First Time Lexus Owner - A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 06:31 PM
nolaELLIOT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Lexus Owner - A Few Questions

Hey everyone,

I am supposed to take delivery of my new IS350 F Sport (Obsidian/Rioja Red) sometime in the next few days (I think Saturday).

I have never had a nice car before -- been driving a 1999 Camry 4cyl clunker for the last 10 years -- so I am very excited about this weekend, needless to say.

I have absolutely NO IDEA how to care for a new luxury sports car . This didn't really concern me, however, until I started browsing through this forum. I just assumed I would take my car to the local, higher-end, car washes once a week or maybe two weeks. Now that I have learned about paint swirling and such, I realize that this would be paint suicide and will likely be left with the task myself. This is no big deal really as I am sure that I can get used to dedicating a few hours a week to cleaning it myself, but I just don't really know much about it and don't want to make any mistakes.

I have read some articles here and there, with this one being the most comprehensive -- http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...ying/#overview. So I have a good idea of what to do and what not to I guess, but I still know nothing about particular products and brands.

So I guess my broad question is... What products do you all use and what are the pros and cons of certain brands over others? I hope I am not starting a brand war, but there are so many choices for each little thing and it is pretty overwhelming . I don't really want to take the trial and error approach with a new paint job, so any help would be much appreciated.

Also, what's the deal with breaking in the engine? I have seen this mentioned here and there, but I don't quite understand what I should be avoiding?... Am I not allowed to have any fun for a few thousand miles?

Sorry for the long post. If there is anything else I should know, feel free to let me know. I appreciate any help, so thanks in advance.

Last edited by nolaELLIOT; 01-29-14 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake
Old 01-29-14, 06:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

First, congrats on your first luxury sports sedan, on your first Lexus, and on your first post in this forum!

Personally, I have had success with many brands of car soap and waxes so I won't discriminate stating one is better than the other as they are so close. For car soap, I prefer one containing wax as it maintains your original coat of wax longer. As for actual washing, the key system to minimize fine scratches is to employ a 2 bucket wash system which you can google to get more details. There's also the Grit Guard you can get to further separate the dirt to the bottom of the bucket.

As for engine breaking, there are so many opposing views. Personally, I have taken it easy on the throttle for about the first 1000 km, afterwhich I progressively applied more power the more kms I put on the car. Just common sense stuff...

Enjoy washing your IS, and especially enjoy driving it!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-29-14 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 04:38 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My advice don't fret too much over little details...you will miss out on actually enjoying the car and spending way too much time about worrying over minor details. The car wash is definitely important but if you start looking at other dark cars you will notice almost everyone has swirls....and with you picking Obsidian (like myself) you will find it damn near impossible to have perfect paint.

Now I do have a 2 bucket wash routine down etc... but I also will use the auto wash if I don't have time. I try my best to keep the swirls off but in the end the car itself is getting the looks not the color

Finally you will get addicted...I repeat addicted to modding the little things. First thing I did was got rid of all the halogen bulbs inside the car and switched to LED. Then I noticed the puddle lights were halogen those went and switched to LED. Walking around I am not a fan of the egg yolk turn signals so those went and were replaced with chrome dipped turn signals....and it just goes on and on

Last edited by sarcoptic; 01-30-14 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 06:07 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owner's manual:
Breaking in your new Lexus
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:
For the first 186 miles (300 km):
Avoid sudden stops.
For the first 621 miles (1000 km):
• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
• Avoid sudden acceleration.
• Do not drive continuously in low gears.
• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

Two bucket wash method -- see he's pretty knowledgeable.

Also, along with the two bucket wash method, DO NOT WASH IN CIRCLES!!!!! one of the facts that get highly overlooked is your stroke technique. do not go in circular motions, side to side and up and down in designated areas.

I also wouldn't recommend washing your car too often, its a waste of time and money. the most important thing is to rinse your car after some bad weather or things that affect your car from bad weather (snow, road salt, mud, bird poo, good drench of acid rain). when its too cold out, i just go to the local gas station to do a touchless wash (high pressure water and soap) up until its decent enough to do the two bucket wash, which for us here, seems like forever as we're constantly below the 30s.
Old 01-30-14, 06:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow 1999 to 2014 IS is a huge step up. Congrats on the purchase. Since you have obsidian, definitely get good quality wash mitts, microfiber (general purpose), waffle weave towels (drying). If you use a bucket to wash get a grit guard so dirt stays separated. I have a foam cannon attachment now so I just spray the soap directly on the car. Use a water based dressing for the tires so it doesnt sling onto the paint and stay there. Water based wont last as long but its easy to apply and wont stick on the paint.

I would suggest to do a wash, clay bar, and wax/sealant after picking up the car. Even from teh factory there is some paint contamination after transportation which the clay bar will take care of. Always tell the dealer no car wash if you are there.

www.chemicalguys.com has good car car products. They are on amazon too.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-30-14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 06:13 PM
is2506spon
Driver School Candidate

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.
I had obsidian on my 2009 IS, over 4 years I avoided swirls and paint damage by doing the following easy steps:
1. microfibre wash mitts (one for body and one for the wheels)
2. apply turtle wax ice (easy to apply and work with for beginners)
3. maintain with soap with wax (meguiars is great)
4. if you cant wash it than at a minimum use high pressure rinse till you get a chance to hand wash

enjoy your car!
Old 01-30-14, 06:44 PM
phungy
Driver

I highly recommend Opti-Coat and/or PPF (Paint Protection Film) on an Obsidian. Afterwards Optimum No Rinse should be good enough for maintenance.
Old 01-30-14, 07:37 PM
nolaELLIOT
Driver School Candidate

Default It came in early!

Soooo shiny....

First Time Lexus Owner - A Few Questions-lexus.jpg
First Time Lexus Owner - A Few Questions-lexus_2.jpg
Old 01-30-14, 08:51 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Congrats and welcome. Your car looks great and I'm positive you'll enjoy the heck out of it.

As for maintenance, I agree with Phungy 100%. I got my car Opti-Coated a couple of weeks ago and last week I washed my car with Optimum No Rinse. It is quick and easy and your car will look great. Below is the method I use.

1. Fill up a spray bottle with water and add a capful of Optimum No Rinse solution.
2. Spray on liberally and wipe dry using a good quality microfiber waffle weave towel. Do this one panel at a time. You'll need two towels to do the whole car.

That's it. Takes me 20-30 minutes to get the whole car sparkling. No swirls. If you get Opt-Coat (and I strongly recommend that you do) and wash your car with No Rinse once a week, it will stay looking new for a good 8 to 10 years.

Tip for the wheels: You can wash your wheels the same way if you want. However, because this car produces so much brake dust I choose to go with "Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner". That, combined with their wheel brush does the job really well. I do this before washing my car since it requires hosing the wheels off and water splashes onto the car.
Old 01-31-14, 06:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

for the break in I just drive it like normal. I dont beat on it but I dont baby it either
Old 02-04-14, 10:29 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

The Lexus IS looks sooo good in black...nothing like a brand new black car....just hard to maintain that pure factory fresh look...but good luck, very nice pictures of your car...I'm sure it's turning heads where ever you go!
Old 02-04-14, 10:31 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

does anyone get the extra cost Simionize protection, that the Lexus dealer will try to sell me, when my IS finally arrives from Japan???