IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus half-a$$ paint job under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13, 08:32 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It certainly is still a premium car, all you have to do is go sit in an ordinary Toyota and the difference is plainly obvious, even with the IS and ES. To say the IS is "just a Toyota" because it doesn't have some thin plastic covers over the engine bay is preposterous. Just drive the car...it runs circles around a 2IS whether it has silly plastic covers or not.

I personally like the under hood covers as you do, my 2010 ES had them, my 2013 GS has a few but is not as covered as the IS you picture there or my previous ES.

BUT...my 2003 ES did not have covers, nor did my Dad's 98 LS. If you ask me if I would have rather had all the interior quality of my 2003 ES or the engine covers in my 2010 ES...I'll choose the interior quality. My point is, Lexus has not always had these covers, they are a relatively new thing. Look at a BMW engine bay...no covers. Mercedes engine bay? No covers. Audi? No covers.

Deleting the covers saves cost and weight, and it makes them easier to work on. Weight is a killer to performance and to fuel economy. Cost is always going to be a factor when packing the improvements they put into the 2014 IS while trying to hold the line on cost. Lighter high tensile steel or aluminum hood and trunk lids may not feel as "solid" but they are far lighter which helps performance and fuel economy. You might be surprised to know these lighter doors are MORE EXPENSIVE than heavier doors, its technology at work.

I lament the cost cutting too, but to me the engine covers and whether cross members you can't see are painted are entirely superfluous things. There are legitimate items to complain about with this car, the lack of power options in the F-Sport, some of the interior material choices. But this discussion is just silly IMHO.

At the end of the day...endless complaining gets you nowhere. If you don't like the car...buy another car. There are lots of great cars out there. If you're more worried about plastic covers than the car's performance and handling, this isn't the right car for you anyways.
Yes I agree with you: "There are legitimate items to complain about....but this discussion is just silly..."

To be sure, this forum should air everyone's opinions and concens about the 3IS, both positive and negative. Yet often folks are just being negative repeatedly to the point of absudity. Sometimes, it seems as if some posters are just looking to get satisfaction from successfully baiting members who have positive views of the car. Once the bait is taken, pointless arguments then go on and on and on....
Old 11-03-13, 09:01 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm probably alone on this but Im one for less covers. I like to see what's going on in there without having to take panels off.
Old 11-03-13, 09:04 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Was looking under the hood today and noticed that part of the car is unpainted. Some part is black, the other part is untouched! My car is black.

Un-freaking believable.

Was my car in an accident previously? This could explain why I got the non-fsport steering wheel originally?

Can someone post pics of their car under the hood? Just remove the front plastic piece. Thanks

Over-spray?

Looks like I got a White Car here. Notice the over-spray on the right side?

Awesome blending job
They all come like this. This why you have cover that cover over that stuff. all new cars with engine covers come this way.
Old 11-03-13, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I'm probably alone on this but Im one for less covers. I like to see what's going on in there without having to take panels off.
I remember when they started coming with those covers and people complaining, taking them off and leaving them off. You can't win LOL
Old 11-03-13, 10:50 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It certainly is still a premium car, all you have to do is go sit in an ordinary Toyota and the difference is plainly obvious, even with the IS and ES. To say the IS is "just a Toyota" because it doesn't have some thin plastic covers over the engine bay is preposterous. Just drive the car...it runs circles around a 2IS whether it has silly plastic covers or not.

I personally like the under hood covers as you do, my 2010 ES had them, my 2013 GS has a few but is not as covered as the IS you picture there or my previous ES.

BUT...my 2003 ES did not have covers, nor did my Dad's 98 LS. If you ask me if I would have rather had all the interior quality of my 2003 ES or the engine covers in my 2010 ES...I'll choose the interior quality. My point is, Lexus has not always had these covers, they are a relatively new thing. Look at a BMW engine bay...no covers. Mercedes engine bay? No covers. Audi? No covers.

Deleting the covers saves cost and weight, and it makes them easier to work on. Weight is a killer to performance and to fuel economy. Cost is always going to be a factor when packing the improvements they put into the 2014 IS while trying to hold the line on cost. Lighter high tensile steel or aluminum hood and trunk lids may not feel as "solid" but they are far lighter which helps performance and fuel economy. You might be surprised to know these lighter doors are MORE EXPENSIVE than heavier doors, its technology at work.

I lament the cost cutting too, but to me the engine covers and whether cross members you can't see are painted are entirely superfluous things. There are legitimate items to complain about with this car, the lack of power options in the F-Sport, some of the interior material choices. But this discussion is just silly IMHO.

At the end of the day...endless complaining gets you nowhere. If you don't like the car...buy another car. There are lots of great cars out there. If you're more worried about plastic covers than the car's performance and handling, this isn't the right car for you anyways.
Sorry if I don;t buy all this "removing the luxury features, and painted it like a cheap economy car to save weight , cost and fuel economy bs... The 3IS is not cheaper than the older one, is not faster, is not more fuel efficient and it not lighter either. I just disagree and giving the "buy another car" have nothing to do with the topic of discussion. It's childish. but that my 2 cents others might not care while others might find a big thing for a luxury to be build like this when the second generation had them.
Old 11-03-13, 11:01 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Well said.
Old 11-03-13, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Sorry if I don;t buy all this "removing the luxury features, and painted it like a cheap economy car to save weight , cost and fuel economy bs... The 3IS is not cheaper than the older one, is not faster, is not more fuel efficient and it not lighter either. I just disagree and giving the "buy another car" have nothing to do with the topic of discussion. It's childish. but that my 2 cents others might not care while others might find a big thing for a luxury to be build like this when the second generation had them.
As we have established Lexus has always had their vehicles painted the same way in that same hidden location, its the same way on your 2IS, so thats not a change. What we are talking about from your perspective is purely these plastic covers in the engine compartment...which until 2007 or so were never even used by Lexus. It may not be faster, but it is a much better handling and driving car as is proven by the many reviews that have said so, it has more technology, its larger. Its all around a better car than its predecessor. The 3IS is larger, yet 100lbs lighter than the 2IS per Edmunds, how do you figure that was achieved?

Everybody certainly has the right to express their viewpoints, but when you start to see a couple of members that all they do is post negative stuff about the car, much of it off the wall as this is, it ceases to be positive and starts to become trolling. Next you're going to be tearing out the carpeting and telling us that the cross members under the floor aren't painted either.

If you prefer your 2IS...there is a very active 2IS forum. You don't have 3IS owners in there trolling around.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-03-13 at 11:41 AM.