IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS will remain the entry level car...no Lexus under $30,000

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 07:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Oh, okay, sorry, agreed, completely! Aside from that the 1 Series is now the 2 Series and the 3 Series Coupe is now the 4 Series, so w/r/t the line you've mentioned, nothing's changed, but you're right, Lexus has throughout the years kept a very focused model line up and Mercedes-Benz and BMW are all over the place with the likes of the ugly GLK, X1 and now CLA. Otherwise, I see the revival of the SC on the horizon, the HS was a blip, the IS-F will surely be back and do you mean GS430? I don't really see that as having gone away; the GS is the lineup and the GS450h is its successor...
No, there was a GS460 too. Except Lexus, with ther infinite wisdom, decided to nerf the engine's power output compared to the same engine in the LS. The end result was a vehicle that was more expensive with worse gas mileage than the GS350 but with virtually the same performance. Then the brainiacs at Lexus took this to mean that there is no demand for a V8 GS.
Old 12-07-13, 07:41 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramon
No, there was a GS460 too. Except Lexus, with ther infinite wisdom, decided to nerf the engine's power output compared to the same engine in the LS. The end result was a vehicle that was more expensive with worse gas mileage than the GS350 but with virtually the same performance. Then the brainiacs at Lexus took this to mean that there is no demand for a V8 GS.
I think this is the same problem I'm seeing with the mpg's in my IS350. I have 2k miles on it and am still getting horrendous mpg's; low to mid-14's. On one dealer visit another gentleman with the same model said he too was not happy with his mpg's and that his GS350 is getting far better mpg's. Anyone know if the IS350's engine is tuned differently than the GS350's engine? Otherwise, interesting, never knew there was a GS460! How many years did it last? Lexus has been heavy on the 'premium' hybrid scene; leaving the top models of a line as hybrid, but I'd never go for one out of concern for EMF.
Old 12-07-13, 07:58 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure how long it was around, I just remember being thoroughly disappointed by the specs and stopped paying attention to the GS all together. Sadly, the GS has not had a hint of excitement since the GS400... And that was in '97
Old 12-07-13, 08:22 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramon
I'm not sure how long it was around, I just remember being thoroughly disappointed by the specs and stopped paying attention to the GS all together. Sadly, the GS has not had a hint of excitement since the GS400... And that was in '97
All I think of the GS is the following: a last generation GS is to a drug dealer as a last generation S-Class is to a mafia member. There are, however, more orthodox families sporting them in my area than ever before, as well as similar sized Teslas.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-07-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 10:29 PM
MerlotISF
Rookie

The under 30k "luxury" cars, aren't true luxury... I looked at a CLA and while its a sharp looking car it isn't very luxurious and what a piece of junk, quality wise and there is literally nothing to the rear seats.. Like wise the ILX, is just a Civic. Stay classy Lexus. lol