IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 02:25 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WWM
It's ridiculous to compare cars that are separated by $10,000 in price without keeping the price difference in mind. Of course a car that's $10,000 cheaper than another will suffer in one area or another over its more expensive counterpart. This is common sense. The point is, all of the whining about X car being slower/less luxurious than Y car is irrelevant without the proper context - the price being one part of the puzzle.
The Lexus IS350 F Sport is the top of the line from Lexus in the sports luxury sedan segment.
The Audi S4 is the top of the line from Audi in the sports luxury sedan segment.
The 335i is the top of the line from BMW in the sports luxury sedan segment.

They compete with each other.
Old 03-12-14, 03:08 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris2k5
The Lexus IS350 F Sport is the top of the line from Lexus in the sports luxury sedan segment.
The Audi S4 is the top of the line from Audi in the sports luxury sedan segment.

I agree with this statement
Old 03-12-14, 04:17 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HUH??!?

The IS-F would be the top of the line from lexus in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The S4 would be the top of the line from AUDI in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The M3 would be the top of the line from BMW in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The C63 AMG would be the top of the line from Mercedes in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The CTS-V would be the top of the line from Caddillac/GM in the sports luxury sedan segment,

The is350 F sport cant be top of the line if there is a car made above it

As for the OP, power goes hand in hand with the geometry of the car. It all is a factor in what suspension they use, wheel type and size as well as how big the car is. I think the IS350 Fsport power band is right where it needs to be compared to the 335i from bmw and the audi A4 (NOT S4, people only compare it because of its affordability). I guarentee if you put the is350 through numerous test among cars in its limited class, it will BLOW THE DOORS off those other cars. Not so much straight line racing, but I think the IS350 Fsport could be a key player on a road racing track. Lexus and many race teams wont ever put the IS350 on the track though because why put a is350 Fsport when it has its top of the line IS-F as well as now the RC-F. (there is a 2014 IS-F but not under the 3rd gen body style)

Someone posted a best motoring video yesterday or something where the IS-F spanked higher HP cars in a road course. Sorry if i come off grumpy but I don't like when people compare a C63 AMG that has 451hp, a supercharged Audi S4 with 350 hp where FI helps substantially through out the power band, to a NA IS350 that in reality puts down like 260+ to the wheels.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-12-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 04:31 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^
I think I've seen that guy sitting on a stoop midtown.
Old 03-12-14, 04:49 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
^^^
I think I've seen that guy sitting on a stoop midtown.
Probably... Ed Lover is everywhere sitting on peoples stoops lol
Old 03-12-14, 05:53 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
HUH??!?

The IS-F would be the top of the line from lexus in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The S4 would be the top of the line from AUDI in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The M3 would be the top of the line from BMW in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The C63 AMG would be the top of the line from Mercedes in the sports luxury sedan segment,
The CTS-V would be the top of the line from Caddillac/GM in the sports luxury sedan segment,

The is350 F sport cant be top of the line if there is a car made above it
You are WRONG.

1. The IS-F is not luxury. It is Lexus's sport tune division of cars.
2. The Audi RS4 is Audi's sport tune division car.
3. The M3 is not the top of the sports luxury market. It is BMW's sport tune division.
4. Same goes with Mercedes
5. CTS is not even in this class of cars.

IS-F = RS4 = M3 = C63 = Sport tuned models

IS350 = 335i = S4 = C350 (soon to be C400) = sport luxury models
Old 03-12-14, 06:00 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

By the way here is the base pricing:

BMW 335i - $43,400
Lexus IS350 F Sport - $43,585
Audi S4 - $48,100

The IS350 fits right into the German pricing scheme.

Here is the SPORTS TUNED car division base pricing:

BMW M3: $62,325
Lexus ISF: $63,600
Old 03-12-14, 06:28 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way here is the base pricing:

BMW 335i - $43,400
Lexus IS350 F Sport - $43,585
Audi S4 - $48,100

The IS350 fits right into the German pricing scheme.

Here is the SPORTS TUNED car division base pricing:

BMW M3: $62,325
Lexus ISF: $63,600
This is right.
The Germans have always been more expensive.
Thats why people buying Japs.

335i, Q50, S4, IS350, C350, Acura TL
These are all top model of the entry level luxury sedan.

RS4, M3/M4, C63, IS-F/RC-F
Performance line of the entry level luxury sedan.

