IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need some help with tire/wheel tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 09:55 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help with tire/wheel tools

Since I'm going with the RWD, I'll be doing my own swapping summer and winter wheels. From the quick research I've done it sounds like factory spec is 76 ft/lbs torque and 21mm lug nuts. Since I've not done this before I need some tools to help with the chore. I'm thinking:

- Air Compressor (Is this any good and provide enough air?
California Air Tools CAT-6310 Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 1.0 Hp 6.3-Gallon Steel Tank Air Compressor - Amazon.com California Air Tools CAT-6310 Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 1.0 Hp 6.3-Gallon Steel Tank Air Compressor - Amazon.com
)

- Air Impact Wrench (Is this any good?
Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air Impact Wrench - Amazon.com Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air Impact Wrench - Amazon.com
)

- Jack and Stands (Is this any good?
OTC 1533 Aluminum Racing Jack Kit with 2-Ton Jack and Stands, 80th Anniversary Edition : Amazon.com : Automotive OTC 1533 Aluminum Racing Jack Kit with 2-Ton Jack and Stands, 80th Anniversary Edition : Amazon.com : Automotive
)

- 21mm socket (Is this the correct size for 3IS lug nuts?
Ingersoll Rand SK4C3F 1/2-Inch Drive 3-Piece Lugnut Service Flip Impact Socket Set - Amazon.com Ingersoll Rand SK4C3F 1/2-Inch Drive 3-Piece Lugnut Service Flip Impact Socket Set - Amazon.com
)

Last edited by SonyHome; 11-28-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-28-13, 10:55 AM
semoquer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DUDEEE that is overkill! Run down to harbor freight and buy a 2.5ton low profile jack. Buy the extended warranty for it. Also buy jack stands there.

Buy a Dewalt cordless impact wrench (300ft lb torque). That amount of torque is more than enough for taking off wheels.

Putting the wheels back on with a impact wrench is not ideal. I would go to lowes and buy a Kobalt 1/2inch torque wrench. This way you can set it to exactly 76lb ft torque.

This advice is for the average home DIY. You can buy an air compressor and all of that but I wouldn't buy a 6 gallon tank. My friends garage has a 60 gallon tank and I still don't think that's enough sometimes.

Ingersoll Rand also makes a cordless impact wrench which is much better than the Dewalt. However, I don't think all that extra torque is useful for you. The IR wrench is also about twice the cost as Dewalt.
Old 11-28-13, 10:59 AM
semoquer
Rookie

This is my impact wrench with the Ingersoll Rand wheel impact sockets.
Attached Thumbnails Need some help with tire/wheel tools-img_20131128_135628_112.jpg  
Old 11-28-13, 11:23 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

agree with the above post ^^
while i have an air compressor and all the air tools i could easily get by with a cordless impact driver such as that.
with a jack and some stands from sears your all set to swap out wheels.
i can swap my truck rims from summer to winter in about 15 minutes.

so unless you have a need for more air tools there is no need to go all out on a compressor.

but if you must get one with a cast iron pump with a piston and crank. the cheap oilless compressors are inefficient and need to run constantly to keep up with even small air tools.
i found a screaming deal on a twin piston compressor at my local lowes home improvement center on sale with a 35 gallon tank. i think i paid 400 bucks for it.
but it can keep up with just about anything i hook it to.

i found you a link
Powermate PLA1683066 30-Gallon Portable Twin Cylinder Cast Iron Air Compressor - Amazon.com Powermate PLA1683066 30-Gallon Portable Twin Cylinder Cast Iron Air Compressor - Amazon.com
this is nearly identical to mine!
Old 11-28-13, 12:06 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by semoquer
DUDEEE that is overkill! Run down to harbor freight and buy a 2.5ton low profile jack. Buy the extended warranty for it. Also buy jack stands there.

Buy a Dewalt cordless impact wrench (300ft lb torque). That amount of torque is more than enough for taking off wheels.

Putting the wheels back on with a impact wrench is not ideal. I would go to lowes and buy a Kobalt 1/2inch torque wrench. This way you can set it to exactly 76lb ft torque.

This advice is for the average home DIY. You can buy an air compressor and all of that but I wouldn't buy a 6 gallon tank. My friends garage has a 60 gallon tank and I still don't think that's enough sometimes.

Ingersoll Rand also makes a cordless impact wrench which is much better than the Dewalt. However, I don't think all that extra torque is useful for you. The IR wrench is also about twice the cost as Dewalt.
Thanks for your input. I was thinking I could use these for other things as well but I do appreciate your suggested options. I'll take a look to see if that would be an option for me.

