IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Consumer Reports hates the new IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 04:49 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Answer me this -- Why would Lexus introduce a new model with a new suspension, new tranny, new gauge, new seats, add 3 inches to the car -- and run this risk of throwing in a new engine? Why would they assume that risk when the power plant is still one of the best available even if dated? Why? Their reputation -- their one key big competitive differentiator is their reliability.
Exactly, Lexus quality is likely their highest priority. Zero problems with my car, and I'm not interested in a noisy, vibrating and problem prone four banger with turbo lag in order to achieve slightly better fuel economy and 0 - 60 times.
Old 02-27-14, 04:57 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answer me this -- Why would Lexus introduce a new model with a new suspension, new tranny, new gauge, new seats, add 3 inches to the car -- and run this risk of throwing in a new engine? Why would they assume that risk when the power plant is still one of the best available even if dated? Why? Their reputation -- their one key big competitive differentiator is their reliability.
I don;t know what you're talking about there.. What risk.. What risk could Lexus have if they'd introduce an ALL NEW model? The risk of having more sales?
Myself and many others buyers of IS250 find no reason to update. I cannot justify spending $20k on the "new"IS250 model. I would gladly do itif I would get a new engine with better gas mileage, faster but the competition is looking more and more appealing. No wonder Mercedes/BMW are the best sellers despite their reliability issues, they know what to offer. BMW changed everything with F30 not just the design and chairs and remove the sunglasses holder. New engine suspension gearbox.. they sell like pancakes and they don;t have to brag with 335, 328 it's best in class.
Old 02-27-14, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

They should have done something to these engines, a little more power, a little different tuning. Something so they could say they have an updated power plant. The engine doesn't have to be "all new"...

But, by leaving the old power plants as is they give their competitors a huge selling proposition against them which is unwise IMHO.

I know you don't feel Lexus can do any wrong, but I think this is an oversight I'm in the GS which has the carryover engine too, and while it certainly is serviceable I too would have appreciated a new or updated engine. from the one my buddy has thats 4 years old.
Old 02-27-14, 05:21 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I don;t know what you're talking about there.. What risk.. What risk could Lexus have if they'd introduce an ALL NEW model? The risk of having more sales?
Myself and many others buyers of IS250 find no reason to update. I cannot justify spending $20k on the "new"IS250 model. I would gladly do itif I would get a new engine with better gas mileage, faster but the competition is looking more and more appealing. No wonder Mercedes/BMW are the best sellers despite their reliability issues, they know what to offer. BMW changed everything with F30 not just the design and chairs and remove the sunglasses holder. New engine suspension gearbox.. they sell like pancakes and they don;t have to brag with 335, 328 it's best in class.
Sigh. Do you have a 3IS sucks alert set up?
Old 02-27-14, 05:29 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
They should have done something to these engines, a little more power, a little different tuning. Something so they could say they have an updated power plant. The engine doesn't have to be "all new"...

But, by leaving the old power plants as is they give their competitors a huge selling proposition against them which is unwise IMHO.

I know you don't feel Lexus can do any wrong, but I think this is an oversight I'm in the GS which has the carryover engine too, and while it certainly is serviceable I too would have appreciated a new or updated engine. from the one my buddy has thats 4 years old.
I do think Lexus can do wrong. I'm not a fan boy. As a long time business owner I am based in economic realities though. I have a to make risk, reward, potential profit, potential loss decisions every day. I have to mitigate the potential for a misstep every day. II know my company has a huge development and R&D cost in order to roll out a software that may or may not make us money. I know I'm not Google. And Lexus, operated as a separate business from Toyota, is not as wealthy and as brand established as BMW. The one thing it has over all cars is reliability. Why would they run the risk of killing their 1 advantage by rolling out a new engine along with all of the other new tech? The engine unless fully optimized could hurt them big if it has problems. Why not roll with an engine MT says is still world class until they are sure they have engines that are winners?

You and others never answer my questions. You just keep saying "they should've."
Old 02-27-14, 05:32 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh. Do you have a 3IS sucks alert set up?
No, you just don;t make sense.
Old 02-27-14, 05:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Guys knock off the personal comments or exit this thread.
Old 02-27-14, 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I think the bottom line is its frustrating to be spoon fed things. When the competition comes out with a new model...it has a new motor...or at least a revamped motor. Lexus is not a startup, it has enormous resources behind it both from within the Lexus umbrella and within the Toyota company as a whole. These engines are in production and design for years and years before they come out. Its just frustrating to have the GS and IS be such great cars and be held back because their engines are older and less powerful than the competition. I can't even count how many times I've read "its a great car with a great chassis...begging for more power"...
Old 02-27-14, 06:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think the bottom line is its frustrating to be spoon fed things. When the competition comes out with a new model...it has a new motor...or at least a revamped motor. Lexus is not a startup, it has enormous resources behind it both from within the Lexus umbrella and within the Toyota company as a whole. These engines are in production and design for years and years before they come out. Its just frustrating to have the GS and IS be such great cars and be held back because their engines are older and less powerful than the competition. I can't even count how many times I've read "its a great car with a great chassis...begging for more power"...
SW13GS, I think you've made that point sufficiently. Let's move on from that topic in this and future 3IS threads please.