IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 08:28 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
This issue was fixed like the day it happened. Lexus OTA update causes a glitch in the system that made it reboot itself continuously.

Simply do a hard reset, unplugging the negative for 5 mins, should fix the issue.

And why buy a lexus. Cause it's a lexus. The infiniti next to my Lexus gets like no customers lmao.
LOL Nathan hahaha, by the way Nathan, should i update the V10 something software released back in 2015 from Lexus website ? or should i just reset the ECU by unplug the battery ? if they fix this ill tell Infinity why i bought a Lexus lol
Old 03-15-17, 09:30 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
LOL Nathan hahaha, by the way Nathan, should i update the V10 something software released back in 2015 from Lexus website ? or should i just reset the ECU by unplug the battery ? if they fix this ill tell Infinity why i bought a Lexus lol
This issue was like 6 months ago lol. And it only affect some models. I think it was 2014 or 2015+ nav systems.

If your're having this issue now with the rebooting.. reset ECU. The software updates via Lexus website is somewhat minor; might speed with the performance and slight hiccups with the system. But other than that, I've personally never done so. My car is a 2016, pretty much up the date as of now.
Old 03-16-17, 04:26 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
This issue was like 6 months ago lol. And it only affect some models. I think it was 2014 or 2015+ nav systems.

If your're having this issue now with the rebooting.. reset ECU. The software updates via Lexus website is somewhat minor; might speed with the performance and slight hiccups with the system. But other than that, I've personally never done so. My car is a 2016, pretty much up the date as of now.
There were two issues regarding the navigation re-starts.
One being what Nathantse is referring to - the jacked up OTA update.
Another was more serious and what I experienced right after I bought my car. The navigation would restart after it had fully loaded after I started my car. Numerous visits to the dealer and a software update did not fix it.
It was determined that mine was corrupted and replaced. I believe there were a few others here that had theirs replaced as well.
Old 03-16-17, 06:29 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Another was more serious and what I experienced right after I bought my car. The navigation would restart after it had fully loaded after I started my car. Numerous visits to the dealer and a software update did not fix it.
It was determined that mine was corrupted and replaced. I believe there were a few others here that had theirs replaced as well.

Mine turns on just fine 90% of the time. The other 10% after it fully loads it will re-start it self again. I'm going to mention this to my dealer on the next visit.
Old 03-16-17, 06:43 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Mine turns on just fine 90% of the time. The other 10% after it fully loads it will re-start it self again. I'm going to mention this to my dealer on the next visit.
Try to get a video of it, just in case they can't replicate it.
Old 03-16-17, 06:27 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Thats what i thought, mine restart once in awhile, i just updated the new software this morning, drove from home to work backward and forward haven't restarted yet, when i was picking up the car we replaced a brand new battery and did reset ECU approximately 10 minutes, so Dealer replace the Unit for free if the update and reset can't fix?
Old 03-16-17, 06:36 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solara350
Thats what i thought, mine restart once in awhile, i just updated the new software this morning, drove from home to work backward and forward haven't restarted yet, when i was picking up the car we replaced a brand new battery and did reset ECU approximately 10 minutes, so Dealer replace the Unit for free if the update and reset can't fix?
Mine was replaced under warranty after a tech from Lexus ran tests and found it to be corrupt. I recorded my restart and sent it to the service manager when it started happening. Then they kept the car for a day or two running tests.
Old 03-17-17, 06:29 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Mine was replaced under warranty after a tech from Lexus ran tests and found it to be corrupt. I recorded my restart and sent it to the service manager when it started happening. Then they kept the car for a day or two running tests.
2nd day commute home to work work to home no restart yet, if the new software isn't working or helps, ill record video and bring to Lexus dealer.
Old 04-24-18, 09:31 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Had it replaced under warranty 2 months ago. Now it restarted again today 3-4 times until it said sd card corrupt or some error. Then it searched for the sd card and it was good. Anyone else had to get it replaced the second time?
Old 05-03-18, 09:48 AM
mec0t0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started having this problem last week as well, the navi will not stop rebooting. Tried disconnecting the battery but still have the same problem, anything else I should try? I have a feeling that dealer will ask to replace the entire unit, already out of warranty period.
Old 05-03-18, 02:05 PM
staszek84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2014 IS with the same navigation issue. I updated the software to latest version from Lexus website and it been ok for now. I never got the unit replaced, just software updates. Try that and see if it will help before you let the dealer charge you $$$$$ to replace.
Old 05-03-18, 04:20 PM
mec0t0
Driver School Candidate

Can you please share with me how you were able to update the software? Just checked the Lexus site and there are no downloads available:
https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/getUpdates

Also, I cannot get into the menu screen at all. The screen reboots before you can click ok on the caution screen. Please help, thanks.
Old 05-03-18, 07:12 PM
staszek84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the site. I'm traveling now, however I will look to see if I still have the software I used to update. I will check when home. I'm sure Lexus dealers still have them. I will let you know this weekend. You can also ask Lexus dealer to update software for you. Under warranty that's fee, but maybe they will do a good will call if your out of warranty.
Old 05-04-18, 07:57 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by mec0t0
Can you please share with me how you were able to update the software? Just checked the Lexus site and there are no downloads available:
https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/getUpdates

Also, I cannot get into the menu screen at all. The screen reboots before you can click ok on the caution screen. Please help, thanks.
1st, Lexus should have the firmware update
2nd, if your screen black out, unplug the battery for 5 mins and put it back, your NAV should restart by the ECU, it will turn back on and work normal
3rd, Update your firmware ! use at least 2GB flash drive, download the latest firmware version copy and drag into your flash drive that you plugged in your PC
4th, go back to your car, do not turn ignition or start your car yet ! plug that flash drive into your USB port from your car and then start your car, don't touch anything let the NAV update the file by itself, click OK to proceed and until it finished

5th (important note) don't plug anything in your Car USB ports like "DashCam, Phone Charger blah blah except USB Drive mp3 music files, 2014-2016 Lexus IS has a weirdo Navigation System , Lexus blamed on Weather and Traffic satellite that caused the problem, you should search for my original Thread, i did an experiment and tested this issue and it worked, i've had this issue for so long and i ignored it, 6 months ago my NAV keep rebooting repeated every 5 secs until blacked out, before it rebooted once everyday, i updated the firmware and it stopped for about 10 months.

Use your cigarette lighter for power output leave the USB ports alone and see, this trick worked for my car i don't know about yours, last month it rebooted once i thought the issue came back but its not, i think i touched the usb memory drive and it happened, i wasn't sure but it didn't come back until today, this is Lexus's fault for programming a crappy Nav system but they will not take care of it for us, kinda disappointed, oh well let have fun with the IS for now and maybe look out for another Luxury ride later. more power more feature, saw Kia Stinger and Romeo Giulia today man i'm impressed. Good luck !

firmware download from Lexus America https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads

Last edited by Solara350; 05-06-18 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 06:33 PM
mec0t0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by staszek84
That's the site. I'm traveling now, however I will look to see if I still have the software I used to update. I will check when home. I'm sure Lexus dealers still have them. I will let you know this weekend. You can also ask Lexus dealer to update software for you. Under warranty that's fee, but maybe they will do a good will call if your out of warranty.
Great, please let me know if you still have the firmware/software update, for some reason there are no updates on the Lexus site. I called the dealer and they will charge $200 for diagnostics only, so I want to give it one more try with firmware update.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off