IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My baby breath better now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 04:25 PM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Let us know how it sounds and butt dyno after the ECU adjusts =)
Old 11-07-13, 09:07 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by js1011
You sir are probably tough to deal with in person - right? It's okay if you are socially crippled. We will guide you along little one.
lol actually i am a very nice person in person. i meet with a lot of people every day in my business, they trust me with a lot of things and rely on my advice. i am very easy going and level headed. i guess what frustrates people here is i always speak my mind and i always speak the truth. sometimes people don't like to hear it!

i just get frustrated, i had been on this forum about 4 years ago and was frustrated then as well with the over abundance of people who know nothing about cars, spend all their time and money doing things to them just to get attention.

when i left here it was because i sold my lexus and bought a corvette. finally got into a car forum where the money and the cost of the car seems to attract a more mature crowd. people in that crowd talk about things like how how to put a cam in and make 100 hp (which is very easy to do with a vette).

you don't see any of them put gigantic rims on their cars, intakes that do nothing but make noise, and destroy a perfectly good suspension to make their car look like someone squished the car like a bug!
instead they spend their money on go fast parts that really make a difference.

oh different subject..
the guy who mentioned about the ECU learning the new intake installed, i got bad news for ya, the ecu won't learn anything new especially under wide open throttle since the engine is running in open loop mode and it's A/F ratio is read from a table.

the 1 thing people who buy intakes for performance gains miss some very factual info about intakes. suppose you have an intake that is larger in diameter, it won't do anything for you in terms of additional air intake for 2 simple reasons..

1. the diameter where the Mass Air Flow sensor has to be the exact same size as the stock intake. because it's measuring the air passing through that section, its calibrated with known factors such as the diameter of the pipe itself, with that and knowing the speed of the air can give pretty exat amount of airflow data and sending that info to the ECU to tell it how much fuel to add based on the A/F table programmed at the factory.
if the pipe were larger then more air would be passing through that section than the MAF was calibrated to read. in other words air that was not accounted for is passing by the sensor. thereby making the air volume greater than was read and leaning out the A/f ratio. the ech doesn't know the difference, it thinks the airflow is the same but in reality the air volume is greater than was read.
This will actually damage the engine from running too lean under WOT.. because the ECU runs in open loop it does not pay any attention to the A/F ratio that would normally be read by the o2 sensor in closed loop mode.

2. even if your trying to move more air, it eventually goes through the same throttle body and the same intake manifold. the only restriction your going to improve upon is the Air filter itself. and you will only see that under wide open throttle and at near redline when air volume is at it's max. so unless you drive in that zone all the time, the butt dyno is nothing more than a placebo effect because you hear the intake and you think the car is faster than it really is.

in this case it's hotter air which is less dense and makes less power.

just as an example of how detrimental hot air is to an engine as for power, ill share this little factoid..
i fly airplanes for pleasure. all piston driven aircraft use a mixture control to manually adjust the fuel to air ratio. because the planes fly at many different altitudes this had to be adjusted to maintain max power and or efficiency. all of the carburetor equipped airplanes have what's called carb heat. it's used to defrost the carb if you like when the air is cold enough and has moisture present it can ice up the carb. normal start up procedures require that you verify carb heat is working prior to take off..
applying carb heat directs air over the manifold and into the carb thereby heating the air going in. Thawing ice which can be very important if you want to keep the engine running)
when carb heat is applied the engine rpm drops by as much as 50 rpm (with is a lot for an airplane)
also if the mixture is set a little too rich can also cause the airplane to misfire and sputter because the difference in temperature makes the air so much less dense that an overly rich mixture will get way too rich, it can foul plugs and is wasteful for fuel.
hot intake air affects all of the above in this way and none of it in a good way.
fortunately, all modern day FI system also incorporate an air intake sensor, because density of the air is easily calculated based on air temperature. so the hot air intake mentioned here will make significantly less power than the cold counterpart.

the good news is that the companies who make these parts will continue to do so as long as it is profitable and there are enough people to buy those parts who are still in dream land that they actually make power.
i guess i can't blame them, if i could make millions by buying some aluminum tube stock, a mandrel bender and a filter cone, polish it up to make it look pretty. put a sticker on it and sell it for 400 bucks with less than 10 dollars worth of parts. i guess i might sell them also. we all know there is a sucker born every minute!
hell at least 1/2 of the country fell for Obama care, thinking it would be an affordable plan. if you have spent any time reading about the rules and regulations regarding that it becomes painfully obvious it was just another way to get more of our hard earned money into the hands of the government.
i could go on, but you get the point, there is something to be said for good advertising and if you like wasting your money on junk, who am i to stop ya?
to each their own..
let the flames begin! ha ha lol
Old 11-07-13, 09:42 PM
zedryan8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why can't we all just get along LOL
Old 11-08-13, 05:37 AM
sloosh
Driver

Originally Posted by js1011
You sir are probably tough to deal with in person - right? It's okay if you are socially crippled. We will guide you along little one.
He makes a valid point and that makes him socially crippled? Right....