Are there any cordless impact wrench that is able to set torgue being applied? Also is there something wrong with the low profile jack and stand that I listed from Amazon? That will be on black friday sale so I was thinking of picking that up.
Old 11-28-13, 12:08 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
agree with the above post ^^
while i have an air compressor and all the air tools i could easily get by with a cordless impact driver such as that.
with a jack and some stands from sears your all set to swap out wheels.
i can swap my truck rims from summer to winter in about 15 minutes.

so unless you have a need for more air tools there is no need to go all out on a compressor.

but if you must get one with a cast iron pump with a piston and crank. the cheap oilless compressors are inefficient and need to run constantly to keep up with even small air tools.
i found a screaming deal on a twin piston compressor at my local lowes home improvement center on sale with a 35 gallon tank. i think i paid 400 bucks for it.
but it can keep up with just about anything i hook it to.

i found you a link Powermate PLA1683066 30-Gallon Portable Twin Cylinder Cast Iron Air Compressor - Amazon.com
this is nearly identical to mine!
Thanks Kevin! If I could do my wheel swaps < 15min that would be ideal!
Old 11-28-13, 12:16 PM
semoquer
Rookie

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Thanks for your input. I was thinking I could use these for other things as well but I do appreciate your suggested options. I'll take a look to see if that would be an option for me.

Are there any cordless impact wrench that is able to set torgue being applied? Also is there something wrong with the low profile jack and stand that I listed from Amazon? That will be on black friday sale so I was thinking of picking that up.
There are cordless impacts that you can set torque values. However, I do not trust them. A torque wrench is the best tool if you are OCD about tires/wheels.

There is nothing wrong with the jack you listed. However, aluminum jacks have been known to bend at the base. This is not good for longterm use. They are really great for track days because of their lightness.

I bought a harbor freight 2.5ton low profile steel jack for 80 bucks. This was 3 years ago. The thing has not slacked at all. Even if it does, just buy another one! lol.

I know harbor freight tools suck, but honestly jack failures are never abrupt. They tend to lose hydraulic pressure and drop the car slowly. NEVER use a jack alone to support the car while you're under it. I don't care how much that jack costs; they can still fail.

If you're gonna go with a more expensive jack. Please buy steel if you don't plan on transporting the jack.
Old 11-28-13, 12:21 PM
semoquer
Rookie

ALSO. While you're researching, you're gonna come upon Torque Sticks. These sticks are never gonna be as accurate as a torque wrench. You can buy Torque sticks and use the lowest one (60ft lbs) to tighten with your impact. then set it to the correct torque value with a dedicated torque wrench.

I just had a chuckle moment because 5 years ago all I had was a jack, two jack stands, a torque wrench, and a breaker bar. This was all I need to change out wheels.

Air tools, cordless tools, torque sticks are for the lazy people. However, they do save you from a sore back.
Old 11-28-13, 12:56 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by semoquer
ALSO. While you're researching, you're gonna come upon Torque Sticks. These sticks are never gonna be as accurate as a torque wrench. You can buy Torque sticks and use the lowest one (60ft lbs) to tighten with your impact. then set it to the correct torque value with a dedicated torque wrench.

I just had a chuckle moment because 5 years ago all I had was a jack, two jack stands, a torque wrench, and a breaker bar. This was all I need to change out wheels.

Air tools, cordless tools, torque sticks are for the lazy people. However, they do save you from a sore back.
Thanks for your advice. I know it's only few times I would use these but I want to make this a least amount of hassle as possible.

LOL! Was just looking at the "Torgue Sticks". I came to the same conclusion that it wouldn't be accurate and you would need something else to double check which in my mind is useless.
Old 11-28-13, 01:44 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a Costco, their aluminum jack is great. I rotate my tires every oil change with just jack, stands, lug and torque wrenches.
Old 11-28-13, 06:14 PM
afdavey
Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Since I'm going with the RWD, I'll be doing my own swapping summer and winter wheels. From the quick research I've done it sounds like factory spec is 76 ft/lbs torque and 21mm lug nuts. Since I've not done this before I need some tools to help with the chore. I'm thinking:

- Air Compressor (Is this any good and provide enough air? California Air Tools CAT-6310 Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 1.0 Hp 6.3-Gallon Steel Tank Air Compressor - Amazon.com)

- Air Impact Wrench (Is this any good? Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air Impact Wrench - Amazon.com)

- Jack and Stands (Is this any good? OTC 1533 Aluminum Racing Jack Kit with 2-Ton Jack and Stands, 80th Anniversary Edition : Amazon.com : Automotive)

- 21mm socket (Is this the correct size for 3IS lug nuts? Ingersoll Rand SK4C3F 1/2-Inch Drive 3-Piece Lugnut Service Flip Impact Socket Set - Amazon.com)

My $.02 - look at jack stands that have a flat rubber circular pad that protects against scratching paint; provides stability.
Shop around for price and they also offer a cradle style mount.

