IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

ATX owners: Are you installing front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 08:18 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wulfstan
Just make sure you follow the torque requirement and use the anti seizing grease as in the instructions.

Johnny

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 157k miles
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70) 101k miles
I didn't know the grimmspeed relo kit came with anti-seizing grease (assuming it does based on your purchase of the kit) and torque requirements.

I was gonna buy a grimmspeed relo kit from ebay for $70 shipped. i'm all about a good deal, but the seller didn't mention anything about the grease, instructions, torque req. etc...maybe i should just buy directly from grimmspeed.com.

btw, thanks for the pic johnny. my UW/RR F-Sport will soon arrive. Its great to see what it would look like with a relo kit and VA plates
Old 01-02-14, 09:00 AM
wulfstan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grease you've got to buy yourself... Instructions downloaded from online... Grimmspeed also gives 2 free license plate frames, but didn't use... I can't remember torque specs off-hand... Looked it up, 45 ft lbs.

Sorry for confusion...

https://www.grimmspeed.com/content/i...seplatekit.pdf

Johnny __________________ 2014 Lexus IS 350 FSport Ultra White / Rioja Red / Mark Lev / BSM K&N drop in Air Filter │Coming Soon... Plasti-Dip Emblems │TRD Body kit 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 157k miles 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70) 101k miles

Last edited by wulfstan; 01-02-14 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 09:15 AM
iPinky
Driver

The hole itself is conical, so there won't be any standing water. The bolt hole is inset enough that it's unlikely to be affected by weather. Just make sure you follow the torque requirement and use the anti seizing grease as in the instructions.

I was playing around with the thought of getting an extra tow hook cover and drilling a hole through the middle so I could still cover up the excess... I will keep everyone posted if I do end up doing this...

Have fun... and I just need to adjust it more towards the center in preparation for having factory fogs installed... as it is now, it sits and blocks some of the fog light hole... I will adjust up and toward the middle, but not to hide the eyebrow DRL.

Also, i am using a single spacer on the bolt, which seems to be just perfect for clearing the body because I didn't want it touching the body, either...

Johnny
Thanks for the tips! I was concerned that crap and whatnot would go in the hole and just sit there or will need to be cleaned out every now and then. Another was the contrast of the hole to the car. I guess since mine is obsidian, the hole won't be that noticeable.

Last edited by iPinky; 01-02-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 09:17 AM
Base9se
Rookie

Grease you've got to buy yourself... Instructions downloaded from online... Grimmspeed also gives 2 free license plate frames, but didn't use... I can't remember torque specs off-hand... Looked it up, 45 ft lbs. Sorry for confusion... https://www.grimmspeed.com/content/i...seplatekit.pdf Johnny
Yes, go to any auto part store and buy anti seize grease. Also, use those spacers provided to prevent any scratches on your bumper.
Old 01-02-14, 10:50 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for clarifying about the grease.

also, wulfstan, thats a pretty good idea to drill a hole into the toe hook cap, however, is the toe hook point and center of the cap or off by a little? thats where things will get tricky. additionally, i think the cap is curved off a little too, am i correct? that will make it a bit harder as well. if things don't go well... there goes $65 bucks down the drain. but i'm sure it can be done properly.. maybe start off with a small drill and increase in size until you can get a good alignment.
Old 01-02-14, 01:44 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
thanks for clarifying about the grease.

also, wulfstan, thats a pretty good idea to drill a hole into the toe hook cap, however, is the toe hook point and center of the cap or off by a little? thats where things will get tricky. additionally, i think the cap is curved off a little too, am i correct? that will make it a bit harder as well. if things don't go well... there goes $65 bucks down the drain. but i'm sure it can be done properly.. maybe start off with a small drill and increase in size until you can get a good alignment.
My plan is to do just that, drill a small hole and enlarge until get a good alignment. I want to get rubber grommet or gasket material to cover up the edges so it will look like it's coming out of the plate naturally....

I plan on ordering the tow hook cover as a spare anyways, so I will have the one to make work, and if I screw it up, I'll still have a factory replacement...

Johnny

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 157k miles
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70) 101k miles