IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

in need of some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 12:31 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default in need of some advice

So guys here my small dilemma. I have a white 350 fsport. and after washing it and waxing it this weekend, I was just staring and admiring it. I said to myself wow what a beautiful car. my plans were to wrap my roof in black vinyl and order a roof spoiler and have the guy wrap that in black vinyl as well. but after seeing how good my car looks the way it is, I wonder if ill hate the black roof and just end up taking it off. im really torn. any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys.
Old 03-11-14, 06:00 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was in the same boat. personally, i didn't get it, but that's just me. i came to this conclusion by thinking about my first import and how much fun i had modding it. at that young of an age everything was modding, even painting the stupid stock wheels black. it was okay--sort of-- to rice things back then and play around as everyone was. now that i'm 30, i realize i drive a nice luxury sport compact sedan to a corporate office. i think its time to give up the old childish shenanigans. my IS wasn't designed with the black glass panoramic roof--why try to make it seem like it has one? this is the same reason i asked myself why do people put huge wings on their cars, stickers all over, and anything else they can get their hands on when they only drive their vehicle on the streets and they don't even sponsor, race, or show their cars? just cause you have a loud exhaust it won't make your car go fast, likewise, just cause you wrapped your roof doesn't mean you actually have a panoramic glass roof. don't get me wrong, i love the black look of a real panoramic roof, but the wrapping is a bit much for me. i eat rice, i don't want to put it on my car lol. but hey, to each is their own.
Old 03-11-14, 08:39 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't do it as most cars that has a panoramic roofs on the streets are sonatas and not s class binz ... It will look cheap on the lexus is but that's my opinion .
Old 03-11-14, 08:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

take a pic of your car and photoshop the roof
Old 03-11-14, 10:41 AM
FusterCluk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped my UW in satin black, it looks amazing. I say go for it. Roof spoiler is next for me.
Attached Thumbnails in need of some advice-1798766_10202397665414482_1777662203_n.jpg  
Old 03-11-14, 12:17 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it's not really about replicating the panoramic glass roof as it is about blending the rear (tinted) window, sunroof, etc. The sunroof on a white car stands out like a sore thumb, and a black roof resolves the issue, but only if it's done right. If you do a vinyl black gloss roof, that usually looks dull and cheap, and doesn't have that sharpness of car paint or glass...All depends on how picky you are about quality. I wouldn't be happy with anything that looks different from black glass...A friend of mine had vinyl and took it off in favor of paint, it was a night and day difference...If you gotta go with vinyl (for obvious reasons), do it matte black. Or have a shop plastidip it matte, but not with a can...A buddy of mine (pro painter) did a whole car matte black with a spray gun and it came out really sick. And normally you'll get mixed opinions on this so you gotta just decide for yourself. A properly painted roof will look great, you'll appreciate it no doubt. A cheaply done roof though - you'll hate it and wish you'd never messed with the car in the first place.

And another thing, just on a side note...It has nothing to do with what car it is when it comes to mods: a cheap civic or a luxury sports sedan or a hyper car. The idea behind modding has always been to make yours look a bit (or a lot) different from the rest, same as you'd do with your clothes, hair, etc. The reality of it is though that not a lot of people have taste, but a lot of them want to mod their cars, so the ratio of rice vs. tasteful is off, which, in turn, discourages many folks to touch their cars at all. And some just overdid it at an early age and now want to avoid the tacky look, which is logical. Just approach each modification with a sense of style, take your time, plan it out, go through tons of pics of whatever you're about to do as it has been done before. It's always better to get one quality part for your car each year than to get 10 cheap ones which diminish the overall quality. Like some people running aftermarket wheels that are thinner/more sunken than stock...But they are different though! Back to the roof subject...Take a few pics of your car from different angles. Photoshop a black roof and decide if it's the look you want. Once that's done, then just do it right and you won't regret it. I'm in the same boat, trying to decide which direction to go with for my roof. I know for a fact that I want it black, just not sure if it's a quality vinyl (matte or something else) or plastidip. Luckily, both can be taken off if not happy with the look.

