IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS250 makes 10 worst cars of 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 05:46 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default IS250 makes 10 worst cars of 2013

Wow this is surprising. Consumer reports destroyed it.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-worst...140000954.html

Lexus IS 250
Price as tested $43,823

Upscale sports sedans are expected to be fun and refined. But the redesigned IS 250 isn’t very sporty or luxurious. Its acceleration lacks punch, fuel economy disappoints, the ride isn’t plush, and the cramped cabin isn’t very quiet or well finished. The IS feels overwhelmingly cramped and closed-in, with a narrow cabin, wide center console, large overhanging dashboard, and snug back seat. It is quite simple to find an IS alternative without nearly the compromises.

Lexus IS Overview

The IS competes in a sporty group, but fails miserably at the task. While the 250's small V6 is refined, performance is rather pokey. And 21 mpg overall is unreasonably thirsty. The IS 350 is punchier but also underwhelming to drive. Handling is secure but not engaging enough for a true sports sedan. Ride comfort is neither tied down nor plush. And if you expected Lexus-like quiet, you're also out of luck. Even by the class's minimal standards, the IS interior is extremely cramped. Getting in and out is an ungraceful chore. Fit and finish is simply OK. Controls have adapted the mouse-like controller found in other Lexus models, which proves fussy and distracting. AWD is available with either engine. Reliability is likely to be above average, but it scores too low to be recommended.
Old 12-30-13, 06:14 PM
KumaF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IS 350 is punchier but also underwhelming to drive. Handling is secure but not engaging enough for a true sports sedan. Ride comfort is neither tied down nor plush. And if you expected Lexus-like quiet, you're also out of luck. Even by the class's minimal standards, the IS interior is extremely cramped. Getting in and out is an ungraceful chore. Fit and finish is simply OK. Controls have adapted the mouse-like controller found in other Lexus models, which proves fussy and distracting. AWD is available with either engine. Reliability is likely to be above average, but it scores too low to be recommended.
I couldn't care less what Consumer Report has to say about the 350, especially when all the big car journals agreed that the 350 is better than its competitions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...n-65-3-roa1013

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ort_comparison

Last edited by KumaF; 12-30-13 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 06:21 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KumaF
I couldn't care less what Consumer Report has to say about the 3IS, especially when all the big car journals agreed that the 3IS is better than its competitions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...n-65-3-roa1013

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ort_comparison

Those are comparisons with the 3IS 350.

Consumer reports bashes on the 3IS 250, which i completely agree.
Old 12-30-13, 06:25 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Those are comparisons with the 3IS 350.

Consumer reports bashes on the 3IS 250, which i completely agree.
I was referring to the overview which talked about 350 though. I should have made it clear lol.
Old 12-30-13, 06:42 PM
McBrain
Driver

A lot of the comments are general 3IS comments. I really don't know where they are coming from. I am no Lexus fanboi (new to to brand), but when I compared this car to the competition and especially at the price, I really don't see how they can be so far off. Also, I don't really care, but it is intriguing to understand such a disparity. For example, the idea that its tricky to get in and out of. Is the reviewer some blimp?

Show me a luxury sedan for $45K better than the IS350 Fsport and I'll buy it (or "would have bought it" I should say).
Old 12-30-13, 06:48 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the new IS350 recently won a comparo test in Car and Driver, that says a lot more about a ca than Consumer Reports. The 250 fared much worse according to CD though, they didn't seem to like it much.
Old 12-30-13, 07:11 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I really don't agree with this article. Yes the 250 engine isn't up to par based on today's standard but it does what is was intended for. It's buttery smooth and perfect for drivers who want the look and some of the performance for less than the 350 costs. Those who chose to buy the 250 knew the degree of power the engine possessed but it suited their needs.
Old 12-30-13, 07:11 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Again, CR is basing this off the "IS 250".

Other reviews; like from Car and Driver are comparing the IS 350 with its competitors.

Lastly, the IS 250 is a POS, its everything a 350 has but a slower engine, a very slow one in this case, and also gets bad MPG. The IS 250 is "supposed" to be an entry level luxury sports sedan. IMO, the IS250 is luxurious, no doubt, but not sporty in terms of power. The new Civic SI's are even faster than the 250, and actually can keep up with our 350.

Last edited by aTeAse; 12-30-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 07:18 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Again, CR is basing this off the "IS 250". Other reviews; like from Car and Driver are comparing the IS 350 with its competitors. Lastly, the IS 250 is a POS, its everything a 350 has but a slower engine, a very slow one in this case, and also gets bad MPG. The IS 250 is "supposed" to be an entry level luxury sports sedan. IMO, the IS250 is luxurious, no doubt, but not sporty in terms of power. The new Civic SI's are even faster than the 250, and actually can keep up with our 350.
I think calling it a POS is a little offensive. I mean the only difference between what you have is a liter of displacement. Not everyone cares about 0-60 times. Many of those who purchase the 250 found it more than adequate for their needs. As long as it looks good and is reliable they're happy.
Old 12-30-13, 07:27 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont know... although it's a very nice car, i agree with most of the article
Old 12-30-13, 08:15 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It seems that some of you haven't read the article. This article is not only talking about the 250. They are including the 350 as well.
Old 12-30-13, 08:23 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I slightly agree. Only because they are using a carry over engine from the first gen.

Even with all the negative things I have to say about my IS350, being the first of its generation with many flaws. It's still an awesome car.

Although.... I still can't believe how bad and choppy the navigation system is... What a SHAME!

Last edited by aTeAse; 12-30-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 08:27 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

ouch they verbally destroyed the IS250. but at some point people have to know the is250 has never been and never will be a fast car. its just what it is, the nice car that you just drive not caring about the power or sportiness. i dont even know why the 250 gets compared to anything really lol

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think calling it a POS is a little offensive. I mean the only difference between what you have is a liter of displacement. Not everyone cares about 0-60 times. Many of those who purchase the 250 found it more than adequate for their needs. As long as it looks good and is reliable they're happy.
i think its alot more involved than just 1L of displacement that equates for the 100hp power difference. but thats a different discussion for a different time
Old 12-30-13, 08:33 PM
Base9se
Rookie

What a bash fest on the IS250. I'd like to know what other vehicles it's being compared against. As with everything, you've got to take these reports with a grain of salt.
Old 12-30-13, 08:59 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst car compared to what automobiles? It's a world class car based on fit and finish, reliability and drive train refinement. This car drives better than a 528i. So, Lexus added more responsive steering and a stiffer suspension to provide an improved driver experience. Consumer Reports has lost all credibility. It's much more fun to drive than the ES, yet Consumer Reports lists that model as a top pick. So, the IS does not fit the standard expectations of a Lexus according to Consumer Reports, and they even included a Lincoln to the list of worst cars, yet many Fords get top ratings. There are just too many magazines and on-line entities attempting to rate cars. It's what the buyers think that counts.

I buy my cars and don't lease. Most of the new BMWs are leased, and most BMW owners trade their cars every three to four years, as they would never want to own the car after the warranty expires.

Quick Reply: IS250 makes 10 worst cars of 2013