IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Keep my 3IS 350 or lease fully loaded BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 12:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by gpxluke
I would ignore the official number on the MPG as they are not very accurate. I actually compared my car's MPG with my frd's 335 xdrive, I can easily get 400KM out of a tank considered that's 90% city driving and so as my frd as we all live in Vancouver BC, not that much freeway around. He told me he can only get 360~370 the most out of a tank. Well maybe it is because of the xdrive system that consumes more gas but I don't think the lexus is doing bad on MPG, to me I think it's reasonable. My previous B7 A4 can hardly get 420 km on a tank and that was a 2.0T four banger.
You cannot use miles or kilometers per tank. You have to look at actual mileage.

Lexus IS fuel tank: 17.4 gallons
BMW 3 Series fuel tank: 15.8 gallons
Old 02-26-14, 12:30 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpxluke
I would ignore the official number on the MPG as they are not very accurate. I actually compared my car's MPG with my frd's 335 xdrive, I can easily get 400KM out of a tank considered that's 90% city driving and so as my frd as we all live in Vancouver BC, not that much freeway around. He told me he can only get 360~370 the most out of a tank. Well maybe it is because of the xdrive system that consumes more gas but I don't think the lexus is doing bad on MPG, to me I think it's reasonable. My previous B7 A4 can hardly get 420 km on a tank and that was a 2.0T four banger.
I would ignore this post
Old 02-26-14, 04:03 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya Lexus can't compete with BMW on power and efficiency.

Though what you spend on fuel economy with the Lexus you save on maintenance, reliability and resale value. So comparing fuel economy seems rather silly to me as it's like comparing pennies to hundred dollar bills. The engine power is the main sticking point.
Old 02-26-14, 04:07 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slust
Ya Lexus can't compete with BMW on power and efficiency.

Though what you spend on fuel economy with the Lexus you save on maintenance, reliability and resale value. So comparing fuel economy seems rather silly to me as it's like comparing pennies to hundred dollar bills. The engine power is the main sticking point.
You might have a point however if you buy a new bmw and plan on keeping it 3-4 years bmw offers free maintanance (oil, breaks, etc) add the fuel saving on top and Lexus doesn;t look that good.
Of course if you plan to keep the car for 10 years you have a point. Lexus is hands down the most reliable.
Old 02-26-14, 04:13 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Ladies and Gents, good news! I have cancelled my order with BMW. After long and challenging debate with myself I decided to stick to my lovely Lexus. Even with all goodies that BMW brings on the table, Lexus is by far the better driver's car. BOBSPORT was/is right this car is worth loving. I now LOVE it officially It is that great! I will get F Sport Intake and it will be just unbelievably good. That is it - I am now officially a Lexus fanboy

Last edited by salvadorik; 02-26-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 05:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Ladies and Gents, good news! I have cancelled my order with BMW. After long and challenging debate with myself I decided to stick to my lovely Lexus. Even with all goodies that BMW brings on the table, Lexus is by far the better driver's car. BOBSPORT was/is right this car is worth loving. I now LOVE it officially It is that great! I will get F Sport Intake and it will be just unbelievably good. That is it - I am now officially a Lexus fanboy
Congrats (again?)
Old 02-26-14, 06:25 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats (again?)
It has been very much eye opening experience for me. Now I appreciate it a lot more than before and I genuinely realize why people are making switch from BMW to Lexus.
Old 02-26-14, 08:35 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You should ask the same question in BMW forums and you will definitely get opposite feedbacks.
Old 02-26-14, 10:40 PM
Slust
Pole Position

I now LOVE it officially It is that great!
It took ya long enough!

Originally Posted by dojoman
You should ask the same question in BMW forums and you will definitely get opposite feedbacks.
Quite true but for more reasons than you mean. I lurk on the BMW forums since I thought about buying one and most of those people don't even acknowledge anything that isn't German. In fact, I saw them hate on Lexus "because our forums are less active." With the amount of ignorant statements I read on their forums when it comes to the competition I'm not sure they'd offer anything of value. At least the people on this forum are willing to recognize the strengths of all brands.
Old 02-26-14, 11:12 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Salvadorik, I'm happy we didn't lose you to the dark side, but I can certainly respect and understand your temptation. Toyota's 3.5 V6 doesn't really score a knockout punch, particularly when compared to the Bimmer's inline 6. What makes the Lexus win through is the sum of its parts--it's good-to-great in most areas. It doesn't overwhelm, but at the end of the day, you realize its value. As Slust once posted, given 50 more HP, the 350 would own its segment. In any event, you can now relax and enjoy your car. You made a good decision.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 02-26-14 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 12:18 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Dojoman, I actually posted my first thread on bimmerfest forum yesterday with the same question as this thread asks. And oh my - I now regret posting it there. I got so many negative, arrogant and useless replies so I just ignored most of them. Maybe part of my decision to stay with Lexus was because that I got little scared that I will become one of them. Here, on the other hand, I noticed that most members are more open minded and have more respect toward each other. After all cars are machines and we should not forget that.

Slust, the reason why it took me so long is because I didn't drive it hard enough to appreciate it. I was still within "break-in" interval. Driving back home after visiting bmw dealership I decided to put on S+ mode and just hammer the gas pedal and boy did that change my mind This car is just totally different when you drive it hard. In fact it is supposed be driven this way.

UncleSpud, thank you for these words.
Old 02-27-14, 03:12 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Dojoman, I actually posted my first thread on bimmerfest forum yesterday with the same question as this thread asks. And oh my - I now regret posting it there. I got so many negative, arrogant and useless replies so I just ignored most of them. Maybe part of my decision to stay with Lexus was because that I got little scared that I will become one of them. Here, on the other hand, I noticed that most members are more open minded and have more respect toward each other. After all cars are machines and we should not forget that.

Slust, the reason why it took me so long is because I didn't drive it hard enough to appreciate it. I was still within "break-in" interval. Driving back home after visiting bmw dealership I decided to put on S+ mode and just hammer the gas pedal and boy did that change my mind This car is just totally different when you drive it hard. In fact it is supposed be driven this way.

UncleSpud, thank you for these words.

This car is a whole different animal under S/S+ mode, welcome back... again!
Old 02-27-14, 07:21 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

That is it - I am now officially a Lexus fanboy
Until the new 2015 c400 comes along:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ss_first_look/
Old 02-27-14, 08:35 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrraider
Until the new 2015 c400 comes along:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ss_first_look/
The rear is ugly, reminds me of a Taurus or Hyundai
Old 02-27-14, 06:04 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good decision. Now, before you get all excited and get yourself that f-sport intake, remember that it'll make your car a LOT quieter than the fsport factory pipe. And you won't feel any hp gain to justify the purchase. Just saying...If anything, get the Joe z intake pipe and see for yourself because it's identical to fsport, but one third of the price, if not less. Just keep the stock intake and enjoy your car man. My honest advice. I'm going to switch back to short ram.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 02-27-14 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Keep my 3IS 350 or lease fully loaded BMW 335i