IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The Lexus IS is so much better than the Audi A4. It's surreal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 02:18 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Lexus IS is so much better than the Audi A4. It's surreal.

I was a Audi A4 owner and getting into a Lexus IS feels amazing.

I was terrified the entire time I drove the Audi A4 because i just know the engine is eating up the oil and the car might break at any time. I actually had to 'top off' the oil every 2,000 miles.

With Lexus.. I know I'm driving a car I can trust. Lexus combine the best elements of Luxury and Sport along with efficiency and reliability.

I can see why Lexus was the #1 selling Luxury Brand in the United States for 11 years, Amazing Brand and Car. I'm telling you guys right now, if you don't own a Lexus yet.. try to get one.

It don't matter what you get really.

Lexus RX 350. You are driving the greatest Luxury SUV ever made. Beautiful and efficient.
Lexus IS. Basically a BMW 3 series that don't break.
Lexus ES. Amazing luxurious feel, and you are floating on the road.
Lexus GS. Power,grace,luxury,and fun. Amazing.
Old 01-19-14, 02:44 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are correct about best value and highly reliability of Lexus cars! Are you looking to get an Is350? As far as performance, you cant compare an A4 to IS350. The better comparasion would be S4 vs. IS350 ( and the S4 would beat the IS350 in almost all comparasion except cost).
Old 01-19-14, 04:41 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pheonix72
You are correct about best value and highly reliability of Lexus cars! Are you looking to get an Is350? As far as performance, you cant compare an A4 to IS350. The better comparasion would be S4 vs. IS350 ( and the S4 would beat the IS350 in almost all comparasion except cost).
I disagree with you there brother. If the S4 was the better in all things but price than I would have walked off the lot with one. The engine itself is truly superior and as mighty as that supercharger felt it still could not mask over glaring faults like the handling. The bulk of the engine over the front wheels was far too obvious and the steering was way too loose and had much play. The handling was the worst of all the cars I test drove. The S4 was my #1 pick before I test drove any other cars. There are still many things to like about it, but superior in all respects but price is not a claim I would ever make about it.

Price: We all know
Reliability: It is notorious for a reason
Handling: Worst of all the cars in the entry level luxury sport sedan segment
Depreciation: Below average as well
Maintenance Costs: So bad it's considered a lease only car

In addition to loving the supercharged engine I really liked the interior as it suited my tastes feeling like a single man's ride. Great car really but I just could look past it glaring faults even though I truly felt this would be the time I go Audi.
Old 01-19-14, 04:45 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ +1
Old 01-19-14, 04:58 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
I disagree with you there brother. If the S4 was the better in all things but price than I would have walked off the lot with one. The engine itself is truly superior and as mighty as that supercharger felt it still could not mask over glaring faults like the handling. The bulk of the engine over the front wheels was far too obvious and the steering was way too loose and had much play. The handling was the worst of all the cars I test drove. The S4 was my #1 pick before I test drove any other cars. There are still many things to like about it, but superior in all respects but price is not a claim I would ever make about it.

Price: We all know
Reliability: It is notorious for a reason
Handling: Worst of all the cars in the entry level luxury sport sedan segment
Depreciation: Below average as well
Maintenance Costs: So bad it's considered a lease only car

In addition to loving the supercharged engine I really liked the interior as it suited my tastes feeling like a single man's ride. Great car really but I just could look past it glaring faults even though I truly felt this would be the time I go Audi.
I respect your opion and it is all about personal preferrent! The people at Motor Trend also rated the S4 higher. I test drove both and really like S4 but decided agaist because of costs ( both initial and cost to own). Plus i usually keep cars pass warranty period so reliabiility is also key factor.
Anyhow, my point to the OP is that not a fair comparasion between the IS350 vs.A4.
Old 01-19-14, 05:25 AM
Slust
Pole Position

I agree that it is not a fair comparison on the A4 and 350 for the reasons you give. I feel the IS350 is somewhere in between the A4 and the S4 rather than a direct competitor to either, but that is mostly due to costs rather than virtue of the vehicles.

Far as those reviews go, they also agree handling is horrible on the S4. So if we agree with price is bad, cost to own (maintenance, reliability and depreciation) is bad and the review sites agree with me it's engine is located too far front than regardless of personal tastes that is enough to say the S4 is objectively not superior in all but price.
Old 01-19-14, 06:11 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

As Lexus owners i guess we tend to take it for granted how bullet proof and reliable our cars are i'm often reminded about how i've gone months with just simple oil changes and a tire rotation whenever my friends ( one has a bmw and the other an audi ) have their rides in the dealership for days for whatnot issues

Both by the way will be looking into a Lexus once their leases are up
Old 01-19-14, 06:52 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
As Lexus owners i guess we tend to take it for granted how bullet proof and reliable our cars are i'm often reminded about how i've gone months with just simple oil changes and a tire rotation whenever my friends ( one has a bmw and the other an audi ) have their rides in the dealership for days for whatnot issues

Both by the way will be looking into a Lexus once their leases are up
Bullet proof? Have you been tracking the nav/radio problems with the 3IS?
Old 01-19-14, 06:59 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Bullet proof? Have you been tracking the nav/radio problems with the 3IS?
My bad ...... granted 6 months out is too soon to really evaluate the 3IS i've seen those treads but have not ( knock on wood ) any issues whatsoever with my Nav. I'm sure Lexus will get a fix for this sooner rather than later .......
Old 01-19-14, 08:19 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tim1988
I was a Audi A4 owner and getting into a Lexus IS feels amazing.