When you think of someone adding a "performance" mod that actually decreases your power and instead just changes the sound the car makes, what do you think of, honestly? I think of a teenager ricing out a car. To each his own, but why the hell would you do that in a car that could stand to gain about 50+ HP? I came to this forum in hopes of finding out how to squeeze more power out and resolve issues but I find that this one particularly (3IS) seems to be loaded with young adults with the mindset of teenagers. In order to find out about true performance mods I've got to go to the 2IS forums.
Old 11-08-13, 07:02 AM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're frustrated, go for a run or a coke and a smile..IS's are not Vette's, so why would you expect a similar mindset in both communities?
(by the way, what do you think of the new Vette?)

I don't think this is about racing, so "sacrificing" a few ponies, is worth it to some people for the sound of a (yes, hot) intake, that sounds much better than the sound generator..

Yes , its a forum for people to post thier opinions, agree or disagree, but dang :roll eyes:
Old 11-08-13, 07:30 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by waynetech2
If you're frustrated, go for a run or a coke and a smile..IS's are not Vette's, so why would you expect a similar mindset in both communities?
(by the way, what do you think of the new Vette?)

I don't think this is about racing, so "sacrificing" a few ponies, is worth it to some people for the sound of a (yes, hot) intake, that sounds much better than the sound generator..

Yes , its a forum for people to post thier opinions, agree or disagree, but dang :roll eyes:
i think the new Vette is Awesome! but I've had 2 C6 Z06 corvettes and they are very cool, but dated. i had toyed with the idea of getting a new stingray but i never pay full MSRP my last vette was a 2012 centennial edition, very rare car. they only made 194 of them total!
MSRP was $90,265 i paid $75,795 that's almost 15 grand off sticker. to be honest i think Vettes are very cool cars, but not 90k cool lets face it, it's a CAR!
my daily commute is 3 miles and i never get over 45 mph for 1/2 the trip and 35 Mph for the second mile and a half.
its not a very practical car, fun yes! but I'm sick of worrying about where to park it, worried someone might scratch it, worried some teenager with a loud intake who is texting might run into me. being such an expensive and in my case RARE car i felt i needed to come back to lexus.

now that i am back, i am again reminded of why i didn't miss this place much.

i was never expecting the same mind set in both communities, clearly the amount one can afford to pay for a car usually makes the cars over about 60k out of reach for the teenagers and young adults found here.
but to your point, making your sound like something it was never intended to to me is silly. it reminds me of the days when i was a kid and we used to put playing cards in the spokes of our bicycles to pretend we had a chopper!
i guess my frustration lies with this thought, i would really hope that the people like myself who bought a luxury performance car (and not a cheap one i might add) would be of the maturity level that they can appreciate what a very cool car Lexus engineering team came up with. now i do plan to change out the wheels to make it unique and to get a wider tire, i plan to delete the chrome because i don't like it. but that's pretty much it!
my frustration lies with the fact that people who rice these cars create an image of the IS that ruins the luxury segment in the eyes of everyone else when they think of a lexus.

if you want to rice your car, buy a civic! you'll have a lot more money left over for all the fart pipes, stickers and turbo's and all of the other kids driving civics will really think your the cat's meow!
that type of car suits that personality and maturity level.

this community seems to have a lot of smart well educated people in it, more so by a mile than the civic forums, maybe the moderators can create a ricer section called "the sand box" where the kids can play together and talk about how to make your car look and sound like it's worthy of the next release of the fast and furious.
Old 11-08-13, 09:04 AM
enoren
Pole Position

I'm with you 100% Bass Mech. You're not alone.
Old 11-08-13, 10:16 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same, I'm with you Bass Mech. I'm surprised how many 20-somethings there are in here who obviously don't know a ton about cars, but somehow they've got enough cash to afford a $40k+ vehicle. Such is life.