IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Poor Sound Proofing Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 06:01 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If the speakers are well bolted to the door, the sound moves through the metal. The sheet metal that's the outside of the door can amplify that sound. Thicker metal reduces the effect. All automakers uses thinner and thinner materal to keep the vehicle weight down.
Old 02-09-14, 08:33 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhs82
If the speakers are well bolted to the door, the sound moves through the metal. The sheet metal that's the outside of the door can amplify that sound. Thicker metal reduces the effect. All automakers uses thinner and thinner materal to keep the vehicle weight down.
Argh; makes sense.

Lexus should consider additional insulation around the speaker to reduce the effect.
Old 02-09-14, 08:43 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not "cost cutting". It's cost refocusing. The 3IS is the antithesis of the 2IS. They decided that the "thud" when a door is closed didn't make the car a BMW competitor. They took the "thud" money and put it into the suspension, extra legroom, adjustable suspension, and other features the 2IS doesn't have. I have owned many IS competitors and the 3IS is leagues ahead in solidity and quietness -- still.
Old 02-09-14, 09:36 AM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the doors feel solid, they don't have the BMW solid feel when opening and closing. While I've used small foam pads under the license plate, Lexus should use a four screw mounting system for license plates. There is no excuse for a luxury car to have a floppy license plate when closing the trunk. These are the small details that define a luxury car.
Old 02-09-14, 11:09 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoosier1
While the doors feel solid, they don't have the BMW solid feel when opening and closing. While I've used small foam pads under the license plate, Lexus should use a four screw mounting system for license plates. There is no excuse for a luxury car to have a floppy license plate when closing the trunk. These are the small details that define a luxury car.
There was a brand new 535i sitting in the parking lot at the mall. It still had the sticker in the window and the advertisement plates. I walked over and noticed that the frame was only held in place by the top 2 screws. I walked over and slid my hand through the gap at the bottom. No screw holes. I felt around. No screw holes. I invite anyone to check it out on new BMW's.

And let's not get grandiose here -- the keywords are "entry-level" luxury. The 3IS is entry level luxury.
Old 02-09-14, 12:15 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Funny, when I test drove 335i last year sales guy even said people think BMW are luxury cars, but in reality they're not. I believed him after sitting inside the car. Interior felt very cheap.
Old 02-09-14, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Funny, when I test drove 335i last year sales guy even said people think BMW are luxury cars, but in reality they're not. I believed him after sitting inside the car. Interior felt very cheap.
BMWs are most certainly luxury cars. Their design is towards the sportier end, but they are definitely luxury cars.

Definitely a luxury car:

I do find most lightly optioned BMW interiors cold and sterile. You need to get into the updated leathers and woods, and the richer colors to make them feel luxurious...but when you get there they are VERY luxurious.
Old 02-09-14, 02:23 PM
hoosier1
Driver

I've owned three BMWs, and all used four mounting screws for the license plate.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Sound Proofing Insulation-20110131_8.jpg  
Old 02-09-14, 02:33 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
The IS interior is higher quality when compared to the 3 series, but not the 5 series. But, one would have to compare the 5 series to the GS.

When considering overall luxury, price and resale value, I love my IS. The smooth V6 is amazing even if the gas mileage is not the best.
Old 02-09-14, 02:40 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The IS interior is higher quality when compared to the 3 series, but not the 5 series. But, one would have to compare the 5 series to the GS.

When considering overall luxury, price and resale value, I love my IS. The smooth V6 is amazing even if the gas mileage is not the best.
I had a 3 series, my brother has a 5 series and I now have a 3IS, I agree will all statements in your post.
Old 02-09-14, 02:41 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

The last one you owned was 2011 right? I looked at a brand new one today. I felt around under the bottom of the plat and could do so because the bottom was not attached. Better to check current BMW models against your current model 3IS.
Old 02-09-14, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not really that its higher quality. BMW interiors are different, their materials are different. I've always found BMW materials to be very good quality, just the presentation looks drab and less so. One big reason I chose the GS over the 5 Series.

As for the license plate, if you have a nice metal frame you don't have to worry about the frame rattling when the trunk is closed.

I have used these frames on Lexus vehicles for years:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/2735.html

Its a nice solid frame, and it has felt padded feet under the bottom that rests the plate firmly against the trunk lid. If you don't want the Lexus script they sell the same frame without it:

http://www.autoattire.com/stainless-...te-frames.html

I also recommend the plexiglass cover.
Old 02-09-14, 03:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how are you going to insulate the glass that every car has?
Old 02-09-14, 03:59 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how are you going to insulate the glass that every car has?
Yes, no way to insulate glass other than having thicker glass or having two pane glass with air sandwiched between (like on my Mercedes or BMW). Upon further reflection, the sound was coming through the metal most.
Old 02-09-14, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dbs600
Yes, no way to insulate glass other than having thicker glass or having two pane glass with air sandwiched between (like on my Mercedes or BMW). Upon further reflection, the sound was coming through the metal most.
LOL...you have to remember this is an entry level car. My $60k GS has dual pane windows...

Quick Reply: Poor Sound Proofing Insulation