ESCO Jack Stand - 3-Ton Capacity, Model# 10498: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific ESCO Jack Stand - 3-Ton Capacity, Model# 10498: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Get a good torque wrench... one that would read 150 ft lbs or higher. not good to push the limit on a smaller range wrench.

For 2x a year - give up the impact wrench - overkill - your not in a pit stop crew... :-)

Last edited by afdavey; 11-28-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 11:44 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I went ahead and purchased the OTC Aluminum jack with matching stands with Amazon black friday sale. I got it for just over $200 for both shipped. Not the cheapest but I'm hoping it'll last me as long as I intend to keep my car.

Now I'm going to get the torque wrench, which I think I narrowed it down to these two. One from Lowes comes with lifetime warranty and I have $10 off $50 coupon I could use.

Amazon.com: Mountain 16250 1/2-inch Drive Torque Wrench - 25-250 ft/lbs: Automotive Amazon.com: Mountain 16250 1/2-inch Drive Torque Wrench - 25-250 ft/lbs: Automotive

http://www.lowes.com/pd_337334-22328...nch&facetInfo=
Old 12-02-13, 11:46 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by afdavey
My $.02 - look at jack stands that have a flat rubber circular pad that protects against scratching paint; provides stability.
Shop around for price and they also offer a cradle style mount.

ESCO Jack Stand - 3-Ton Capacity, Model# 10498: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Get a good torque wrench... one that would read 150 ft lbs or higher. not good to push the limit on a smaller range wrench.

For 2x a year - give up the impact wrench - overkill - your not in a pit stop crew... :-)
Where can you get the jack stand pads that may fit the OTC stand?

OTC 1582 2-Ton Aluminum Jack Stand - Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive OTC 1582 2-Ton Aluminum Jack Stand - Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 12-03-13, 12:41 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go ahead and get the lowes torque wrench since its under warranty and it would be easier to replace it since there is always a local lowes.

since i have nothing else to reference, i will reference the US Navy's "joint fleet maintenance manual", which specifies that you should choose a torque wrench in which your final torque value will fall in between 20 to 90% of the total value of the torque wrench. however, it also says that micrometer (click type) torque wrenches should be exercised @ 60% of their total value (6) times to ensure that you will not get a proper reading.

did you read the (1) and only review for those jack stands? it was not good. did anyplace else have something nice to say about it? usually before i buy something ill narrow it down by trying to find reviews via google, which will pull up what other automotive forums and at home mechanics have posted.

as for jacks, i absolutely love my HF 2 ton low profile jack.

the 2 ton jack (4,000lbs, more than enough)
is the lowest of all their jacks, at 2 5/8"
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-h...ump-68050.html
Old 12-03-13, 06:42 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperD
i would go ahead and get the lowes torque wrench since its under warranty and it would be easier to replace it since there is always a local lowes.

since i have nothing else to reference, i will reference the US Navy's "joint fleet maintenance manual", which specifies that you should choose a torque wrench in which your final torque value will fall in between 20 to 90% of the total value of the torque wrench. however, it also says that micrometer (click type) torque wrenches should be exercised @ 60% of their total value (6) times to ensure that you will not get a proper reading.

did you read the (1) and only review for those jack stands? it was not good. did anyplace else have something nice to say about it? usually before i buy something ill narrow it down by trying to find reviews via google, which will pull up what other automotive forums and at home mechanics have posted.

as for jacks, i absolutely love my HF 2 ton low profile jack.

the 2 ton jack (4,000lbs, more than enough)
is the lowest of all their jacks, at 2 5/8"
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-h...ump-68050.html
i have the exact same jack. it was the only one that was low enough to go under my corvette. but i love the fact it also goes high enough to lift my toyota tacoma 4x4

Quick Reply: Need some help with tire/wheel tools