IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How has your 3IS done in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 04:38 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Forgive me if there is another thread about this. I checked but didn't see any. Anyway living in ny we have gotten hit with two snowstorms since the new year. Especially today which the roads were horrible. Threw my car into snow mode and I was off. I gotta say I was really impressed with how the car drove and handled in the snow. I know lexus isn't known for their AWD like audi or BMW but I'm really impressed. Some bigger trucks in front of me were swerving and my car didn't at all. Giving me another reason to love my new car even more. How have you guys done in the snow? I know my canada posters will have something to say about this!! Lol 2014 AWD IS 350 F Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red

Last edited by CobraGSF; 01-21-14 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 04:46 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was out driving today in the same weather in the Northeast. Also, I live in a very hilly town. The AWD with the all seasons was more than competent. I have several steep twisty grades to negotiate downhill. I like the convenience of the paddle shifters to decelerate the car before/while braking.
Old 01-21-14, 04:48 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Live in NY as well my IS chewed through the snow. I was surprised I didn't slip or get stuck like a lot of other cars around me. Weird part is when I told my friends I bought a Lexus, they all said it was the worst AWD system, but today it was definitely on point.
Old 01-21-14, 05:06 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a RWD should I try It out ?! It does have snow mode haha
Old 01-21-14, 05:07 PM
KumaF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car handled the several major snow storms we had with ease. Lexus' AWD system isn't well-known because they did not market it as heavily as the Germans. I believe Lexus don't even have a formal name like xDrive and Quattro for the AWD system we have. I guess that's why many people would just assume Lexus has the worst AWD.
Old 01-21-14, 05:14 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Kuma maybe they haven't named it because the number 4 is unlucky in the Japanese culture.

From Wiki: "The unluckiness of the number four is one such example, as the Japanese word for "four" sounds like the word for "death."
Old 01-21-14, 05:16 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KumaF
My car handled the several major snow storms we had with ease. Lexus' AWD system isn't well-known because they did not market it as heavily as the Germans. I believe Lexus don't even have a formal name like xDrive and Quattro for the AWD system we have. I guess that's why many people would just assume Lexus has the worst AWD.
Well, I had an AWD BMW for many years, my wife has an AWD Audi, and I now have the AWD 3IS. All have many features in common and some differences. However, the bottom line is they have all performed exquisitly in a variety of foul weather (rain and snow) conditions. Marketing and technical differences aside, I am equally confident driving each of these vehicles throughout any New England winter.
Old 01-21-14, 05:57 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

I have a RWD 3IS with Blizzaks on and I have had no problem with the snow storms rolling through Chicago. The car has really been amazing.
Old 01-21-14, 06:08 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Randre19
I have a RWD 3IS with Blizzaks on and I have had no problem with the snow storms rolling through Chicago. The car has really been amazing.
Good to know! I may try it out later. Thanks Randre
Old 01-21-14, 06:11 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

They have a clip of testing the AWD system last year on youtube (GS though). Odd if I didn't own a Lexus, I would have never believed it

Old 01-21-14, 06:14 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Good share TheoryGuy. My AWD GS is a beast in the snow!
Old 01-21-14, 06:21 PM
Apollo4
Driver School Candidate

My 2014 250 IS AWD F sport handled like a charm on the roads in NY & NJ today. After driving in today's weather I was happy I got the IS instead of the Benz CLA.
Old 01-21-14, 06:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

In addition to KumaF, here's more Canadian feedback, echoing what everyone else is saying.

The AWD provides surprisingly secure traction in snow, despite the A/S Turanzas. And arguably better than my RX F-Sport (AWD) with Michelin Latitudes. And if the IS' rear snaps out into oversteer, hold on to the power as it's so balanced you can easily drift and correct your line. It's actually fun.

Took this video during the ice storm. Roads were nearly ice rinks. You can see the car takes off quickly with minimal wheelspin.

Old 01-21-14, 06:48 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

wow great shares guys. proves lexus can definetly hold its own in the snow. furthering my own experience today. I feel like the AWD for lexus is like a hidden gem now lol
Old 01-21-14, 06:51 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
In addition to KumaF, here's more Canadian feedback, echoing what everyone else is saying.

The AWD provides surprisingly secure traction in snow, despite the A/S Turanzas. And arguably better than my RX F-Sport (AWD) with Michelin Latitudes. And if the IS' rear snaps out into oversteer, hold on to the power as it's so balanced you can easily drift and correct your line. It's actually fun.

Took this video during the ice storm. Roads were nearly ice rinks. You can see the car takes off quickly with minimal wheelspin.

http://youtu.be/u0_zFXyuvqw
That ice storm My power was out for 5 days and I had to stay at a friend's place in Markham during Christmas

Quick Reply: How has your 3IS done in the snow?