P.S. The car posted above looks great! That would be enough for me to want mine blacked out for sure.
Old 03-11-14, 01:37 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Thanks so much for the input guys. And yes FusterCluk's picture did actually help me lean towards doing it a little. The black and white contrast looks great. And yeah modding is Definetly making the car different and really your own style. Subtle but not to much is Definetly the look I want to go for. A clean look with little things that brings out the beauty of this car even more
Old 03-29-14, 02:03 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

hey guys to thanks to your advice I decided to do the vinyl wrap and Xpel clear bra in one shot.
I got quoted $325 to wrap the roof and $80 to wrap my roof spoiler.
$650 to do the xpel clear bra, full bumper part of the hood, fenders and two mirrors. the place Im doing it at is called The Tint Shop In bayside, queens for any of my local people that may have experiences there and would like to chime in.

Based on your experiences are these good prices? ive shopped around and got quoted much more for these things, but this guy got pretty good reviews and the price seems reasonable.

ALSO, I am financing the car, so down the road would I have any issues with the vinyl roof? if I decide to remove it in a few years could it potentially damage the paint? thanks for your responses guys!
Old 03-29-14, 02:25 PM
Jaydemm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shivad87
hey guys to thanks to your advice I decided to do the vinyl wrap and Xpel clear bra in one shot.
I got quoted $325 to wrap the roof and $80 to wrap my roof spoiler.
$650 to do the xpel clear bra, full bumper part of the hood, fenders and two mirrors. the place Im doing it at is called The Tint Shop In bayside, queens for any of my local people that may have experiences there and would like to chime in.

Based on your experiences are these good prices? ive shopped around and got quoted much more for these things, but this guy got pretty good reviews and the price seems reasonable.

ALSO, I am financing the car, so down the road would I have any issues with the vinyl roof? if I decide to remove it in a few years could it potentially damage the paint? thanks for your responses guys!
Thats pretty pricey. My guy here in Southern California will do the roof for $150 and spoilers for roughly $60. Clear bra came out to $475 all with 3M materials.
Old 03-29-14, 02:43 PM
Alius
Pole Position

I'm getting mine wrapped in gloss black this Tuesday, I say if you like the look go for it, I personally like it as it stands out from the rest of 3ISs and makes the car have that sexy contrast of black and white

Here's another pic of someone who did it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneight...57640151905423

Last edited by Alius; 03-29-14 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 03-29-14, 04:09 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jaydemm
Thats pretty pricey. My guy here in Southern California will do the roof for $150 and spoilers for roughly $60. Clear bra came out to $475 all with 3M materials.
wow I couldn't find anything remotely close to those prices where I live. I guess that's NY prices for you. even in Cali you guys are getting better deals on your 3IS' too haha. might end up moving there myself
Old 03-29-14, 04:12 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alius
I'm getting mine wrapped in gloss black this Tuesday, I say if you like the look go for it, I personally like it as it stands out from the rest of 3ISs and makes the car have that sexy contrast of black and white

Here's another pic of someone who did it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneight...57640151905423
yes Alius I totally agree I want to make my Fsport stand out from the rest as well. Already have a few tricks up my sleeve for this summer . but where are you getting your wrap done? and if you don't mind me asking how much are you paying? btw still jealous of your fogs, wish they weren't so expensive haha. did you get the package with the stalk for the steering wheel as well? if so how does it look? id love to see a pic
Old 03-29-14, 06:46 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shivad87
yes Alius I totally agree I want to make my Fsport stand out from the rest as well. Already have a few tricks up my sleeve for this summer . but where are you getting your wrap done? and if you don't mind me asking how much are you paying? btw still jealous of your fogs, wish they weren't so expensive haha. did you get the package with the stalk for the steering wheel as well? if so how does it look? id love to see a pic
I'm getting it done with 631coatings in Long Island for $200, will take about 3-4 hours.

Haha, I do love my fogs, pricey but worth it!

Here's the pic I posted back then: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ht-now-71.html
Old 03-29-14, 07:27 PM
Jack1995
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if my suggestion is too late or not, but if you are going to wrap the roof, make sure they wrap the antenna with single piece of vinyl, many wrap shops out there would go with two pieces of vinyl for easy install. But it looks whole lot different when you look close up, it is possible to wrap with one piece, I took off the vinyl the tint shop did for me and re-wrapped it myself, it does make a difference, hope it helps