IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS - Where do you place your phone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 07:01 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
So i liked this idea as well.. and before I even got my car I bought the magnetic mount (Above).

Now that I have the car and am considering doing this, I've noticed that its an inconvenient spot for me personally. I have an iphone6+ which is admittedly a large phone, but if I use it in portrait mode, it blocks some of the navi screen and the the HVAC display. If I use it in landscape, it blocks half of each vent.

Neither of these points are deal breakers, esp since I haven't come up with a better solution yet... but just letting you guys know that imo there are a few drawbacks to this placement.
I have the same situation -- iPhone6+ is quite huge, especially if you try to place it in our 3IS cabin which doesn't have a lot of room to play with.

I actually tried the KENU AIRFRAME PLUS air vent mount for an hour and had to return it. The problem with some air vent mounts is the back of the mount will hit the elements of the vent in 3IS. More clearance is needed. I believe it is not the problem with all cars, however.

Another thing is you will see more condensation in the vent grille where you place a phone of such a big size. Last time, it only took 15 minutes to see the condensation built up on the vent grilles. When I stopped my car, condensation occurred only on the vent I placed the big phone.
Old 08-26-15, 07:08 AM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
I have the same situation -- iPhone6+ is quite huge, especially if you try to place it in our 3IS cabin which doesn't have a lot of room to play with.

I actually tried the KENU AIRFRAME PLUS air vent mount for an hour and had to return it. The problem with some air vent mounts is the back of the mount will hit the elements of the vent in 3IS. More clearance is needed. I believe it is not the problem with all cars, however.

Another thing is you will see more condensation in the vent grille where you place a phone of such a big size. Last time, it only took 15 minutes to see the condensation built up on the vent grilles. When I stopped my car, condensation occurred only on the vent I placed the big phone.
Take a look at my 'solution' above that I posted last night. I put it on last night and used it this morning for the first time on my commute, and I ahve to say I'm quite happy with it. Its super strong, and the placement is about as good as its gonna get I believe.
Old 08-26-15, 10:04 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Take a look at my 'solution' above that I posted last night. I put it on last night and used it this morning for the first time on my commute, and I ahve to say I'm quite happy with it. Its super strong, and the placement is about as good as its gonna get I believe.
Thanks AcuraCL for the your solution.

The placement is considered a good one as it is considered in the line of sight. The downside is you can't do a landscape mode but it is a minor gripe.

However, it won't work for me, unforuntately, as I still use the CD/DVD slot.
Old 08-26-15, 11:36 AM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndyL
Thanks AcuraCL for the your solution.

The placement is considered a good one as it is considered in the line of sight. The downside is you can't do a landscape mode but it is a minor gripe.

However, it won't work for me, unforuntately, as I still use the CD/DVD slot.
Actually landscape still works just fine. I dont have my wife's phone with me to show that but it works out just fine.

And the CD slot isn't permanently blocked, either turn to landscape or remove the phone, do your CD/DVD business, and put the phone back.
Old 08-26-15, 12:04 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Actually landscape still works just fine. I dont have my wife's phone with me to show that but it works out just fine. And the CD slot isn't permanently blocked, either turn to landscape or remove the phone, do your CD/DVD business, and put the phone back.
Thanks AcuraCL. Really appreciate it.

If that is the case, it is potentially the best location to stick to the phone without (1) suction cup/adhesive tape on the front window which is blocking the view or in some case blocking the side airbag; (2) suction cup/adhesive tape on vinyl surface where it would leave a mark or blocking the passenger front airbag.

Will look into it.
Old 08-26-15, 04:30 PM
BossHu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised no one uses the mount from ProClipUSA.com.

I've had it since my 3IS350F, fits my RCF as well.

Old 08-26-15, 07:45 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BossHu
I'm surprised no one uses the mount from ProClipUSA.com.

I've had it since my 3IS350F, fits my RCF as well.

I used to be a big fan of proclip mounts. I've had it in several of my last few cars, including my 335i. The problem with it in that car is that it covered the vent. And living in FL on a hot summer day black/black car thats been out in the sun, it sucked. I paid quite a bit for it (relatively speaking) so I kept it and used it for the 3 years I owned the car.

This time around with the IS I looked at it again and the only option was again one that covered the vent (as you know). I didn't want to go that route again. In addition, the one I ended up with (posted above) was a fraction of the cost and honestly works just as well if not better since the holder isn't bulky (there is no holder, just magnet)
Old 12-29-16, 02:46 PM
tamerica
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone tried to remove the hump behind the mouse controller?
I've tried searching the forums but no luck.

Seems like a great place to put your phone if there aren't any electronics/wiring in the hump.

Old 12-30-16, 02:15 AM
beezmarkee
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 12-30-16, 07:33 AM
JayC708
Driver School Candidate

Great little magnetic mount I got on amazon about 3 months ago. Holds my 6s Plus great without any drops so far. Magnetic head rotates, so you can get a wide range of viewing angles
Attached Thumbnails 3IS - Where do you place your phone?-unnamed.jpg  

Last edited by JayC708; 12-30-16 at 07:35 AM. Reason: pic
Old 12-30-16, 09:45 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by beezmarkee
hmm, right over the passenger airbag? i'd be wary about flying object going towards your face when the airbag deploys
The following users liked this post:
jimmyc13 (09-28-18)
Old 12-30-16, 10:14 AM
isosunrise
Pole Position

On the right side on my seat where that piece of fabric is to parent things from falling.
Old 06-14-17, 08:38 PM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Can anybody confirm a good cd slot mount that's magnetic that works?

i bought two different ones from wiz gear on Amazon and they were loose in the cd slot. They work good in my other car that's why I want a magnetic vs an actual phone grip one so its easy to switch between cars.

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-17, 11:26 PM
akito
Rookie

Originally Posted by DjRiDe
Can anybody confirm a good cd slot mount that's magnetic that works?

i bought two different ones from wiz gear on Amazon and they were loose in the cd slot. They work good in my other car that's why I want a magnetic vs an actual phone grip one so its easy to switch between cars.

Thanks in advance!
Try Anker. Friend uses it in his CT and NX.
Old 06-15-17, 11:57 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I use this, tried the cd-slot mount but buttons get blocked.

Quick Reply: 3IS - Where do you place your phone?