IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Apple Car Play

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 12:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I was more interested in it before reading this review of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on C&D. Seems there is a lot that they can not do.

Any technology that takes more phones out of drivers’ hands is good. But both of these systems reduce distraction by reducing usefulness. As much as they promise phone mirroring, they don’t really work like your phone.
That leaves the ability to beam navigation to the car’s screen (provided the car lacks factory nav) as the most notable reason to use CarPlay or Android Auto. Even then, Google Maps is strictly compatible with Android Auto while CarPlay is stuck with the crummier Apple Maps. Waze and its critical cop-locating feature isn’t compatible with either, so you’ll still be staring at your phone to use this popular driver’s tool.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/apple-c...e-of-the-year/
Old 09-18-15, 05:50 PM
akshunj
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't want anything from Apple in my car.
Old 09-18-15, 10:33 PM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apple car play is nice but won't be available in any Lexus. Lexus is keen to be the worst infotainment producer, they have no plan to improve.
Old 09-19-15, 11:53 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really sucks you have to use Apple Maps as Google Maps is so much better
Old 10-19-18, 11:21 AM
malema
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carplay in stock Navi

I have done this in my car and it works flawlessly.

1,I bought a bare Navtool ($200 one), and used it to tap into my Navi screen, did back up camera on one input and brought the other RCA video inside the cabin.
2, bought a general Carlinkit Carplay device from China ($100) and connected the RCA video to the one I brought inside the cabin from Navtool.
3, bought a Vaisetech for Audio integration, then did a two to one audio connection and connected the carplay and a bluetooth adapter to it.
4, ground loop isolators were necessary

So now, when I enter the car, my phone automatically connects to the bluetooth but switches to carplay when I connect it to the USB of the carplay device. works really well and I got to keep my stock everything, sound is really clear and good as well.

Also Navtool and vaisetech are made in America so I doubt itll ever break, for now I have the chinese carplay device working well, if a new technology further then carplay comes out, ill just swap the chinese device inside the cabin (easy and cost efficient), everything else is permanent.
Old 10-19-18, 11:22 AM
malema
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh also my carplay has started supporting google map since last week, maybe an update?
Old 10-19-18, 01:24 PM
luiave
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by malema
Oh also my carplay has started supporting google map since last week, maybe an update?
I happen to work at an Apple Store and yes, along with iOS 12.. Carplay now supports 3rd party Nav apps like Google Maps and Waze.
Old 10-19-18, 01:53 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I made a video about my aftermarket screen running Apple CarPlay. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-carplay.html
Old 10-19-18, 01:54 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Old 12-13-18, 02:39 PM
hwaheed
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem with NavTool

I installed NavTool but I faced problem with rear camera that when shift into reverse it gives me black screen and not showing my camera on screen
Originally Posted by malema
I have done this in my car and it works flawlessly.

1,I bought a bare Navtool ($200 one), and used it to tap into my Navi screen, did back up camera on one input and brought the other RCA video inside the cabin.
2, bought a general Carlinkit Carplay device from China ($100) and connected the RCA video to the one I brought inside the cabin from Navtool.
3, bought a Vaisetech for Audio integration, then did a two to one audio connection and connected the carplay and a bluetooth adapter to it.
4, ground loop isolators were necessary

So now, when I enter the car, my phone automatically connects to the bluetooth but switches to carplay when I connect it to the USB of the carplay device. works really well and I got to keep my stock everything, sound is really clear and good as well.

Also Navtool and vaisetech are made in America so I doubt itll ever break, for now I have the chinese carplay device working well, if a new technology further then carplay comes out, ill just swap the chinese device inside the cabin (easy and cost efficient), everything else is permanent.
Old 12-14-18, 01:45 PM
chanman3IS
Driver School Candidate

any links to this NavTool?