I was terrified the entire time I drove the Audi A4 because i just know the engine is eating up the oil and the car might break at any time. I actually had to 'top off' the oil every 2,000 miles.

With Lexus.. I know I'm driving a car I can trust. Lexus combine the best elements of Luxury and Sport along with efficiency and reliability.

I can see why Lexus was the #1 selling Luxury Brand in the United States for 11 years, Amazing Brand and Car. I'm telling you guys right now, if you don't own a Lexus yet.. try to get one.

It don't matter what you get really.

Lexus RX 350. You are driving the greatest Luxury SUV ever made. Beautiful and efficient.
Lexus IS. Basically a BMW 3 series that don't break.
Lexus ES. Amazing luxurious feel, and you are floating on the road.
Lexus GS. Power,grace,luxury,and fun. Amazing.
Tim,

Your post is a fetching love letter to Lexus, but it left me a bit confused. In another thread, you went as far as suggesting that you'd like to see Lexus as the only luxury brand in existence. However, in a different thread, posted only two days ago, you indicated that you're having a tough time deciding between an Acura MDX and an RX 350, either of which your mother will buy for you. Yet in this thread you call the RX 350 "The greatest luxury SUV ever made."

So, if Lexus should rule the highways, why are you considering an Acura?

Also, your comment about being terrified to drive your A4 is curious. Terrified? Really?
Old 01-19-14, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Tim,

Your post is a fetching love letter to Lexus, but it left me a bit confused. In another thread, you went as far as suggesting that you'd like to see Lexus as the only luxury brand in existence. However, in a different thread, posted only two days ago, you indicated that you're having a tough time deciding between an Acura MDX and an RX 350, either of which your mother will buy for you. Yet in this thread you call the RX 350 "The greatest luxury SUV ever made."

So, if Lexus should rule the highways, why are you considering an Acura?

Also, your comment about being terrified to drive your A4 is curious. Terrified? Really?
Kind of sounds like some really young guy dreaming about cars.
Old 01-19-14, 02:56 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

A4 is crap. S4 is most in line of competition with the IS350. Of course the S4 is the better car. Faster, handles better with vectoring AWD Quattro and no cheap interior materials to be seen in sight.

Audi has a more premium brand image than Lexus too.
Old 01-20-14, 10:39 AM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slust
Far as those reviews go, they also agree handling is horrible on the S4.
You and I are reading VERY different reviews. I have yet to see one that does anything but rave about the S4.

I am currently cross shopping the IS350 F Sport and S4. I can break down the differences easily…

S4:
-Monster of a power train
-Lots of options for mods
-HIGH total cost of ownership

IS350 F Sport:
-Low total cost of ownership
-$10k less equally optioned
-High reliability

So if you are looking for a fun and reliable car, the IS wins hands down. If you are willing to 'pay to play', then the S4 pulls ahead.

As said previously, all personal preference.
Old 01-20-14, 11:50 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

IMO S4 is in totally different league than IS350. Even though theoretically they compete with each other, the price difference of 10-15K for the similarly equipped vehicles put them different categories. People usually buying S4 cross shop BMW 335i. When I was shopping for IS350 I knew that if 335i or S4 were 3-4K more expensive than IS350, then that would be no brainer for me as to buy one of the Germans. S4 is mechanically a lot more complex with its Quattro system and torque vectoring sport diff. Its supercharged engine is an absolute gem. Audi uses this engine for many models and it is a very reliable motor. The understeer on S4 is not that noticeable in real world driving unless you take to its limits.
Old 01-20-14, 11:57 AM
Slust
Pole Position

I agree with your list and your closing comment.

In response to the S4 handling. First I want to make it absolutely clear my opinion from the S4 is from actually driving the S4 and not from reviews. I HATED the handling. Yes it is personal preference but there are key tangible reasons as to why I dislike it.

Here is one review that not only talks about the Audi handling without the sugar gloss many reviews give and shows why it handles the way it does. They discuss the engine at the beginning of the review and they specifically address the steering after the 5min point.

Originally Posted by falundir
You and I are reading VERY different reviews. I have yet to see one that does anything but rave about the S4.

I am currently cross shopping the IS350 F Sport and S4. I can break down the differences easily…

S4:
-Monster of a power train
-Lots of options for mods
-HIGH total cost of ownership

IS350 F Sport:
-Low total cost of ownership
-$10k less equally optioned
-High reliability

So if you are looking for a fun and reliable car, the IS wins hands down. If you are willing to 'pay to play', then the S4 pulls ahead.

As said previously, all personal preference.

I agree with Sal in that I don't think the IS350 competes with the S4. I think the IS-F is the real competitor to the S4 since it's only a few thousand more as that $15k gap from IS350 to S4 is too much.

Last edited by Slust; 01-20-14 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: The Lexus IS is so much better than the Audi A4. It's surreal.