IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

remote touch to be replaced by touchpad

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 06:55 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Cars made horses obsolete. Planes made wagon trains obsolete. The internet made newspapers obsolete. A new tracking pad does not make a 2014 IS obsolete. Boy, these companies love people who live in a constant state of desire for more and better. And it seems to take so little to trigger upgraditis. A new tracking pad.
Old 11-22-13, 06:57 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, i wonder what it will cost to move into one of these after only a year into my lease (or less). According to the dealer with my lease options nothing (when i asked if i wanted to move into a different Lexus before lease was up), but I know it'll cost something haha.
Old 11-22-13, 07:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldnt get a new lease just because of a mousepad update. The engine power is barely even going up on 2015 350s (+8hp +3 trq)
Old 11-22-13, 07:47 AM
redcupr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
I like the mouse better, I have the magic trackpad from Apple and hate using it. Plus if you use the center too much it might wear out overtime and start to fade, doesn't seem to be made of glass.

Edit: I like the current position of the mouse as it's a nice spot for me to rest my hand sometimes. I do feel that the mode selection is better placed in the new model, but you actually don't need to see it. All you need to be able to do is grab it and rotate left or right, or push down. At first I didn't like having to reach back for the ****, but now I'm use to it.
I agree, the center of the mouse pad is going to get shiny and show wear. My parents have 2014 BMW 5-series and it has a similar type of pad. It'definitely very smooth for moving around the screen, but it takes a little more attention than the mouse in the 2014 IS.

The position of the pad/buttons in the RC don't seem to fall into your reach as well as the position of the mouse in the 2014 IS. When I adjust the Sport **** in my IS it's a bit uncomfortable, not a position where you;d just rest your hand.
Old 11-22-13, 07:47 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Glashub
Cars made horses obsolete. Planes made wagon trains obsolete. The internet made newspapers obsolete. A new tracking pad does not make a 2014 IS obsolete. Boy, these companies love people who live in a constant state of desire for more and better. And it seems to take so little to trigger upgraditis. A new tracking pad.
hahaha. i know, i fall victim to upgraditis sometimes.
Old 11-22-13, 07:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I like the current setup, but mostly because we also have an RX so, with it being basically the same in both cars, it makes it very easy to transition from one to the other. I do admit, however, that it takes some getting used to.
Old 11-22-13, 08:06 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeball
hahaha. i know, i fall victim to upgraditis sometimes.
Me too. I have to ask myself -- what's really go on with me? What feelings am I trying to fix? One thing I've learned is that a new anything will only make me feel good for a short period of time.
Old 11-22-13, 08:21 AM
abcsoup
Driver

While I thought it would take a while for me to get used to the current mouse controller when I first got the car, it ended up being much easier than I thought. The mouse's movements are absolutely positioned, so if I wanted to get to the top/bottom/corners quickly, I can just yank it to the edge of its pad range. Also, the mouse has haptic feedback, which is great.

For the touchpad, which is relatively positioned, I don't know how easy/quick it will be to maneuver, especially when driving and taking your eyes off the road. It will definitely be more precise, but if there are only a few buttons on the screen, not much precision is really necessary. I wish they would combine the two (kind of like BMW's new touch iDrive) to get the best of both worlds. I would love to scroll around the map with the touchpad and 'write' addresses into the nav with it, but I don't know if selecting on-screen interface elements would be easy. Maybe Lexus will add in some haptic feedback to the system.

Anyways, just some thoughts. I'm eager to try it!
Old 11-22-13, 08:27 AM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the RC F Sport has not been shown yet, this is a regular
Oh then it would appear they're adding the sport + option to regular models then unless they already come on regular models? I thought they only came on F sport though.
Old 11-22-13, 09:04 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Mouse works fine for me. I actually don't like the touch pad.
Old 11-22-13, 09:05 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
This is why I lease.
Lol, exactly how I feel
Old 11-22-13, 10:43 AM
neilvosko
Pole Position

same here, i like the mouse.....we are in age of wayyyy tooo many new things and changes, let us learn and enjoy what we have.....
Old 11-22-13, 10:43 AM
neilvosko
Pole Position

BTW.....coming from BMW iDrive
Old 11-22-13, 10:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

kinda funny we had all these different interfaces for cars and it just arrives at the same thing we had all the time on laptops
Old 11-22-13, 11:10 AM
Oxytocin
Driver

The current mouse controller is very easy to use, a lot of the video reviews hate it because the reviewersonly use it for a couple minutes, but after a few days they'd see how easy it is. As others pointed out, the tactile feedback makes it simple to move from one button to another without needing to look at the screen constantly. With the touch pad you can easily over swipe and miss the option you want unless you are concentrating on the screen. The only thing I would add to the controller is a physical back button like the non nav ones.

Lexus explains the reason behind the controller is so they could raise the screen to a higher eye level for the drive so he/she doesn't to take his/her eyes off the road for too long. There would also be less strain on your neck as you only need to glance over to the screen instead of looking down. If Lexus made it a touch screen at the current height one would have to raise one's hands higher than the 2IS, which would cause strain. For me, this system is the best Lexus thought up.

Lexus is probably changing it to a touch pad because of all the negative reviews from people who never used it long term.

Quick Reply: remote touch to be replaced by touchpad