IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front License Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 05:05 AM
bfrd
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front License Bracket

Does anyone have a good picture of the front license plate bracket installed on an F Sport. It would be great if it didn't have the plate on it yet, but beggars can't be choosers.

I am debating on whether or not I want to do this. Texas recently "fixed" their screw-up in the law which means they can fine people for not having a front plate. I hate the idea of drilling holes in the bumper, but my zip tie method is not working out as well as I had hoped. I was going to wait until I got a ticket before doing something, but it seems silly to throw away $200.

TIA
Old 11-18-13, 05:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

in the putnam lexus thread people said the holes drilled into the F Sport are actually hard to see. So you could drill the holes and take the plate on or off whenever you want without the holes being so obvious
Old 11-18-13, 06:20 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Or do this with a Grimmspeed
Attached Thumbnails Front License Bracket-305280d1384668691-official-usdm-2014-is350-f-sport-w-jdm-led-fog-lamps-installed-pics-and-video-.jpg  
Old 11-18-13, 06:39 AM
bfrd
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a problem with symmetry. I can't handle it not being centered.
Old 11-18-13, 06:45 AM
sloosh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother-in-law has this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Altec-Retractable-Front-License-Plate-Mount-400U-/271276226599?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2952b827&vxp=mtr#ht_1327wt_874
Old 11-18-13, 09:09 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

I found out there are plugs lexus offers to cover the holes. The dealer sells for about $25. Looks pretty clean I hear.
Old 11-18-13, 09:35 AM
choyt
Driver School Candidate

So far I'm thinking that I'll risk the ticket. I was pulled over 3yrs ago for no front plate, paid the $25 and never attached it again (not to be rebellious, just didn't get around to actually doing it.) I haven't had any issues since then - even with two traffic stops during that time.

Rumor here (in TX) is that if you have the plate in the trunk, you can tell the officer that it 'fell off' and as a result they're letting people go without even a warning. Perception is that it's primarily used as an excuse to pull you over and try to nab ya' for other things.

I'd put it on... but it really does screw up the front of the IS. Damned shame.
Old 11-18-13, 10:56 AM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlude
I found out there are plugs lexus offers to cover the holes. The dealer sells for about $25. Looks pretty clean I hear.
Are you talking about these in the bottom pic.

My dealer sent me these before and after pics of my car. I didn't like the way it looked in the pic so I told him the deal wasn't going to happen. So then they swapped the bumper out for me. When i got to the dealership and saw the plugs, it looked darn near perfect. Almost like it was intended to be there by the factory, so the customer can mount the plate later on.

To be 100% honest If they hadn't offered me the alternative to swap the bumper I would have bought the car like that and been 100% happy.
Attached Thumbnails Front License Bracket-photo-1.jpg   Front License Bracket-photo-2.jpg  
Old 11-18-13, 11:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

can barely see the holes
Old 11-18-13, 03:38 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
can barely see the holes
I can see them pretty well.

I mean, it's a different shade of black, and a circular component on a diamond wall.
Plus that's a bad angle to take the shot at, show us the front if possible.

Mine came undrilled like I told them to. Not having it any other way.
If I leased it, it would be a different story.
Old 11-18-13, 04:15 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by waxy
Plus that's a bad angle to take the shot at, show us the front if possible..
No possible, they swapped the bumper out. Like i said when i saw the old bumper, I could hardly notice it.
Old 11-18-13, 04:33 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
No possible, they swapped the bumper out. Like i said when i saw the old bumper, I could hardly notice it.
Good call, don't accept the car until you inspect every inch of it.

Check underneath it too, because I heard stories about bags or debris being stuck underneath the car.
Old 11-18-13, 04:44 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrd
I have a problem with symmetry. I can't handle it not being centered.
Agreed
Old 11-18-13, 08:29 PM
SLiCkFX
10th Gear

Just like everyone here, I couldn't stand drilling holes, having the ugly front license plate or the toe hook bracket, so I put it behind the grille. Yes, I may likely still get a ticket, but I figure my chances are better than not having one and I can deal with the looks.

From certain angles, the numbers are clear as day and you won't notice it's behind the grille. Especially at night, since it's reflective. If you are about 4 feet or closer, you won't be able to see it. So keep your distance if you're behind a cop
Attached Thumbnails Front License Bracket-1.jpg   Front License Bracket-2.jpg  

Last edited by SLiCkFX; 11-18-13 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 10:50 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLiCkFX
Just like everyone here, I couldn't stand drilling holes, having the ugly front license plate or the toe hook bracket, so I put it behind the grille. Yes, I may likely still get a ticket, but I figure my chances are better than not having one and I can deal with the looks.

From certain angles, the numbers are clear as day and you won't notice it's behind the grille. Especially at night, since it's reflective. If you are about 4 feet or closer, you won't be able to see it. So keep your distance if your behind a cop
HAHA this is amazing!

Quick Reply: Front License Bracket