IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

5,414 sold in December...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 03:24 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be different, but I could care less about marketing, if the car looks good, has good dependability, good performance and is priced right, I'll buy it.
Old 01-05-14, 04:55 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
What I have noticed is that Lexus is spending a lot of money on marketing and their ad agency has come up with a couple of sexy TV spots. I watch the Q50 spots and they say nothing about the Q50. Some guy in pajamas gets a Q50 because he was nice to Santa. I watch the 2 and I gotta say the Lexus ads generate heat. They show the car off as cool and beautiful. We Americans are suckers for good marketing imo.
those infiniti ads are so bad. So generic and it has no plot. I swear its like those guys had no ideas so they just tried to make it look as holiday themed as possible and that was the only thought that went into it. Really generic unoriginal commercial
Old 01-05-14, 06:11 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Celsius
I might be different, but I could care less about marketing, if the car looks good, has good dependability, good performance and is priced right, I'll buy it.
You live in Oregon -- you are different. You're able to handle an unfathomable number of grey days. I had to leave after 5 years. I couldn't adapt.
Old 01-05-14, 06:16 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik
+1

sales #s of 3/4 series simply destroy those of 3IS. According to these numbers IS is far far behind in terms of sales. And it is also true that IS has the most ancient engine in its class. I can't believe it!
The numbers are astounding to me because a number of people on this forum slammed the car and predicted it would never sell because of the "ancient engine", lack of butt coolers, etc. I argued that Lexus knows exactly what it's doing and predicted the car would sell. It's doing quite well sales wise, wouldn't you agree?

Not everyone wants to drive an appliance and the IS Fsport may be the last chance to drive a car with an edge imo before the government and tech mandate all cars become an appliance. The 3/4 series are becoming more like appliances -- ask anybody who has owned a number of 3's. The current 3/4's from what I hear are like Mexican food served by a nationwide restaurant chain. Vaguely similar but blander and more boring.

Last edited by Glashub; 01-05-14 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 03:41 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The numbers are astounding to me because a number of people on this forum slammed the car and predicted it would never sell because of the "ancient engine", lack of butt coolers, etc. I argued that Lexus knows exactly what it's doing and predicted the car would sell. It's doing quite well sales wise, wouldn't you agree?

Not everyone wants to drive an appliance and the IS Fsport may be the last chance to drive a car with an edge imo before the government and tech mandate all cars become an appliance. The 3/4 series are becoming more like appliances -- ask anybody who has owned a number of 3's. The current 3/4's from what I hear are like Mexican food served by a nationwide restaurant chain. Vaguely similar but blander and more boring.
Let me first tell you that I am a proud 2014 IS 350 F-Sport owner. Let me also tell you that I give a huge credit to what Lexus has done to inject a soul into the latest IS models. Outstanding rigid and sporty chassis, very compliant and comfy suspension, decent interior and controversial but in my eye pretty cool exterior. I have done quite an extensive research before buying IS so I concluded it is the best value that money can get in this class. I test drove S4, 335i and of course IS 350 F-Sport. Clearly in my mind, BMW 335i is a better sports car. The powertrain of 335i is amazing. IDrive, tech package (such HUD) further puts bimmer ahead of Lexus. Now you can argue it is little floaty, numb steering etc but my main two reasons I did not go with bimmer were its nearly $60K price and poor reliability especially compared to Lexus.

Now answering your question I must say that I disagree with you. You are giving your example based on this forum as how sales figures for IS exceeded those who expected them to be poor on this forum. That is all well and good. But this not a measure for success. Success is measured against how its competition is doing. Furthermore, you stated that 3/4 series are becoming more like appliances. Really? Ask yourself a question why would a lot more people be attracted and willing to pay more for a bimmer if it is becoming an appliance? I don't think it is just a coincidence. People are willing to pay higher premium for a better product.

We all know that Lexus specifically benchmarked 3 series when designing 3IS. Now why not to benchmark its main attributes? 3IS two carryover engines are simply ancient at this point. More and more manufacturers are going with smaller displacement and FI, which is basically win/win (better power and better fuel economy). What I think Lexus is simply being too careful and is not going with FI route because NA engines require less maintenance and a lot more reliable. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by salvadorik; 01-05-14 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Glashub is right that people did think that the negatives of the IS would hamper it but overall it doesn't seem to have done so. It seems style and the way the IS drives are two of the biggest selling points. I'm actually shocked it sold that many last month.

Let me first tell you that I am a proud 2014 IS 350 F-Sport owner. Let me also tell you that I give a huge credit to what Lexus has done to inject a soul into the latest IS models. Outstanding rigid and sporty chassis, very compliant and comfy suspension, decent interior and controversial but in my eye pretty cool exterior. I have done quite an extensive research before buying IS so I concluded it is the best value that money can get in this class. I test drove S4, 335i and of course IS 350 F-Sport. Clearly in my mind, BMW 335i is a better sports car. The powertrain of 335i is amazing. IDrive, tech package (such HUD) further puts bimmer ahead of Lexus. Now you can argue it is little floaty, numb steering etc but my main two reasons I did not go with bimmer were its nearly $60K price and poor reliability especially compared to Lexus.

