IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Normal Steering vs. VGRS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 01:17 PM
BBoyM3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Steering vs. VGRS?

Can you please share your personal insights on driving daily with VGRS? I am ordering my car next week. I have driven both the normal and VGRS variants. This is the only option I am not sure about. Any insights and experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-08-14, 01:33 PM
KumaF
Driver

I tried the VGRS when I test drove a rwd 350. I went with an awd model so I have normal steering. The VGRS does have its advantage in places like parking lots and sharp slow corners, but I am happy with the normal steering as the ratio is already pretty quick (13.2 : 1) and the weight loads up nicely in a linear way, and I do feel it makes the car feel somewhat more predictable when I attack on-ramps.

The real questions is which one you like better since you have tried both.
Old 01-08-14, 03:06 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BBoyM3
Can you please share your personal insights on driving daily with VGRS? I am ordering my car next week. I have driven both the normal and VGRS variants. This is the only option I am not sure about. Any insights and experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
for me I find I drive in normal mode most of the time simply because you cannot get any higher than 6th gear in sport mode. for MPG reasons I use normal. the VGRS is only active in S+ and its rare that I am on a winding road where I can use it to it's potential. from what I have seen the difference is negligible in most every driving situations
Old 01-08-14, 03:21 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
for me I find I drive in normal mode most of the time simply because you cannot get any higher than 6th gear in sport mode. for MPG reasons I use normal. the VGRS is only active in S+ and its rare that I am on a winding road where I can use it to it's potential. from what I have seen the difference is negligible in most every driving situations
++

and the only reason got VGRS was because it was bundled with the power telescoping steering wheel
Old 01-08-14, 03:24 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
I love driving in sport mode since my car only has 6 gears anyway lol
Old 01-08-14, 03:42 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaF
I love driving in sport mode since my car only has 6 gears anyway lol
And it only lets you go to 5th
Old 01-09-14, 06:39 AM
BBoyM3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I think I prefer the normal vs VGRS. I guess I just like (or am used to) the linear feel. I have seen a few people complain about the effort and lack of response at higher speeds associated with VGRS. I understand how/why this occurs. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-14, 07:26 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think about it this way, if we all have been driving without vgrs for the longest time and its not extremely noticeable once you do have it or are not always able to use it, then why can't you continue to livewithout vgrs? and i honestly don't think there is much hype about it and lexus didn't think so either. i believe that's why they paired it up with the telescopic power tilt/steering. it probably doesn't have enough merit to stand on its own.