IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Issues with tinting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 03:50 PM
IS35OF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.

Could any of you by any chance get a photo of the lower corners of your rear windscreens where it meets the parcel shelf post window tint application?

I have made enquiries with arguably the best window tinter in Australia and he too said that rear windows on Lexus cars are, worldwide, a major concern for and feared by tinters. I am waiting on further replies from him at this stage....
Old 03-05-14, 03:54 PM
IS35OF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
IS350F: If you mentioned money is not the issue, perhaps time and "fuel" is not an issue as well? Perhaps you should consider calling the other place 2.5 hrs away and explain your story, see what they say.
By money not being an issue - I mean I would happily pay good money ($750+) to know the job is done well and my interior not be destroyed which I have seen happen before...

Fuel is no issue, neither is driving the 5hr return trip to have it done.... It's just the time and trying organise a full day off to drive it down there, then another day to pick it up again...
Old 03-05-14, 04:04 PM
Stickyiqqy
Driver School Candidate

I have the ML system and got my rear window tinted and the my guy didn't remove or dissemble anything in order to put on the tint. If you really want the tint, i would drive the 2.5 hours to get it done.
Old 03-05-14, 08:10 PM
breezytint
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some pics of my IS and tint. Also, I included a pic of the tool that must be used for the back window in order for the installation to be clean and error free.....hope this helps.

Old 03-06-14, 12:12 AM
morton87
Rookie

The shop i had my tint done didn't complain about a thing, cost about 400 for 18% of CXP all around except front windshield taking about 3 hours to do it. Though this particular shop does does a lot of luxury style and high cars like Lexus, Audi's, BMW's, Porches, Lamborghinis, Lotus and etc. At some point once i get some of the nicks and dings repaired on the front end of my car ill be taking it back for a full noise PPF
Old 03-06-14, 01:57 AM
IS35OF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much to everyone, especially breezytint for the images

Coincidently, this afternoon I came across a 3IS locally with tinted windows and managed to track down the owner and the place that installed the tint.

I'll be making some enquiries tomorrow about getting it booked in to have it done. I'm very happy that I won't be the "guinea pig" having seen one they've already done with flawless results.

I knew there'd be someone around capable of doing it, and doing it without disassembling everything, just seems most shops here are only interested in the simple jobs!
Old 03-06-14, 02:00 AM
IS35OF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by breezytint
[/URL]
This is the exact look I'm hoping for, thanks breezy, it looks terrific!
Old 03-06-14, 09:13 AM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

My installer did have an issue with the rear panel, but I think it was their fault. They didn't charge me more because of it and just reapplied the rear tint before I came to pick up the car.
Old 03-06-14, 04:41 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i watched them tint mine and it was no problem whatsoever using a thin squeegee to slide the tint down the glass and under the rear brake light then smooth it out with a thin squeegee.
if your tint shop cannot do this simple task without taking the car apart, go to another more competent shop! they guys who did mine made it look so easy it wasn't even an issue!