Now answering your question I must say that I disagree with you. You are giving your example based on this forum as how sales figures for IS exceeded those who expected them to be poor on this forum. That is all well and good. But this not a measure for success. Success is measured against how its competition is doing. Furthermore, you stated that 3/4 series are becoming more like appliances. Really? Ask yourself a question why would a lot more people be attracted and willing to pay more for a bimmer if it is becoming an appliance? I don't think it is just a coincidence. People are willing to pay higher premium for a better product.

We all know that Lexus specifically benchmarked 3 series when designing 3IS. Now why not to benchmark its main attributes? 3IS two carryover engines are simply ancient at this point. More and more manufacturers are going with smaller displacement and FI, which is basically win/win (better power and better fuel economy). What I think Lexus is simply being too careful and is not going with FI route because NA engines require less maintenance and a lot more reliable. Just my 2 cents.
Nice post. The Lexus USA sales goal for the IS is 32k a year. The 3/4 series usually sell around 100k a year.

What I think some people miss is Lexus has an ES. Lexus doesn't need the ES or IS to be all things to all people like a 3 series or C class or A4 etc. The ES is very comfy, the IS is very sporty. Not much middle ground, they don't need it.

Surely Lexus would love to see 100k IS's a year here but that will never happen. The ES is the bread and butter car.

Its like the RX, the RX sells 100k a year. No other luxury SUV comes close. That doesn't make the X3 or a MDX or SRX failures. They have lower sales goals that they likely meet.

Some cars are just juggernauts in their class, the 3/4 series and RX are two of them.
Old 01-05-14, 05:04 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you salvadorik and LexFather for your reasonable and insightful posts. salvadorik, you put a lot of thought into your post and make some valid points. For me a car becomes like an appliance when it loses or never possesses the elements that stir a drivers soul. I had a 2012 Genesis that had everything a person could hope for including remarkable reliability. But the ride, handling, steering -- and over all feel of the car failed to stir the soul. It was like an appliance to get from point a to point b. I never felt a visceral desire to go drive in the middle of the night. I do with the IS.

In one paragraph you state, "bimmer were its nearly $60K price and poor reliability especially compared to Lexus." In the next you write in reference to BMW, "People are willing to pay higher premium for a better product." To me reliability is a luxury item and a product isn't better if it has a number of issues .

The one thing BMW has is a great brand that is worth about 10x as much as the Lexus brand according to Forbes. One can get away with a multitude of mistakes when one has that kind of margin for error. Now, I haven't driven the new 3/4 series but from what I've read BMW has willingly given up the elements which stir a driver soul while Lexus has discovered them.
Old 01-05-14, 05:31 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Thank you salvadorik and LexFather for your reasonable and insightful posts. salvadorik, you put a lot of thought into your post and make some valid points. For me a car becomes like an appliance when it loses or never possesses the elements that stir a drivers soul. I had a 2012 Genesis that had everything a person could hope for including remarkable reliability. But the ride, handling, steering -- and over all feel of the car failed to stir the soul. It was like an appliance to get from point a to point b. I never felt a visceral desire to go drive in the middle of the night. I do with the IS.

In one paragraph you state, "bimmer were its nearly $60K price and poor reliability especially compared to Lexus." In the next you write in reference to BMW, "People are willing to pay higher premium for a better product." To me reliability is a luxury item and a product isn't better if it has a number of issues .

The one thing BMW has is a great brand that is worth about 10x as much as the Lexus brand according to Forbes. One can get away with a multitude of mistakes when one has that kind of margin for error. Now, I haven't driven the new 3/4 series but from what I've read BMW has willingly given up the elements which stir a driver soul while Lexus has discovered them.
I strongly recommend to try new 335i. The surge of power is very addicting. S4 also has this sweet 3.0 supercharged engine. Oh well dreaming big.
Old 01-05-14, 05:39 PM
LexFather

No thank you. Its utterly refreshing to see long winded (like me) articulate (not me ) points with what I see are pretty balanced and logical views/conclusions.

I strongly recommend to try new 335i. The surge of power is very addicting. S4 also has this sweet 3.0 supercharged engine. Oh well dreaming big.
Especially if you want MOAR POWER JIM I wish you could chip a Lexus like that.
Old 01-05-14, 05:52 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glashub, Salvadorik, LexFather:

I enjoyed reading your posted conversation very much. I'd like to see your "trialogue" be a model for how differnet points of view can be discussed thoughtfully and respectfully on this forum.
Old 01-05-14, 06:12 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

You nail it sir. My point exqactly. Plus I think Toyota was known for making appliances.
I also don;t thing people who chose BMW get too scared about reliability if they are willing to pay much more. I also think not many keep the BMW after the warranty expires so no need to be scared about.
ES it's on it's own class.. they sell good as it's no competition for it. I have hard time finding a model. I think GS/ E series / 5 series compete and if someone cannot afford those they go for ES.
Old 01-06-14, 09:24 AM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Infiniti Q50 outsold Lexus IS in December as well.
Old 01-06-14, 11:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
Infiniti Q50 outsold Lexus IS in December as well.
Infiniti sold 4,568 Q50s in December.

http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infini...mber-u-s-sales

Last edited by JDR76; 01-06-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-06-14, 12:07 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey i was apart of this lol.....picked up a F-sport that u guys will never see on the forum that i will hardly ever drive lol....happen to see RastaRacer (kevin) that same day at the dealership