IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD system ? Tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 06:44 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AWD system ? Tech

Anyone have any information about the 3IS AWD ? I would like to know how many LSD it has, is there any electrical clutch ? Is it Based on RWD ? or FWD. The more specific detail, the better. Thank you
Old 03-05-14, 09:40 AM
narkotic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it to be more for poor weather / road conditions and not for performance (EVO / GTR, etc).

I've heard there are no LSD's installed.
Old 03-05-14, 12:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I am not so sure how great this site is, but I came across this explanation, and it seems to mostly jive with what I know about the Lexus AWD system. The article is a couple years old but I believe it's still applicable. Perhaps this helps?

The Lexus AWD system is similar in design and function to Nissan’s ATTESA-ETS. The transmission is mounted to the back of the engine, with a driveshaft going to the rear differential. A planetary-gear type limited slip differential is attached to the transmission, with output to it regulated by a multi-plate clutch transfer case. This differential on the rear of the transmission powers a drive shaft which sends power back to the front axle – just like the Nissan, only slightly more complicated. In normal driving, the power split is about 80% rear, but it can send up to 50% to the front axle.
http://www.carthrottle.com/the-carth...luxury-sedans/
Old 03-05-14, 01:54 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Lexus Literature:

Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
This traction-enhancing system distributes power to the front and rear axles during normal driving, and resists sending power to an axle that encounters a low-grip surface.
• A planetary-type center differential and chain drive provide robust, reliable power transfer.
• A wet clutch helps keep an axle from spinning if the front or rear tires encounter slick pavement.
• The clutch engages smoothly and avoids binding when making tight turns.
• Traction control is specially tuned to work in concert with the all-wheel-drive system.

• A robust differential continually delivers power to the front and rear axles.
• The planetary gear design eliminates binding when making sharp turns.
• The wet-clutch limited-slip device helps to keep wheels from spinning on very slippery surfaces.
• Electronic controls help the system respond quickly to changing road and driving conditions

VDIM with Sport Mode:
• One of the high-performance features included on IS 250 and IS 350 F SPORT sedans.
• When VDIM Sport Mode is selected, the VSC and TRAC programming switch to a high-performance mode that raises the threshold at which the systems intervene.
• VDIM Sport Mode allows the driver to accelerate, corner and, in some cases brake more aggressively, without activating VSC.
• VDIM Sport Mode allows the driver to accelerate from a corner or pull away from a dead stop with TRAC operating in A-LSD mode—simulating a limited-slip differential.
• Each time the vehicle is started, VDIM defaults to normal mode
Old 03-05-14, 02:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ Good info mcomer. Thanks!
Old 03-10-14, 04:08 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much for the sweet info