an S Class.
LOL! What is the OP going to do, ride around with the hood up? Looks nice painted, but not a big deal.
Old 11-02-13, 12:50 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
LOL! What is the OP going to do, ride around with the hood up? Looks nice painted, but not a big deal.

Much ado about nothing.
Old 11-02-13, 12:59 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Much ado about nothing.
Dude, I originally thought it was in an accident. Glad to hear that it's "normal".
Old 11-02-13, 01:00 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

If you wanted a car with the level of detail such that unexposed chassis and crossmember parts are fully painted and finished even though they are unseen...you're in the wrong class of car. Its an IS, not an S Class.

Must be a Lexus thing. My previous cars weren't this way.
Old 11-02-13, 03:53 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had acura before and it was not like this. Doesn;t look like a thing to do on a luxury car. I would expect that on a toyota but not on this class. I also noticed they removed the sound insulation under the hood make it just like corolla and all the cheap consumer cars
Old 11-02-13, 03:59 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I had acura before and it was not like this. Doesn;t look like a thing to do on a luxury car. I would expect that on a toyota but not on this class. I also noticed they removed the sound insulation under the hood make it just like corolla and all the cheap consumer cars

Thanks for the input. Very informative!
Old 11-02-13, 04:35 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Agreed. Also, I think they removed the sound deadening material so that we can hear the "f-sport intake".

I'd rather hear the exhaust....
Old 11-02-13, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The bottom line is...its an entry level car. If you want more refinement and higher levels of finish...those things exist in the Lexus lineup and elsewhere...you gotta pay for it. Did you remove the plastic cladding in the engine bay of your Acura keyframe to inspect it? I have never removed such a trim piece on any car I've ever owned...so I have no idea if they've been painted or not.

EDIT- Saw a picture from an older thread in the 3GS forum, that crossmember underneath the plastic trim is the same way on the 3GS. No idea about the 4GS. Doesn't bother me.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-02-13 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 05:48 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

The bottom line is...its an entry level car. If you want more refinement and higher levels of finish...those things exist in the Lexus lineup and elsewhere...you gotta pay for it. Did you remove the plastic cladding in the engine bay of your Acura keyframe to inspect it? I have never removed such a trim piece on any car I've ever owned...so I have no idea if they've been painted or not.

EDIT- Saw a picture from an older thread in the 3GS forum, that crossmember underneath the plastic trim is the same way on the 3GS. No idea about the 4GS. Doesn't bother me.

The entire bay of my G coupe was painted black. Every nook and cranny. Even the part covered in plastic and the other part covered in some type of fiber material.

It's not just the crossmember that is covered by the plastic. But the uncovered part is also unpainted. Which is how I spotted this in the first place.

Basically the entire front end isn't color matched.
Old 11-02-13, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds to me like you definitely should have kept your G Coupe.
Old 11-02-13, 06:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 292 Likes on 211 Posts

Got these pics while I was changing my HID bulbs to the 6000K. Here's how it looks like against USB and Lexus did a fine job of being consistent and symmetrical! I kind of like the blue, gray, and black colors in the engine bay actually!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus half-a$$ paint job under the hood-light1.jpg   Lexus half-a$$ paint job under the hood-light2.jpg  
Old 11-02-13, 06:50 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

My mom's 3 series doesn't have the inside of the trunk OR hood/engine bay painted silver to match the body.
Old 11-03-13, 06:23 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

The bottom line is...its an entry level car. If you want more refinement and higher levels of finish...those things exist in the Lexus lineup and elsewhere...you gotta pay for it. .
I don;t think so. The second generation was treated as a Lexus not as a Toyota. An entry level Lexus needs to still be a premium car and have attention to details you don;t find in a civic or corolla.
This is what I think was a great attention to details and a true Lexus and was only a generation behind. Why degrading and thinking that is ok?!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus half-a$$ paint job under the hood-34115896466.357657398.im1.34.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  
Old 11-03-13, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don;t think so. The second generation was treated as a Lexus not as a Toyota. An entry level Lexus needs to still be a premium car and have attention to details you don;t find in a civic or corolla.
This is what I think was a great attention to details and a true Lexus and was only a generation behind. Why degrading and thinking that is ok?!
It certainly is still a premium car, all you have to do is go sit in an ordinary Toyota and the difference is plainly obvious, even with the IS and ES. To say the IS is "just a Toyota" because it doesn't have some thin plastic covers over the engine bay is preposterous. Just drive the car...it runs circles around a 2IS whether it has silly plastic covers or not.

I personally like the under hood covers as you do, my 2010 ES had them, my 2013 GS has a few but is not as covered as the IS you picture there or my previous ES.

BUT...my 2003 ES did not have covers, nor did my Dad's 98 LS. If you ask me if I would have rather had all the interior quality of my 2003 ES or the engine covers in my 2010 ES...I'll choose the interior quality. My point is, Lexus has not always had these covers, they are a relatively new thing. Look at a BMW engine bay...no covers. Mercedes engine bay? No covers. Audi? No covers.

Deleting the covers saves cost and weight, and it makes them easier to work on. Weight is a killer to performance and to fuel economy. Cost is always going to be a factor when packing the improvements they put into the 2014 IS while trying to hold the line on cost. Lighter high tensile steel or aluminum hood and trunk lids may not feel as "solid" but they are far lighter which helps performance and fuel economy. You might be surprised to know these lighter doors are MORE EXPENSIVE than heavier doors, its technology at work.

I lament the cost cutting too, but to me the engine covers and whether cross members you can't see are painted are entirely superfluous things. There are legitimate items to complain about with this car, the lack of power options in the F-Sport, some of the interior material choices. But this discussion is just silly IMHO.

At the end of the day...endless complaining gets you nowhere. If you don't like the car...buy another car. There are lots of great cars out there. If you're more worried about plastic covers than the car's performance and handling, this isn't the right car for you anyways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-03-13 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-03-13, 08:29 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Sounds to me like you definitely should have kept your G Coupe.
+1

Not too late to trade your IS for one. Why keep something you don't like?

Quick Reply: Lexus half-a$$ paint job under the hood