IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wimpy heater with no cold-weather package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 05:42 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wimpy heater with no cold-weather package?

I live where it's quite cold and snowy. As everyone probably knows, all the dealer stocks, here, are AWD cars with the optional cold-weather package which includes "high output heater".

I really prefer the RWD-only car with the 8-speed, for less money. I'm not worried about getting around, as I've driven a RWD BMW for over a decade, with Winter tires.

I would like having the high-output heater, but it (and the cold-weather package) is not available in the RWD car!

Does anyone have experience with the "standard heater and sub-zero (F) temperatures?
Old 03-11-14, 06:25 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving my 250 AWD no cold weather package in snow and frigid below 0 weather. My experience, the AWD really does it's job. It takes a forever for the heated seats to work, and they are pretty weak. Also once the engine gets warmer, the heater gets going, and I mean set it to HI and it will not disappoint. I can't imagine how hot the "high output heater" would get, because the standard heater gets hot, so hot I usually bring it down to 75. It's been 20 degrees where I'm currently at, was -5 to -20 in Dec-Jan.
Old 03-11-14, 06:53 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizlex
I live where it's quite cold and snowy. As everyone probably knows, all the dealer stocks, here, are AWD cars with the optional cold-weather package which includes "high output heater".

I really prefer the RWD-only car with the 8-speed, for less money. I'm not worried about getting around, as I've driven a RWD BMW for over a decade, with Winter tires.

I would like having the high-output heater, but it (and the cold-weather package) is not available in the RWD car!

Does anyone have experience with the "standard heater and sub-zero (F) temperatures?
While you probably won't get the heated steering wheels on RWD you shouldn't have any issues with standard heater that 3IS comes with for MN winters. I had my IS350 F Sport RWD since January 9th and I have no complaints about the heater. In fact I usually turn off the AC to heat the car. However there are a lot of people complaining about the heated seats due to it not getting very hot on the F Sport. It seems to only heat small section of the bottom cushion. I'm more disappointed that it doesn't come with cooled seats for the hot summer days.

Which local dealer are you planning to buy from? If you need a good sales rep to work with let me know and I'll give you the name of the one I worked with.
Old 03-11-14, 07:40 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SonyHome
While you probably won't get the heated steering wheels on RWD you shouldn't have any issues with standard heater that 3IS comes with for MN winters. I had my IS350 F Sport RWD since January 9th and I have no complaints about the heater. In fact I usually turn off the AC to heat the car.
So it can even deliver heat to the back? I have to say, I was annoyed when I saw there where two different heaters (I have never heard of that before!) and you need to get AWD to get the "good" one. I'm not getting the F-sport, so hopefully the heated seats will be good.

Did you see my thread on how the 8-speed operates in manual mode? I was wondering if it held the selected gear even when you stomp the gas (I hope so).

I appreciate the offer on the sales rep, but I'm already working with someone.
Old 03-11-14, 10:05 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dizlex
So it can even deliver heat to the back? I have to say, I was annoyed when I saw there where two different heaters (I have never heard of that before!) and you need to get AWD to get the "good" one. I'm not getting the F-sport, so hopefully the heated seats will be good.

Did you see my thread on how the 8-speed operates in manual mode? I was wondering if it held the selected gear even when you stomp the gas (I hope so).

I appreciate the offer on the sales rep, but I'm already working with someone.
I didn't know that Lexus had two different heaters for AWD & RWD. Are you sure that is correct? I suppose this shouldn't surprise me since they seem to do that a lot, ex. 8 speed on RWD vs 6 speed on AWD.

8 speed should hold the gear. it also has g force sensor to know when you are in a curve and will hold lower gear.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-14, 05:56 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

it may take a little while extra but mark my words, it'll melt you!
Lexus heat and a/c is always been great IMO
Old 03-12-14, 05:57 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

Old 03-12-14, 07:07 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I didn't know that Lexus had two different heaters for AWD & RWD. Are you sure that is correct? I suppose this shouldn't surprise me since they seem to do that a lot, ex. 8 speed on RWD vs 6 speed on AWD.

8 speed should hold the gear. it also has g force sensor to know when you are in a curve and will hold lower gear.

Good luck!
It's not AWD vs RWD, it's that the optional cold weather package (heated steering wheel, highintensity heater, headlight washers, etc) is only available if you get AWD.

Anyway, the good news is that with no cold weather package, you don't have those kind-of ugly headlight squirters on the front of the car.
Old 03-12-14, 08:08 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sc00b
Well, you're in Texas. I'm in Minnesota.