However, the IS350 is the least powerful in its class (Not sure about the up coming TL but on the current going models)

335i 340hp (I know it's listed as 300hp but they are dynoed at 270whp. Its under-rated)
S4 380hp (Same as 335i, 300AWHP)
Q50 337hp (not to mention the 360hp hybrid)
2014 C350 302hp but 2015 330hp (And as usually the German under rating their power it should be more than that)

With all the effort of building an all new car Lexus should have put in a much more powerful engine to keep up with its competitors.
The new IS isn't the best in any aspect but it does everything thing very decently.
Oh and did I mention Lexus reliability too?
Old 03-12-14, 07:09 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^

Here in LA there's a lot of 2014 IS on the road now. Dozens and dozens. I see many more of them than I do O50's, CLA's, S4's. and C class. LA car buyers are very savvy. 99% of the IS's are 250's. Blows my mind because based on the posters on this forum -- the IS shouldn't be selling at all with it's old tech, Model T engines, and if they are selling it should be the 350.

But then again most people with a need for speed don't buy entry level luxury cars. People seem to buy entry level luxury cars for other reason than just straight line speed.
Old 03-12-14, 07:22 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I think if Lexus didn't try to milk us and change the freaking old engines with the new IS would have been the best in class.
None of the competition are using an over 8 years old engine.
I think this is where Lexus lost it.
And of course it's reliable...but than again if BMW was using today the same engine from 2006 , over the years they'll would have improved it and is was just as reliable as Lexus.
I think Germans always pushed their limits while Lexus played safe. Look at Mercedes.. to pull out 355hp out of an I4 2l engine..it's for me a piece of art. Lexus is not there yet IMO
Old 03-12-14, 07:35 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are WRONG.

1. The IS-F is not luxury. It is Lexus's sport tune division of cars.
2. The Audi RS4 is Audi's sport tune division car.
3. The M3 is not the top of the sports luxury market. It is BMW's sport tune division.
4. Same goes with Mercedes
5. CTS is not even in this class of cars.

IS-F = RS4 = M3 = C63 = Sport tuned models

IS350 = 335i = S4 = C350 (soon to be C400) = sport luxury models
Sorry, but you're the one who is wrong. No offense to the F-Sport owners, but it's clearly a MOSTLY cosmetic package. Yes, I know there's a suspension upgrade, but to compare it to BMW's M-cars or Audi's RS cars is clearly not appropriate.

Check out the hardware on an M3 sometime. More powerful motor. Bigger brakes. Limited-slip differential. They even replace a lot of the steel suspension components with beefy cast-aluminum parts.

Anyway, maybe I'm just old, but I'm not competing with other drivers, and 3.5L 306 HP motor is plenty powerful. The motor may be an "old" design, but that's cost savings that (hopefully) were passed-on to the consumer. If anyone doesn't like the package that Lexus offers, they are free to shop elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Deepverses (10-01-22)
Old 03-12-14, 07:39 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I think if Lexus didn't try to milk us and change the freaking old engines with the new IS would have been the best in class.
None of the competition are using an over 8 years old engine.
I think this is where Lexus lost it.
And of course it's reliable...but than again if BMW was using today the same engine from 2006 , over the years they'll would have improved it and is was just as reliable as Lexus.I think Germans always pushed their limits while Lexus played safe. Look at Mercedes.. to pull out 355hp out of an I4 2l engine..it's for me a piece of art. Lexus is not there yet IMO
Not exactly true.
The Germans are designed to have flaws so they can make profit on repairing.
They are so well engineered that if the warranty expires tomorrow it will break down the day after.
If you know the tech from the dealers they will tell you stay away from the modern Germans.
The following users liked this post:
Deepverses (10-01-22)
Old 03-12-14, 07:48 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Lets put it simple,
The F sport package (Not F ) is like Audi's S-line package, BMW's M-package, Infiniti's IPL, Acura's A-spec and Mercedes' AMG Sports package.
Its a SPORTS package of the line up.
Not the PERFORMANCE version of the line up.

Regardless its still the least powerful vehicle in its class.
Old 03-12-14, 07:48 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The only one that might come close is the M235i Coupe. Just built one on BMWUSA.com

Base MSRP $43,100, Black Sapphire Metaliic Paint $550, Premium Package $2,300, Technology Package $2,150, Heated Front Seats $500, Destination and Handling $925 = $49,525
I saw an M235i the other day. Very nice car. The interior is somewhat cheap, but what a mechanical package! If I was in the market for a 2-door, I would be very tempted.

Oh, just budget $500 for the upgraded brake calipers. Very nice!
Old 03-12-14, 07:51 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
Not exactly true.
The Germans are designed to have flaws so they can make profit on repairing.
They are so well engineered that if the warranty expires tomorrow it will break down the day after.
If you know the tech from the dealers they will tell you stay away from the modern Germans.
I don't think that's true. I drove an E46 for 13 years, and had NO major repair bills.

Well, for full disclosure, the GM-made transmission has become an issue (but it's still driveable).

Quick Reply: IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?