IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Windshield Surface Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 07:12 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Surface Damage

A rock from a dump truck struck my windshield and appeared to damage the surface coating and glass of the windshield. Using car polish on the damage made the pitted area slightly less noticeable. There is no crack or bull's-eye, so this area is too small to be filled by resin. Any thoughts or experience on using a glass polish on this type of damage? You can see the damaged area in the right corner of the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Surface Damage-img_0575.jpg  
Old 01-13-14, 07:51 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

I have many of these on my windshield. Some are quite deep and noticeable. I doubt there is much you can do, at least they're not as bad as getting rock chips on body paint. Maybe someday we can install clear bra on windshield.
Old 01-13-14, 08:00 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
I have many of these on my windshield. Some are quite deep and noticeable. I doubt there is much you can do, at least they're not as bad as getting rock chips on body paint. Maybe someday we can install clear bra on windshield.
You are correct. Damage to the hood, fender or side pillar would have been much worse. I already have repaired two very small chips on the front bumper. The extreme temperature swings are causing surface pavement to transform into gravel. Then the potholes are being filled with patches that will not hold. After three months of ownership, I have more chips than is usually experienced in two years.
Old 01-13-14, 08:23 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Just make sure you watch that chip and others to come. With vibration (hitting pot holes) it can flex the glass and form minor cracks then end up larger. I would go get it inspected in any case to see if you can fill it--let the experts tell you if it's too small/soon right now to do anything about it. I hear most insurance covers the glass repair thing I see on tv once in a while
Old 01-24-14, 01:04 PM
jokim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed I have a bunch of these little chips on my windshield, not big enough to fill but still can see them. I never had this problem with any other car, is the glass they use weak or something?
Old 01-24-14, 01:13 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Windshield repair only help prevent the crack/chip from propagate further. Sometime it is better just to leave it alone. I have a small chip on mine; safelite repaired it and now it spreaded all the way across. The repair was free was paid for by insurance company but now I have to pay for the windshield replacement with $250 deductible. The worse part is that they only replace with after market glass;( I rather have an OEM with tiny chips than a new aftermarket windshield.
Old 01-24-14, 01:33 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Windshield repair only help prevent the crack/chip from propagate further. Sometime it is better just to leave it alone. I have a small chip on mine; safelite repaired it and now it spreaded all the way across. The repair was free was paid for by insurance company but now I have to pay for the windshield replacement with $250 deductible. The worse part is that they only replace with after market glass;( I rather have an OEM with tiny chips than a new aftermarket windshield.
If I were to havve a windshield repaired/replaced, I would not use Safelite. Over the years, I had several windshilds repaired by privvate shops. The one time I used Safelite, I had major problems. It was sloppy work and the pillar next to the windshield rusted over the next few years because of the windshield replacement.
Old 01-24-14, 01:43 PM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get use to it unfortunately your just going to get more and more. It drives me crazy the glass and the paint are so weak on these cars it kills me. Just don't tail gate anyone and do NOT get behind any kind of dump truck or heavy equipment
Old 01-24-14, 02:01 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSFox
If I were to havve a windshield repaired/replaced, I would not use Safelite. Over the years, I had several windshilds repaired by privvate shops. The one time I used Safelite, I had major problems. It was sloppy work and the pillar next to the windshield rusted over the next few years because of the windshield replacement.
^^^^ 100% agree - My husband had his windshield replaced by Safelite....big mistake. The wind noise is horrendous. I can't stand to ride in the car without the radio loud enough to cover it up. I don't know how he can stand it.
Old 01-24-14, 02:20 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you guys should try this product? It apparently has patent not sure if it will fill in those small damages but it does say it makes the windshield much more resistant to damage.

http://www.surfaceshield.com/windshields.htm
Old 01-24-14, 02:27 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another video on Diamond Fusion. Can't really tell if he is shooting at both sides.

Old 01-24-14, 02:32 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Yes, I have learned the hard way with having Safelite doing the repair. The windshield will get replaced by a supposedly good small local shop this weekend.
They are using Killingping (spelling?) glass; which is supposed to be the same manufacturer that produce Lexus glass.
I read lots of complaints about noises after replacement and believe it is related to how the glass was installed, especially the mold/trim. Hopefully my will turn out ok
Old 01-24-14, 02:35 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Antnie2418
Just get use to it unfortunately your just going to get more and more. It drives me crazy the glass and the paint are so weak on these cars it kills me. Just don't tail gate anyone and do NOT get behind any kind of dump truck or heavy equipment
Yes, Toyota/Lexus paints are very soft. I have to purchase new polish compound and other detailing stuffs because the stuffs I use for my BMW are too aggressive.
Old 01-24-14, 08:45 PM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how I feel about the diamond fusion. I'll have to look into it more. The video looks like it was shot in the early 90's. It seems like the same idea of opti coat but the opti coat doesn't prevent chips so I am skeptical. Has anyone ever use it before ?
Old 01-27-14, 05:11 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Actually there has been one film to be installed on windshield to protect from stone chips. I forgot the brand and I came across it about 8 years. They claimed they can lower your insurance deductible for broken glass. Probably not very common as because it involves another kind of risk.